April 24, 2024, 08:18:03 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: 1 2 [3]
31  The Remake Project / General Suggestions / Re: Question about the Remake project on: September 25, 2016, 01:07:15 PM
Hello Forum.

As most of you I came here because I love Dark Omen game. I have been playing this game for many many years and still enjoy it. Games which were released after DO in my opinion do not even come close to DO (this includes Mark of Chaos and TW Warhammer). So after finish the campaign once again I googled to find whether there are more things in DO universe probably made by the community. That's how I found this site.

I was surprised that there are so many mods available (and I only begin to discover how cool they are). Of course modding capabilities are limited and pretty cumbersome since we don't have any original sources (and I doubt we ever will).

Being a programmer myself with exeprience in game development and rendering I decided I have to do something with this. I saw in the wiki there were several attempts to write editors and even engines, but no completed projects unfortunately.

What I want to do in short: create replica of the Dark Omen as close as possible to the original game mechanics.

Here's slightly longer description. I want to use UE4 to program game mechanics using original art assets (at least for the beginning). Make the project open (keeping it somewhere on github). If things will go well, then extend the core mechanics with newer features and remaked art. What I'm not going to do is to write the engine/editor from scratch since this will take eternity and will eventually fail for sure.

In short about me: I'm 30 y.o. Have been worked with many game engines throught the carrier (including XNA, Ogre3d, Unity and lately Unreal Engine 4). Have C++ and C# knowledge, slight background in 3d modelling and 2d processing (3dsmax and Photoshop). Currently working in one of the world leading company connected to game development and hardware (so unfortunately I can't make this project my main job). I am not an artist, so I mostly uncapable of creating 2d, 3d art or music, however I understand the processes.

What I need for starters: someone who is capable of directing me to the basics of the game mechanics (probably by giving links to wiki or something, since I've only started to explore the website and there are tons of details). I've completed the game many times, but never thought about recreating it before, so I need structural explanation. We can then discuss further plan.

Meanwhile I will continue to explore the forum and wiki to get basic information to start working on the terrain since it looks like the first thing to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]