Password

Poll
Question: The most enjoyable map at DO multiplayer
Tutorial - 3 (33.3%)
The Road To Bogenhafen - 1 (11.1%)
The Empire - 1 (11.1%)
The Road to Moussilon - 0 (0%)
Border Bounties - 1 (11.1%)
Goblin Camp (named Orc Camp at map list) - 1 (11.1%)
Vingtiennes - 0 (0%)
Pyramids - 1 (11.1%)
Mine - 0 (0%)
Lorren Lake - the clearing - 1 (11.1%)
Axebite pass - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Maps: vote for the best  (Read 29780 times)
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »

well there is lots of maps and im lazy to put it all there
full list & landscape at this thread: http://forum.dark-omen.org/maps/all-maps-t155.0.html

Vote for the best maps!
And comment for the most balanced.

Tutorial
The Road To Bogenhafen
The Empire
The Road to Moussilon
Border Bounties
Goblin Camp (named Orc Camp at map list)
Vingtiennes
Pyramids
Mine
Lorren Lake - the clearing (didnt noticed which one is that at map list)
Axebite pass
Lost Templre

as some of you already know i LOVE Empire map, even though i lose there quite a lot. this map suits for small battles like 3-5k but for bigger ones its suffer, due of a tight places. Still, this is so bright map and so close distances (so not too much mortair abuse).

most balanced map: i guess its a Traiding post. It have reasonable distance and wide open parts too. Vingtiennes kinda seems like that, but side houses can cover your mortairs for too long.

i HATE Border Bounties. Not only this map has lots of glitches like at a tight right spot, "ambush" place regiments tends to bug while batteled. it also provides imbalance for the defending army. i think this map should be exluded.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:34:51 AM by alavet » Logged

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »

LOL, I read your post after answering the poll Cheesy Cheesy. I really like border counties because you have more tactical possibility's to use. I know there are some flaws in the map and that sucks but I still think it has been the most enjoyable for me.

"Did you know that there are those days that  even my lucky underpants with spacerockets won't help." "Then u did everything that was in your power ."
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:08:50 PM »

I vote for Pyramids (Sideways)

So free to run, persue, using infantry as walls, while shooters do their job and send cavalry to flanks.

Its the most balanced, if you understand the symetry of clean battlefield, not difficult to get mortairs/lobbers, and perfect to maximize cannon/ballista effectiveness.

And yes... its possible to camp using 2 pyramids as left/right walls, while you defend front and prepar back part for a counter attack. You can also appreciate that no one gets elevation advantage.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »

I vote Tutorial Map, for now and I remember Brapus saying how he would like to fight his bro on my empty version of the map, much like how Jeronimo describes his favourite Pyramids as a fair and equal map.

However, hopefully soon we will have more Mod Battlegrounds to fight on!

http://forum.dark-omen.org/3d-scenery-models/trading-post-misson-1-expanded-t796.0.html

http://forum.dark-omen.org/3d-scenery-models/map-template-mod-t858.0.html

Smiley

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:41:12 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:30:01 AM »

obviously i have a typo at my original post, where is a claim "traiding psot" as a msot balanced map :-)

meant Tutorial

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »

i like tutorial best

it can be a little big for 3k battles but it has many obstacles to the sides and provide good chances to out flank an enemy
it is also big enough to avoid artillery attacks on the starting positions

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »

A clean landscape puts both players at a situation of face to face, no secrets, no ugly pathfinding (trying to make a regiment turn round a corner of a house... no thanks! Smiley)
A clean landscape with deployment zones at opposite sides of the map is what would recreate a Chess board.

Tutorial is very suitable for Camp & Fire tactic (which I dislike).

The problem is simple to solve: there should be "side to side" instead of "corner to corner" deployment zones. With that change I would probb consider it the best map. Admit that has nice simple layout.

The circles with numbers are a funny feature, I would put a gold chest in every number (for endurance duels).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:53:57 PM by Jeronimo » Logged
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »

Plain maps kills creativity and sudden factor. ALso it disband lots of defender possibilities which nullifies archers in change ofinfantry/cavalry.

even though this is kinda intresting challenge "for the best  commander", cause there is no advantages or disadvantages due of map, i find plain maps like Pyramids extremely boring

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »

yeah empty maps would be no fun, you may as well just use the pyramid map and charge head and see who has more luck

to use the terrain to your advantage is am important skill in playn dark omen

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »

We could do with 3d photos of all the maps.  Olly you can use blender fancy the job? Smiley

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »

TBH an empty map sounds boring.  Especially since deployment would never end. Just rearranging regiments to your liking over and over and over and over

On vacation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: