March 28, 2024, 02:42:01 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: what is wartbed exactly?  (Read 15433 times)
Badazzz
Troll

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:07:19 AM »

Just wanting more info on what this is, a new omen game?

Mother night...wrap me in your dark embrace.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:42:19 AM »

Hello Badazzz

WARTBED will be a game engine for creating tactical real-time war games (like Dark Omen) developed by Mikademus. With this engine it will be very "easy" to create a new game like Dark Omen.

At the moment we try to decrypt the files from the original game and create a Map Viewer (rather Mikademus created one Wink ) for Dark Omen.

The next big step will be creating WARTBED (Mikademus) and learning C++ (Ghabry/olly/me/etc) to support Mika.

But I think Mika can tell you more about it. If you are interessted in joining/getting briefed/helping us, please visit the chat on ~10pm gmt +0.

Edit: see also the Developer Blog
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:49:00 AM by bembelimen » Logged

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »

Hi baddie! Welcome to this forum! I'll start posting here now since the main site is officially open! I just made a blog entry answering exactly your question, I hope that was what you wanted to know! Smiley

Badazzz
Troll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »

Yess the blog explained all, thank you so much.

Mother night...wrap me in your dark embrace.
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »

how is it going mika?
when should we hope to see any test version, if ever?

just wodnering Smiley

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

You will see a test version, have no fear. Work has been on hold for two weeks due to me moving flat and being overseas. I am very wary of releasing early, though, since the times before I've done so people have said silly shit like "that's not something I'd pay for" or whatever and lose interest because it didn't look like a $20 million game... So I'd rather have something roughly demoable before showing anything. The basic lesson is that people won't understand anything but a flash surface no matter how much you prepare them to look beyond the visuals, so regardless of how great the internals, simply don't show anything until it looks at least ok.

Nonetheless, the reason for it taking time is that I'm building a VERY solid base for the framework. Atm we have incredibly customisable input mappings, very flexible entity systems, a very solid messaging system, and a strictly implements model-view-controller architecture. If this doesn't sound like much, trust me it is, especially for what is essentially a one-man show.

You can always check the latest updates on the wartbed namespace of the wiki for an idea what's being worked on atm.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:46:39 AM by Mikademus, Reason: Spelling and grammar, and some bonus ranting » Logged

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »

I am very wary of releasing early, though, since the times before I've done so people have said silly shit like "that's not something I'd pay for"

Grass the name and I will burn the person  Grin
Anyways, if its going to be as good as the map viewer, i have no doubts that the result of your awesome work will be beyond my expectations.

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I thought I'd throw in a little update on what's happening. First, I have been away for about two weeks, so no new features have been added during that time Smiley But beyond that, and speaking of the DO map viewer, I'm currently working on the world (map) representation system. The map viewer was a bit of a hack and totally tied to DO. WARTBED will need a generic model capable of importing data for various systems. Therefore the next step, and the first test release you'll see, will probably be another viewer that is capable of loading DO maps, but this time inside the WARTBED framework. Again, on a visual level you'll likely not see much of a difference, but under the hood there's a frekkin' HUGE difference.

lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:44:50 AM »

mikademus you are my personal god, i have faith in you, i believe in you!!! you should be the president of all game developers in the world!

ito maquiesves
Nitrox
Skeleton Archer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »

mikademus you are my personal god, i have faith in you, i believe in you!!!

hah:D My too Grin
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 01:02:53 AM »

O.o

^o^)/

Thanks Smiley I know at least one project lead who'd disagree with you Cheesy

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:18:57 PM »

We should start collecting charitable donations to rent a (svn)server Cheesy

Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »

We should start collecting charitable donations to rent a (svn)server Cheesy
Nah, http://www.xp-dev.com/ is free.

See you, space scorpion !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: