March 28, 2024, 04:17:13 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Recording Online Matches  (Read 9422 times)
JB87
Orc Boy

Professional Monster Hunter

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »

Hi guys ive recorded my first DO match and uploaded it to the tubes and I am looking for advice on how to improve the quality even further as well as provide a 'How To' for others, you can view it here:

Fanatics Not Suckingpowered by Aeva

I have used Fraps for video capture which pushes out 4GB avi files of very high quality, but to put them on youtube I need to lower it to at least 2GB in total using youtubes newer java based uploader. I have little experience with video editing but I didnt want to sacrifice on any quality. So I booted up Kubuntu and ran Kdenlive to convert it to an mp4 at 4000k bitrate with H.264 which took about 2 hours to render. Grissburg being one of the darkest maps the resulting mp4 was very dark.

So I went back and rendered the original avi again and added a Gamma Effect from 100 up to 180 to make the battle watchable.

In the end I managed to get a 430MB file from the two avi clips recorded from Fraps totaling 7GBs in size. When I went to upload 'Fanatics Not Sucking' at 430MB size it took another 13hrs to upload so I left it running over night.

I noticed Ghabry puts up a ton of DO videos so I would be interested in his feedback too. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ghabry

You guys now get a sneak peek of my gaming Tongue Do you have any advice on how to improve my video capturing/editing setup for Mulitplayer battles? thoughts?

kilowic
Mummy

Iron Fist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »

couple of day ago i tried to record too Smiley all i can say is that Fraps is cool. I tried some free programs but they are all lacking something - fraps is the best (but it uses much drive space)

My GameRanger info:
ID: 1713251
kilowic

I PLAY FAIR OMEN MOD
kilowic
Mummy

Iron Fist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:49:45 PM »

btw. shame that we didnt record our epic bogenhafen Cheesy

My GameRanger info:
ID: 1713251
kilowic

I PLAY FAIR OMEN MOD
JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »

Well in that case kilo I hope this thread helps you out in seeing the whole process. Still though I think I can improve my 20hr turn over time now that everything is up and running....

I like fraps alot, its basically brilliant. I however made the mistake of unticking 'Record Win7 sound' to get ride of the GR sounds popping into the videos, but then it stopped recording the DO music and sound.. so I have about four matches recorded that I cant use  :Smiley I did dabble in some freeware stuff but nothing even worth mentioning or capable of getting the job done.

I am a big fan of well supported Open Source Software and running kdenlive under kde once the OS is configured has been very useful to me! youtube finally finished rendering my video on their end to 720p and I am very pleased the quality. the side bars have gone a curious grey since I bumped the Gamma levels.

oh man that bogenhafen match, my necromancer going down to pistoliers and surrounded by skeleton warriors on all sides...... epic. I think that match encouraged me to start recording and putting the most entertaining ones up. I also think that putting videos up of the highest quality we can achieve will entice more people into playing and discovering DO Online. I mean if dark-omen.org doesnt promote DO Online and Campaigns who else will. I think EA is too busy making money to worry about advertising the 90s Grin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:09:16 PM by JB87 » Logged

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

I liked your PRO trick about Defiance + Goblins vs Elves. There are many cool videos at Tournament section Smiley
I read Ghabry's Tutorial: http://blog.dark-omen.org/2009/08/17/admin/dark-omen/how-i-create-my-dark-omen-vids/

For enjoyable battles I recommend you to not abuse lame tactics, like for example:

1) "Hit & Run": Attacking and going back/turn around obstacles all time with fast ranged Regiments or Wizards (Wings spell included) or Items like Banner of Wrath.
2) "Camp & Fire": Shooting with artillery from a corner all time and never move your army.

A player is lame when abuses these tactics, playing them often to win a battle.
Abusing is what many are against, doesn’t mean you can’t do them for a while (beginning).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:00:40 AM by Jeronimo » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »

Excellent work and i also like kdenlive, although I always follow Ghabry's how to guide ->

http://blog.dark-omen.org/2009/08/17/admin/dark-omen/how-i-create-my-dark-omen-vids/

I look forward to seeing some more great Battle vids soon!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:50 PM »

thanks Jeronimo alot of people overlook the dwarves/elves/goblins fear/hatred rules over the undead. As you can see my opponent is a hit and run expert with a teleporting BoW to the point I dont bother with artillery. I dont know why teleport wasnt removed from FO. I also find that undead vs undead matches can be pretty lifeless regardless.

as recommended twice I have swapped over to avidemux. here is how it looks.

Epic Goblins pt1 of 2powered by Aeva

I have no idea why the video is having issues within the first 10 secs. is this an avidemux thing or a problem with youtubes encoding? youtube recommends the H.264 encoding so might try that instead over xvid.... but besides that im happy with the output. using the same avi file under kdenlive produces a 532MB mp4 file while avidemux pushes out a 124MB mp4. this has helped alot with uploading!

For darker videos I still have to improve the darkness issues. I do this by going to Video -> Filters -> Colors -> Contrast

I find these settings about right

Contrast: 12
Brightness: 35

The append file option is great for combining clips, but how do I edit clips sizes in the timeline?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:21:56 PM by JB87 » Logged

Zoko
Night Goblin Archer

wyciwyg://119/http://shade-of-nekura.deviantart.co

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:54 PM »

Im about to play a match with JB and imma see if he can record it. Im not the best player but i've played some interesting matches before. @JB, and remember our Bogenhafen? When your black grail was about to dominate me and then i charged them with my cannon, and they sat there while my cannon crawled toward them menacingly, making them a perfect target for archer fire.  Grin

@Jeronimo yes, definitely. Especially with wings of fire, because then if you get caught in a bad position your only choices are losing your wizard or whatever regement the opponent is going for, which basically just wins the game for him.

Post sniped by JB  Tongue

EDIT: oh hey, recognize that army build.
JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 10:23:24 PM »

@JB, and remember our Bogenhafen? When your black grail was about to dominate me and then i charged them with my cannon, and they sat there while my cannon crawled toward them menacingly, making them a perfect target for archer fire.  Grin

*facepalm* lol how could I forget Cheesy

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:15:18 AM »

@Jeronimo yes, definitely. Especially with wings of fire, because then if you get caught in a bad position your only choices are losing your wizard or whatever regement the opponent is going for, which basically just wins the game for him.

Endless teleportation has been always an issue in this game... there are old posts about this "tendency".

How do I personally deal with this when I have "Wings"?

Its a powerful spell, I use it in early/middle part of battle.
I stop teleporting when reaching situations relationed with late-part of battle. In this point I use my remaining points only for attack spells, and also stay close to my remaining regiments (to avoid "running away" -> hit & run).
If you are losing the battle, just accept that your opponent played tactically better. Dont make yourself hate.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:26:45 AM by Jeronimo » Logged
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 10:52:29 PM »

Nice to see that somebody is recording videos again.

I use xvid because with h264 the video quality looks very bad, this must be a problem with the encoder of youtube. Maybe they fixed it in the meanwhile. The darkness is also a problem on youtube-side. With VLC the brightness is much better here. Have no idea why the first 10 seconds are broken. But my last videoupload is 3 months ago, could be a problem on youtube-side.

For encoding you can follow my guide, which was already linked twice. Smiley

Cutting is quite simple: You scroll to the start frame you want to cut, then click the "A",then select the end frame and click "B". Now press DEL on your keyboard to remove the part.

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:57:53 AM »

Hey Joe, I think you could have easily won the battle with Goblins vs Undead.
You should have used more "Fists of Gork" against the Wights. Smiley

"Da Krunch" has poor acuracy... I only use it vs steady regiments, and with large numbers -> Archers/Infantry.
"Fists of Gork" deals far greater damage in close combat. Use it vs small Strong regiments and Cavalry.
JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:42 PM »

thanks Jeronimo I will have to try Fists of Gork next time, although because the wight blade causes multiple wounds it may have ended much the same. as for Wings, I rarely buy Wand of Jet or build an army around the Wizard in the first place reducing his impact on the field.

thanks Ghabry I can now cut the fat Cheesy I have just put up a Promo Vid for DOE. ive tried using H.264 instead of Xvid as youtube recommends H.264 as a preferred format but the same opening 10 sec problem presists... could you try installing the latest version of Avidemux and try encoding/private upload to youtube to see if your getting the same problem? there might be something im overlooking.. As it stands I cant use Avidemux if it has this problem, as any of my kdenlive encoded vids go up just fine.

Heres the Promo vid encoded with H.264 in all its broken glory.

Dark Omen Expanded 2 Showcasepowered by Aeva

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »

Very Cool, have u tried the Texture Switcher yet which may help if you are running the game in CPU mode?

http://forum.dark-omen.org/maps/texture-switcher-t114.0.html

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:16:19 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: