April 20, 2024, 05:15:10 PM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
46  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Total War: WARHAMMER on: May 04, 2016, 04:14:12 PM
Just curious what Dark Omen fans think of upcoming TW Warhammer based on all these sneak-peek videos?

Personally for me it looks like reskinned Attila with some new mechanics ofc but still nothing significantly new. We will see soon whether it is bad or good but it is already pity that battle mechanic will unlikely to be close to tabletop.
47  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Re: few questions regarding mechanics DO on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:23 PM
Hello!
Does anyone know what dice system is used for rolls in original games (SOTHR and DO)?
As regiments stats and some other mechanics are taken from tabletop rules I presume it is supposed to be D6 system but still not 100% sure.

P.S.
sorry for necro-post
48  Modifications / 3D Scenery Models / Re: Warhammer Age of Reckoning Modding on: April 21, 2016, 08:07:01 PM
Looks really nice!
49  Modifications / 3D Scenery Models / Re: Mark Of Chaos & Battle March Modding on: March 21, 2016, 12:56:33 PM
Sounds great but I did not get will Dark Omen 2 be based on Total War game? Or Mark of chaos game? Or you just took visual content from those two games and adapted it to native Dark Omen?
I mean battle mechanic of which game will be used for Dark Omen 2?
50  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Why do you adore Dark Omen? on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:50 PM
Some really nice points out there. These should be putted together in some doc which will outline for developer core concept of the next DO successor game, I guess.
Any developers of our dream here? No? Pity Smiley
51  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Why do you adore Dark Omen? on: January 31, 2016, 10:48:26 PM
Good topic ->
1)True line of sight,
2)Magic and Anti Magic,
3)Flanking bonuses,
4)Hero button interaction, Excellent User Interface
5)Not just CavalryVArchersVPike (paper/rock/stone)
6)Ability to change the course of the Battle by utilising such a wide range of tactics
7)Micro management rather than drag selecting your whole army and Blob attacking, to then sit back to witness the outcome (boring in Dawn of War/Total War/Mark Of Chaos/Battle March which are all great looking games but you shouldn't have time to admire the view, during a proper battle, only on replays).
8 )Random dice throws, Random Wind of Time affecting each battle
9) Beautiful scenery all set in a Warhammer world but would still love the Engine, even if it was set in another time period
10) Multiplayer unspoilt as no building tech tree racing like other RTS games and Single Player allows you to improve your troops' experience throughout the campaign (almost like an RPG story mode)
Thanks for this list, Olly! It clarified some points which I previously thought about but was not 100% sure Smiley

Now all mod tools are completed, we are busy adding new Races (Dark Elves, Skaven, Dwarfs, Wood Elves) and new 3d heads, up to 19v19 units for Total War sized alternative large scale battles, Banners and new Battle Maps with new scenery, to improve upon an already awesome game.
Smiley
19 vs 19 units scale!? Wow!
Did you tuned controls a bit? If not, you should really need to be a badass veteran player to manage so much regiments at once, I guess ))
You made so much for DO already that it almost looks like a sequel! Smiley Hopefully, you will make a real one one day

52  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: Why do you adore Dark Omen? on: January 30, 2016, 03:44:31 PM
also Dark omen is more an arcad game in is fight mecanic

Did you mean MOC is more arcade or I did not get your point may be.

Btw, found another discussion which clarifies several DO unique battle features really well, IMO
http://forum.dark-omen.org/tactical-wargaming-and-other-warhammer-games/any-other-games-with-some-of-dark-omens-mechanics-t1201.0.html 
53  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Why do you adore Dark Omen? on: January 29, 2016, 02:05:02 PM
I do not know any other game which would be similar to Dark Omen (and SOTHR ofc). "Wait! But there are also Mark of Chaos and Total War series" you will tell. Yes, they are supposed to be near to Dark Omen(DO). Especially, Mark of Chaos(MOC) which has the same setting, the same RTT genre and the same gameplay concept based on regiment battles. But MOC failed and failed horribly, IMO. Do not take me wrong, MOC is nice-looking game on its own but it fails to replicate this unique gameplay and feel which only Dark Omen has. IMO, the reason of this lies in battle mechanic of DO but I am not 100% sure.
Whatever the reason is in my case I am interested to hear your opinion. After so many years, what makes you to play DO over and over?
setting?
A good story?
Or may be battle mechanics?

Feel free to share your thoughts  Smiley
54  The Remake Project / General Suggestions / Re: Question about the Remake project on: December 16, 2015, 01:49:46 PM
Well noted. A Fantasy setting without magic is hardly imaginable.
By the way Ghabry, as I understand you have programming skills, so what would be your choice of engine for such Skirmish mode and why?
55  The Remake Project / General Suggestions / Re: Question about the Remake project on: December 16, 2015, 01:02:33 PM
Thank you for summing this up!
I am waiting for TW Warhammer myself and based on it's battle previews it is already clear that it could be as fun as other TW series but unfortunately it differs from SOTHR and DO battles.

May be 3D was a Unity issue at that time but now Unity as well as other free engines (Unreal 4) could be a much easier choice for indie team then development of your own engine. The choice also depends on your project goals of course.

4 vs 4 battles sounds cool but MOBA feature is not what made SOTHR and DO so unique, is it?
What I really want is to see the SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR of Dark Omen. If short but more precisely - Fantasy wargame with spectacular battles focused on regiment micromanagement with realistic physics and elements like morale, flanking, line of sight etc... and ofc magic (how could I forget) 
singleplayer? multiplayer? - secondary issue
real-time? turn-based? - secondary issue
Even Warhammer FB setting is irrelevant.
Basically, the main goal is to keep original and unique battle mechanic with some slight improvements and of course improved visuals and physics.

IMO, described task would be already a solid challenge for indie team and you should be careful with adding new features like 4 vs 4 multiplayer or you would risk making from it a neverending project.  

A proper way to achieve described task could be the following steps:
1. Outline unique and core pillars of desired game (MOBA is not necessary a core especially when you have Arena TW to compete with)
2. Prepare design document of good prototype (it could be just one battle but which reflects all core pillars of the game)
3. Gather indie team
4. Deliver well-made prototype
5. Go for crowdfunding

And based on result of crowdfunding it will be clear what other features can be added.  
56  The Remake Project / General Suggestions / Re: Question about the Remake project on: December 15, 2015, 06:03:02 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply. It is a pity to hear about the project.

I have not planned to create a remake of Dark Omen before but I will consider your offer Smiley
It is really a shame that there is still no sequel to such a prime wargame.

It seems that your mistake was to build everything around one person. In my opinion, it would be better to choose something from existing engines, e.g. Unity but I noticed that your started your project long ago may be that was the reason.

Did you keep design document or wiki for your project?
57  The Remake Project / General Suggestions / Question about the Remake project on: December 15, 2015, 12:31:25 PM
First of all many thanks to devs of mods. They are really fun and helped me to recall good old times when I played SOTHR and DO.

I found couple of threads about development of WARTBED separate engine if I understood correct and another idea to develop remake in Unity and I am wondering about their state. Are both projects cancelled or there is still a team or persons who are willing to develop the remake?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]