April 24, 2024, 02:21:27 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows 8.1 3d mode: black boxes?  (Read 7130 times)
maartuh
Troll

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for your great forum, i really liked the game when it came out and since then i followed you with getting it to run on modern hardware, used software mode and virtual pc etc and it did the trick Smiley

But now i read that 3d mode could be an option so i went to try it out!
Ig installed my copy,
downloaded that goody bag with mods and modified exe's.
ran that no-cd patch,
set the 16bit color and 640x480 compatibility options

and the game starts, 3d is selected etc, movies start, and when i get in game i see the battlefield
Then the view starts to move to my army and while it does that i get black tiles filling the screen Sad they move and dissappear/reappear when i zoom and pan my view.

Any idea what might be causing this? Did i do somethin wrong?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »

Hi and welcome. You can try Alt Tabbing in and out of the game but what graphics card do u have installed, since Intel ones struggle to do Full 3d mode compared with NVidia. 

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
maartuh
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »

I have a Nvidea Geforce 9600GT, so luckily no intel graphics card.

Could it be that that nocd-patch ruined some things? what exactly does it modify in the exe?

Is there any nvidea control panel setting that might be causing this?

thanks for any replies Smiley
(in the meanwhile i will try another uninstall/reinstall)

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »

The fix was originally to allow just CPU mode to work in Windows 8 but I found that it also worked for 3D mode on my new pc that runs an NVidia Titan GTX. So its all early stages of testing, it wont work on my old GT 640 even for Win 7 or 8 but does on my bro's 7800 GTX.

I doubt the no CD fix effects things and reinstalling probably wont work either but you could try and start again by uninstalling game, searching and deleting the Dark Omen folder in the Registry (Start -> Run-> Regedit -> HKEYLocalMachine->Software->Wow6432Node->Electronic Arts->Dark Omen. Delete Dark Omen folder in Program files and then Reboot and Reinstall with Full installation option. Download the goody bag again, just incase and paste into newly installed Dark Omen folder. Apply the 16bit color and 640x480 compatibility options to the new EngRel.exe and try but at least it should work in CPU if 3d mode fails.  

So did the Alt Tab no work?

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
maartuh
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »

well I tried alt tab, didn't work. then I wanted to check NVidia settings  and I saw I couldn't start the NVidia control panel anymore.
ended up reinstalling the driver and.... the black boxes are gone!
I downloaded the GeForce experience thingie, and now I got an icon in my taskbar that wasn't there before Smiley

I'm happy and played some missions alrdy!

Thanks for all the input!
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »

Don't know where the sourcecode of the patcher is but if I remember correct it only patched one jump in the code to make the CD check pass.

I had these black boxes on my old nvidia system, too. Must be a driver issue.

maartuh
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »

yes i think i had the default windows driver since i upgraded 8.0 to win8.1 (did not have the green icon is the taskbar anymore.
Since i installed the nvidia experience driver its working perfectly
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: