March 28, 2024, 08:11:58 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Video Encoding Discussion  (Read 8465 times)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »

(Topic has been splitted from september tournament)

2Ghabry Why do you need months to upload videos? Smiley
60 megabytes video takes 10 minutes to download on youtube. Then it's a business of a couple of days.
(yes my sentence was a bit wrong, I mean that I will encode them during first half of October)

I upload 300MB in 5 minutes.
And the upload is not the problem more my lazyness to encode them and my slow CPU (dual core is crap for encodings).
I always do three encodings: At first Fraps to h264 losless (to save 70% file size) this encoding is really fast (around 8min-15min) per video.
And then one in normal resolution for my personal use (not losless anymore, saves 80% filesize again ^^) this already takes around 30min or more and then an upscaled for youtube because youtube is so dump and gives only 1280x720 good quality (this takes 45min or more).
The only problem is then that I have no losless version anymore but because I save both encodings I see no reason in wasting lots of GB with losless versions Wink.

So in worst case I need 2 hours per video :/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:59:33 PM by Ghabry » Logged

Jim
Developer

Goblin Jim, Commander of Greenskins

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

Thanks Alavet, Flak.
I understand that knock-out is not good. Yes.
But I still think that the current system is far from perfect and it's still a challenge for the community to find the most fair system.
I really don't like the idea that the map is up to the host, and that the army is changaable, and that each pair plays with 2 (at least) armies.
May be then it's better to put everything on the shoulders of her magesty the Chance.
Every player comes in with 3 unchangable armies.
Every duel consists of 3 games.
Before the game we randomly choose the race, the map, and the host (but one race cannot be chosen twice).
In such a case player plays with each his army against each army of the opponent (randomly arranged).

In this system every player would be instrested in creating the most universal army, that should be able to handle any other race.
This system will also exlude a little cheating, when the host chooses the most comfortable map for him, and the most comfortable army for this map. As well as the possibility to use several armies depending on your opponent.

And it's very easy to implement. As a programmer (flash-developer) I could create a little app that would randomly make the tournaments group-tables, with maps, hosts and races info.
Well, that's just an idea...

@Ghabry Very very strange.
I think you're making too much work there.
May be I'll write another tutorial about how to capture the screen.
I use the free CamCtudio for that. And it takes seconds to convert the result videos. And I don't have to change the resolution at all.
680x440 is uploaded on youTube and shown in very nice quality (
exampleDQ | by Aeva
).
That will also allow more people to record their games, cause CamStudio is free (although I prefer to donate to free opensource soft Smiley.

My GameRanger ID: 2332541
Online Map shuffler
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »

oh man. such a great qulity video. i always believed that there should be another easier way to convert videos. pls make manual sir!

as for your questions:

I really don't like the idea that the map is up to the host, and that the army is changaable, and that each pair plays with 2 (at least) armies.
well, usually we get our maps fully randomed. this is like the first tourney when we use host-choosen maps

May be then it's better to put everything on the shoulders of her magesty the Chance.
Every player comes in with 3 unchangable armies.

in most torunamets we used it. if u read carefully through posts above u will find why we didnt implemented it (simply forgot) and why i used diffirient armies as well.

Every duel consists of 3 games.
it takes time. especially with buggy dark omen engine some waiting for 3 games might cost you hour. at least i usually waited for finishing 2 battles about a half of hour. so 2 battles i thin kis much better

Before the game we randomly choose the race, the map, and the host (but one race cannot be chosen twice).
In such a case player plays with each his army against each army of the opponent (randomly arranged).

thats ok, and a nice way.
And it's very easy to implement. As a programmer (flash-developer) I could create a little app that would randomly make the tournaments group-tables, with maps, hosts and races info.
seriously its a great idea. we're really missing some flash develops. at previous tournaments we used IRC sripts to ramndonly generate map. adding up this tool i nflash will be better (even though script will send message to every1, amaking games more transaprent.

p.s. and i'm also from Russia ;-)

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Jim
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »

«p.s. and i'm also from Russia ;-)»

I'm from Ukraine Smiley But I share a great russian language with you.
Sipax is from Russia too Smiley

Online Map shuffler
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »

Yes the video looks great, this is strange. The last time I uploaded with 640x480 resolution the crap-youtube-scale-algorithm downscaled it to 480x360 and it looked ugly... Have to try this now.
Gimme some minutes Wink.
6 minutes encoding to smaller losless format...
[21:44] Uploading 500MB on youtube Wink
[21:51] Upload finished waiting for youtube HQ Encoding...

Ignore it, youtube is too dump to display h264 losless -.-. Will try another one now *g*

Ok encoding finished: Look at this ugly video:
Fair Omen TestDQ | by Aeva

I used h264 with nearly losless (because youtube is too dumb to losless), 640x480 (standard resolution), mp3 audio and Avi-Container.
Tell me please all things that you do in a different way.

btw Jim, could you please upload a grass level (like Road to Bogenhafen) I want to see how the quality is in your upload because snow is easier to encode ^^.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 10:11:57 PM by Ghabry » Logged

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:48:59 PM »

ok another one in a snow level:
Another testDQ | by Aeva

Looks crap too, strange o_O.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:36:33 PM »

Great Vid Jim!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »

Jim could you write a tutorial please?
I tried to record with CamStudio and I get lots of flicker on the recorded video.

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:55:02 PM »

ok I talked with Jim he told me that he uses xVid and... it works o_O.
No strange resolution problems.

(deleted all of my test videos btw)

Jim
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »

Gharby, my tutorial will be written soon. I've just made all necessary screenshots.
Just would like to host them at your side, if it's ok  Undecided

Online Map shuffler
Jim
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

BTW, are you the only one who screencasts the battles? That's bad cause we're getting like ¼ of all interesting stuff.
I hope that after all, more players (including champion Alavet) will start making videos too. I bet it's worth it Smiley

Online Map shuffler
Nitrox
Skeleton Archer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »

Me too making videos ^_^...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: