April 20, 2024, 02:03:27 PM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: [1] 2
1  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Re: challenge - all missions without losing any soldier on: February 26, 2024, 08:58:51 PM
That's crazy. I can't imagine how many tries of nearly each mission I would have to make. Good job!
2  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Dark Omen ReShade on: January 16, 2024, 09:23:23 PM
Hello everyone,

Since dgVoodoo virtually transforms Dark Omen into a modern DX10/11 application, I wanted to play around with the ReShade shader tool, just to see if there's a way to make it play nice with Dark Omen. There are tons of different shaders for ReShade including color grading, bloom, hdr etc. but I was especially interested in applying depth buffer based effects (especially Depth-of-Field blurring and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion).
I was semi successful, as Dark Omen can indeed produce a depth buffer for the effects, but on panoramic displays, in fullscreen mode it's stretched to full screen dimension from it original image 4:3 aspect ratio, so the shader effects aren't properly aligned with the rendered camera field of view. Fortunately in windowed mode depth buffer scales properly and I was able to run both DoF and SSAO effects.
While the extra shading provided by SSAO is pretty good and I intend to play the game with it, I wasn't able to find a DoF preset that wasn't to jarring for gameplay, so I consider it more as a tool for atmospheric screenshots  Smiley

Below are some screens:[attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=3]
3  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Table Top Recreations. Need help! on: September 25, 2023, 10:39:26 PM
Are these yours as well? Smiley

Wow, Olly, these GI are incredible! Great find
4  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: Sound problem on: June 05, 2023, 09:06:55 PM
Maybe it's not the best idea to necro such an old thread, but i wanted to thank Ghabry for his solution for audio problems. I've installed Dark Omen on a new Win 10 system today and quickly encountered an audio bug that was totally new to me.

Symptoms: Audio seems normal in the menu, but right after starting the battle audio randomly slows down and distorts (both music and sound effects).

Solution: Following Ghabry's advice I went: Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> *Playback device* -> Properties -> Advanced -> Default Format and reduced the sampling from 24 bit 96 kHz to 16 bit 48 kHz

...and the problem disappeared!
5  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! on: January 02, 2023, 09:52:50 PM
Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wishes! The hangover was pretty mighty this time  Wink
6  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Original Mindscape Dark Omen Artwork & Magazine Articles on: April 24, 2022, 08:05:13 PM
It seems that the cover picture comes from the "Circle of Blood" campaign supplement for 5th edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles, which came out in 1997, so soon before Dark Omen release. The campaign told a story of a clash between invading Undead forces under the command of Red Duke and Bretonnian army defending Aquitaine.

[attachment=1]

Split of Undead into two factions: Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings happened somewhere during the 5th edition, but I don't know whether "Circle of Blood" already implemented it. I'm only sure that the Vampire Counts armybook cemented this divide, but it came out at the very end of 5th Edition, in 1999. It also did away with all ranged units in Vampire roster, such as Skeleton Archers or Screaming Skull catapults, which from that point were moved to Tomb Kings army list.

As far as I'm aware, Dark Omen is based mostly on the 4th edition armybooks, roughly from 1993-1996.

7  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow Of The Horned Rat on: April 14, 2022, 12:52:49 PM
I've decided to check whether there are differences in missions between the PC and PSX versions of Shadow of The Horned Rat.
Turns out there are. Below are the screens from "Rescue Ilmarin" mission showing the significant change of Skaven army composition between the two versions of the game.
[attachment=1]
PC version:
3 x Clanrats
1 x Stormvermin
1 x Ratogre

PSX cersion:
1 x Clanrats
2 x Stormvermin
2 x Ratogre

This affects the balance of the mission as PSX version puts way more weight on Allor (Amber Wizard). The player needs to act quick and have enough points of Winds of Magic to cast and hit two Ratogres with at least one Amber Spear each (the spell which on PSX thankfuly has miles better pathfinding than in PC version). Fail to do so and the beasts will charge the still relatively unexperienced Grudgebringer Infantry and route them off the field.
Also worth noting is the fact that Clanrats are comparable in stats to Night Goblins, while Stormvermin are roughly equivalent of Big 'Uns, so the exchange of 2 Clanrat regiments for 1 Stormvermin and 1 Ratogre is quite a good deal for Skaven.

I wonder whether similar changes affecting the mission balance were applied to PSX port of Dark Omen. Maybe some day I'll have enough time to check it all, but it won't be soon  Tongue

Also note that the PSX version looks way nicer here than on the original hardware. RetroArch allowed me for numerous upgrades not possible on PSX, like: 4x higher rendering resolution, bilinear filtering, texture perspective correction etc.
8  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: Higher resolution? on: April 13, 2022, 08:45:19 PM
Is it posible to achive 1024x768? And if so, how would one do this? Smiley
I'm running Win 10 if that is to any help at all.

Thanks!

I know it's an old thread, but maybe someone will still find the info useful.
I'm using dgVoodoo 2, a wrapper simulating the Voodoo era graphics cards to play Dark Omen (see this thread http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/3d-mode-in-windows-10-t1452.0.html for more info).  There, in DirectX tab, which allows to set up specific graphic settings, is a switch named "resolution" which allows to change rendering resolution of the 3D graphics in the game. Setting it to 1280x960 px effectively doubles the in-game 3D battlefield rendering resolution.
[attachment=1]
9  Warhammer Dark Omen / Multiplayer / Re: Anyone keen? Multiplayer revival? on: April 07, 2022, 05:05:51 PM
Hi, we already have a Discord server, although it's a little dead-ish. I'll sent you link in PM
10  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Covid19 on: March 26, 2020, 09:51:01 PM
@Jaroslav has offered great suggestion. I'm trying to complete Dark Omen for the first time (I'm on the "Axebite Pass" now). After setting up the dgVoodoo once more and bumping the resolution to 1280x1080 it looks great.

Stay safe everybody!
11  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Dark Omen Logo on: February 28, 2020, 09:04:43 PM
I couldn't find Dark Omen logo of a reasonable quality, so I decided to use my graphic skills to cut out the one from the original box and make some variants. Cropping is not perfect, but well, it is what it is. Posting it here, because it seems like the most appropriate place. Link: https://sta.sh/zip/2244seyk5x0a

(If posting download links on board is disallowed, please delete this post, thx)

Here are the previews:

and here is SoTHR logo as a bonus Cheesy

12  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Original Mindscape Dark Omen Artwork & Magazine Articles on: August 21, 2019, 05:23:03 PM
Yup, I have been lookig up the Polish magazines of the late 90's on the net to read the reviews of some of my favorite games and have stumbled upon several of the articles posted here.

PS: Starting with second half of your reply #9, these are actually Slovak magazines, not Polish  Grin

PS2: There are some great renders of the models used for SoTHR sprites though!
13  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Original Mindscape Dark Omen Artwork & Magazine Articles on: July 24, 2019, 02:49:36 PM
Awesome finds!

Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for the extra mission discs  Cry

Slightly off-topic:
Skimming through the Polish gaming magazines from the 90's, I've learned that both SoTHR and DO were quite big in my country, especialy among the fans of strategy games and RPG's (1st edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay was one of the first RPG systems to make it's way to Poland and as far as I know, it's still the most popular one as of 2019).
14  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Introduction / Re: Hello Dark Omen fans! on: July 23, 2019, 08:30:37 PM
You're the man
With our without the guide regardless
Thanks Evgen, beating the SoTHR was great, but seeing the Dark Omen Reborn project progress is even better. Thank you and everybody on DO Reborn team for your work. It's great to see it getting closer to being a 100% faithful DO recreation with each posted update.

15  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Introduction / Re: Hello Dark Omen fans! on: July 15, 2019, 05:14:37 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome Cheesy
I'm most certainly interested in the multiplayer portion of Dark Omen. Unfortunately I won't have much time in the next few weeks, but I should be on GameRanger from the beginning of August.
Pages: [1] 2