April 16, 2024, 02:19:03 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Multiplayer Campaign?  (Read 5654 times)
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:10:36 PM »

How about making a multiplayer campaign?

With all the new maps this could be quite doable!

Here is how it would work:

One player starts with a small army (Aka Bernhardt)
He then fight some armies of escalating power (Played by another player), and saves his army after every match!

If for example Flak made a list of the different battles, like exactly what would be in every next fight and so on, you could make it into a competition. First one to finish the campaign.

Hope I make some sense, pretty tired Tongue

On vacation
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »

nice idea about allowing ppl to use gold in future battles...

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »

I have been thinking of it Wink

My next plan was an undead campaign, and maybe that would work well for multilayer as test seem to make it too easy against the AI of the campaign.

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »

Excellent idea Grend,

A Dark Omen Online Campaign, has always been a shared dream for many years,

Great to see it becoming a reality. If we are going to play the Enemies, then consider

using the Dread King and others etc, as it requires no modding for the Opponent.

Also please check out, Crusoe's thoughts of using experienced Troops.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/multiplayer/5k15-revision-7k21-9k27-plus-elite-mode-fundaments-t302.0.html

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »

It would be possible to make an online campaign. Like with a map, and then you earn gold for regions controlled etc. Then you build armies and attack other players, say once a week. Experienced troops are kept, and losing armies, can reinforce themselves, or be scrapped.

Example of a campaign ruleset for Warhammer Fantasy Battles

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4753/campaign.htm

On vacation
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »

I was thinking of making a map of europe lol

i follow your idea, its hard tho as there is no real way to control the amount of money you get, its even hard to only add 1000 gc to an old army

do you know the board game "Diplomacy", where certain areas can support an army, there is no gold involved, so the only way to get money is to fight

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »

What i mean is having the map divided up into territories, some are just buffer areas, some contain an army-support, some make unique units available, like Ragnars wolves.

Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »

Yeah I see where you're going. Remove the money element and only use special rules sort of. That could work.

Like you earn special regiments at special places and so on, like in the original campaign. Makes it way more interesting, because you have a way more controlled envirionment making it easier to balance.

On vacation
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »

exactly mate that was what im thinking

with turn being at a pace that most can keep up with, maybe a few a week. Being that it can be hard to be online same time as the people you have to fight.

The terrain will be simulated by the different maps,

taking a "army-support" territory will be harder such as using Helmgart Keep or Blighted Towers.

Mountain pass's will be road to kislev

and so and so forth. With the same map belonging to a territory so that both defensive and offensive tactics can be perfected

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »

Im as we speak drawing up a map idea

Im thinking that the factions idea is well suited more than just races, that would also make the unique units from singleplayer more desired.

As armies can only earn by fighting and successful armies can potentially win many battles and become very strong in both units and XP, using factions will prevent from getting too many too strong units in the army as every faction is limited to their access to the best units.

Items is another issue, i think that there is to be a ruleset, to specify which items can be acquired by new armies and also to limit the use of items in successful armies, having several banners of wraith and defiance in an army will simply make it too over powered, with its already better troops.

Every player will have to choose a faction or race, they are confined to that but can get unique units if they posses the territory that supports that unit. My initial plan is to give each player 3-5 armies, possibly starting with less armies so that building up strength and good borders and alliances is more important.

Because of the different gameplay used in such a game a possible re-adjustment of the factions might be needed as goblins might not be a very fair faction to be stuck with or to compensate in some other way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:14:29 PM by Flak » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: