March 28, 2024, 04:31:55 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We'll change  (Read 39341 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »

Olly you flatter me on that one  Embarrassed
I do want to work on a new campaign but I lack time - rl does not let me to concentrate, -and so far I am kind of stuck. Let me explain why, even though I am not sure it's a right thread for this.

When I edit a particular battle mission, I not only check if every army pops in a right place and time and behaves correctly, but also test the balance: I want missions to be not too easy not too hard, interesting and doable. In order to achieve that, I tweak and shift enemy units force and quantity. Also, it is extremely important to know what regiments are under my control by that mission, what is their strength, approximate experience etc. I decide what spells I set, what artifacts I should give etc etc.
That said, I prefer a certain order in which campaign is being prepared.
1. I decide what my army will look like. That is decided: it will be a wood elf army.
2. I need a set of  12+ elven units, I need to arrange them in order: strongest units shuold not join first, I need to edit WHMTG and set which unit joins before  which mission etc.
3. I make sprites as I can (I am not extremely good at it but still I prepare several myself and also use help of other DO fans and take their sprites if suitable)
4. At this particular campaign I would use 3 brand new maps - even though they may be simple, but it is important to have new maps: it will be a level up.

5. I open B1_01 and make things there. Mission by mission I prepare enemies, add new enemy sprites, edit what can be edited, then test how it looks: bugs, crashes, and mission balance.

So I am stuck at 2-3: I made sprites for 3 units, also took a couple of other fans sprites but it is not sufficient. I need probably 1-2 interesting armies more. I made a few attempts to make more sprites but so far they come out ugly Smiley When I have my army prepared and at least 1 new map (1 new map is important to place sooner rather than later in campaign) I will proceed to preparing battle missions. I hope for Olly's and Illidan's help with these things Smiley
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »

I'd be very excited to play a new mods/mini campaings for dark omen. On other side, I do understand quite big limitations of DO engine /editor and it seems logical to move into the other, perhaps, more friendly platform, like that other kickstater project.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »

Hello there !
'Been a (long) time I've checked what happened there (no rock throwing please  Embarrassed ). Looks like you made some good progress.
Now here's my question : I stopped trying playing DO because, in half of the multiplayer games/tournaments (using Hamachi) someone would crash, and that was kinda frustrating. Do you still have that problem ?

See you, space scorpion !
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »

Yes alavet, Empyrean Rule is due to come out next year and will become the ideal place for us all to play at the same time multiplayer (Dark Omen Guild). So shall continue modding Dark Omen to bring new armies and maps/campaigns.

Seeing how we generate sprites from Call of Warhammer/The Sundering 3d models, we've made nearly a whole Dark Elves army and Skaven from SOTHR and there are some Wood Elves 3d models to reuse. Must do the new Fortress map this week.

Hi Kypper  - we use GameRanger now that replaced Hamachi, much more stable and so easy to connect with other.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/multiplayer/gameranger-a-new-place-to-play-dark-omen-online-t157.0.html

* map3.jpg (129.45 KB. 640x480 - viewed 881 times.)

* WHFortress2.jpg (142.65 KB. 616x468 - viewed 665 times.)

* Fortress2.jpg (168.15 KB. 640x480 - viewed 653 times.)

Smiley

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:56:24 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 02:38:10 PM »

Latest news is that all major mod tools have now been created to allow fans to create their own campaigns, using the new Wood Elves, Dwarves and Dark Elves armies. Soon should see the release of another updated mod pack, containing new Skaven and High Elves. Thank you to everyone!

Skaven

* Skaven In Game August 2018.jpg (92.63 KB. 640x480 - viewed 709 times.)

* Skaven In Game Shields.jpg (127.2 KB. 640x478 - viewed 662 times.)

High Elves

* DO High Elves.jpg (88.4 KB. 640x480 - viewed 702 times.)

All playable in single and multiplayer on the new 24 maps

Up to 19v19 Multiplayer

* 19v19DarkElvesVDwarfs.jpg (172.99 KB. 640x480 - viewed 663 times.)

* 19v19.jpg (168.03 KB. 640x480 - viewed 677 times.)

This will keep us going whilst Dark Omen Reborn remake project, using the Unreal Engine is completed

* DORMarch12 2017c.jpg (225.13 KB. 1024x768 - viewed 702 times.)

* DOR 27 July 2018.jpg (377.45 KB. 1024x725 - viewed 736 times.)

http://forum.dark-omen.org/general-suggestions/dark-omen-reborn-t1393.0.html

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:19:00 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2020, 01:22:44 AM »

High Elves and Skaven armies due soon and then can get back into adding new scenery for new maps.

Smiley

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2020, 06:49:46 PM »

So after 10 years the site is still running and I see a lot if improvements are modded for Dark Omen, good work olly (& team), keep the spirit up for at least the next 10 years!

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM »

Great to see you back home. Amazing how much we've all helped improve the game and community over the years.

Long live Dark Omen!

Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: