April 27, 2024, 02:11:45 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: [1]
1  The Remake Project / General Suggestions / Re: Question about the Remake project on: January 27, 2017, 07:08:49 PM
Oh sweet! I didn't realize that project was moving forward as a community project. That's really cool! I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks for the info and updated links!
2  The Remake Project / General Suggestions / Re: Question about the Remake project on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:28 PM
Thanks for the rundown olly!

I stumbled across this site because I have been looking for a spiritual successor to Dark Omen for ages, but nothing has ever quite hit the mark. I think you and I have a pretty similar take on what makes Dark Omen so great.

In my mind, it comes down to creating a game with meaningful battlefield tactics - things like formation, positioning, terrain, and flanking should really be the focus. I think one of the things that Dark Omen really gets right is that focus on the tactics. A lot of other games incorporate concepts like that (e.g. the Total War series), but they miss the mark from a tactics perspective because of the focus on grand strategy elements. In those types of games, good strategy (i.e. how many units can I build) will pretty much always trump good tactics (i.e. how well can I use the units I have), so it makes the tactical side far less important. I think focusing on a single campaign, with some unit customization in between battles, really lets the tactical side shine.

I've done game dev on the side, mostly on nights and weekend, for about a decade. Recently, I was lucky enough to be able to convince my boss to let me work less hours and devote more time to game dev while keeping a paycheck, so I've decided to use that time to take a crack at making a game in this vein. The game I've started working on isn't meant to be a straight remake of Dark Omen, but rather a spiritual successor. It draws some pretty heavy inspiration from Dark Omen, but I'm also incorporating some elements from other strategy gems I've come across (e.g. Sid Meier's Gettysburg) and some new gameplay elements that I think could create a really unique offering.

I noticed that the Dropbox link to the previous remake attempts is dead; is there any way I might be able to get a copy of that? I'm sure there's a lot I could learn by taking a look through the previous attempts, so that would be a huge help.

Any other tips or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! In the mean time, I'm going to start digging through the wiki to see what I can learn.
Pages: [1]