April 19, 2024, 02:35:20 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows 8 Pro x64 Won't even install  (Read 8821 times)
LazyGit
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »

Hi,

I've tried to install this game from a mounted iso in daemon tools and it won't even run the installer. I changed the properties for the setup program so that it ran as administrator and under all compatibility settings but no joy. It thought about running for a few seconds then nothing. I copied all the disc files to a folder and tried to launch from there and still no joy.

I also tried running Virtualbox with both an XP and Win98 install and couldn't get it to work there either. It would install under XP but would have an EngRel crash immediately.

I tried to close everything running in the background when installing in Windows8 but it made no difference.

Has anyone else had the same problem and been able to overcome it?

Thanks
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »

Welcome, there are other posts here with same problem and its always a bad iso, especially if it wont even install. We successfully run Dark Omen on Win 7 and Win 8 all 64bits with no problems.

Smiley

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:50:41 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
LazyGit
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:39:10 PM »

Ah,  I was wondering if that might be the case. If only I had my original disc. I didn't notice anyone else with the same problem say how they got it working. Should have looked harder. I'll see if I can find a better copy.

Thanks
LazyGit
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:29 PM »

Apologies for the double post, couldn't find an edit button.

All I could find was an exe that installed Dark Omen so I've given it a shot. It would launch the game at least and with the compatibility changes it was working fine in software mode. I have also downloaded the DarkOmenMods pack. I now have new problems.

Software mode: In the tutorial it won't recognise that I'm panning with the mouse and will go no further with the tutorial as a result. This is in both EngRel and EngRelNo3D. (I didn't get this far on the original version of EngRel before installing the modpack so don't know if this problem is isolated to the

3D mode: It is asking for the CD when I go to launch the Tutorial or Campaign. I have an iso in a virtual drive and I'm able to select the drive letter for it but it won't recognise it and so will not continue. I have prevented the game from getting through the firewall.

Has anyone run into these problems?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »

Try Alt Tabbing back to desktop to see if it brings back your mouse for panning camera. Just to confirm -> Windows 8 Dark Omen will only run in software CPU mode, using either a Hex Edited EngRel.exe to enable Windowed Mode, or normal EngRel.exe but using ddraw.dll instead. Are you are sure you have installed the Mod Selector correctly as it works for me in Win 8 Pro 64bit using hex edited EngRel.exe and/or ddraw.dll. I right click and go to the Compatibility Tab and choose to select Change settings for all users and Run in XP sp3 compatibility mode and tick 640x480 screen resolution and tick Disable display scaling on high DPI settings and Run this program as Administrator.

I've checked and I currently use ddraw.dll instead of a Hex Edited EngRel.exe, so try my own Win 8 files to replace the Mods and PRG and Save Game folders, just rename your original ones

http://www.mediafire.com/?1ur0m1oikki78ox

if still no joy, then at least you can manually install each mod by making a copies of your Dark Omen Folder and then start pasting in files for a single mod, like the old days before the fantastic Mod Selector. Please let us know how you get on.

Smiley

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:03:44 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »

Olly's troubleshooting never fails Grin

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
LazyGit
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

When I say that it doesn't recognise the mouse, what I mean is that I can actually pan around the battlefield but the tutorial doesn't seem to recognise it and will go no further. I tried clicking mouse buttons and clicking 'deploy troops' but that just cancelled the tutorial. Maybe I'm just being dim and I'm supposed to click something to make it progress. I kind of need to do the tutorial because I don't remember how to play it.

Nevertheless I did try alttabbing but it didn't make any difference.

I think I must be confused about 3D mode. I thought that it would work, you just needed to use EngRel3D. I thought it was already hexedited. I installed your files and tried your EngRelModdedHexfor3d.exe and although it appeared to run with no problems, i.e. no flickering, intro worked fine, I was presented with the same CD check as before. I suspect the CD check is a problem at my end but am still confused as to why it occurs on the 3D version but not the software version.

I've not even got as far as looking at mods. I'm just trying to get the base game to work at the moment. Or rather you're trying and trying to follow the steps. Thanks very much for your help. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate them.

I've tried playing the campaign and that seems to be working fine but I got trounced in my first battle. I definitely need the tutorial. Also my wizard was labelled 'UNUSED - Peasant'. Is that right?

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »

Have u tried using my download EngRel.exe as its using the ddraw.dll in the same folder and doesn't ask for the cd, instead of the EngRelModdedHexfor3d.exe (you should rename ddraw.dll to ddraw1.dll to disable it when using a hex edited EngRel.exe as they are two separate ways of running the game on Win8 in CPU mode but in Win7 allows full 3d.

If campaign is working fine (then game is fixed in CPU mode for Win8 etc.). Go into Mod Menu and choose Original, since your wizard sounds like a mod version 'UNUSED - Peasant'. As for Tutorial I did test and have same problem trying to hold down the right mouse button and push up, down, left and right a few times and then release the button, during the first task you are being asked to do. So will investigate fix -> The fix was to disable ddraw.dll by renaming it, (if you are using a non hex edited EngRel.exe) and switch to using a hex edited one instead like EngRelModdedHexfor3d.exe that will also have to be hex edited to not ask for the CD. So will create one.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:24:30 PM by olly » Logged

LazyGit
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »

I'm using your EngRel at the moment and it's working well. I chose 'Original' from the mod screen and things are a lot more familiar now and easier to boot. I don't think I need the tutorial anymore.

Renaming ddraw.dll didn't fix the tutorial problem for me, at least when I ran your EngRel3D.

Thanks again for the help, I'm loving the game again already.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »

Cool, glad to hear you are enjoying it now. I have tried both normal EngRel.exe with ddraw.dll and separately used a Hex Edited EngRel.exe but both struggle with the Tutorial 1st Task, when holding down the right mouse button and moving camera around. However, it does eventually recognise it working and moves onto rotating camera with keyboard arrow keys but its random and I had to keep trying about 10-20times until it worked.

lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »

train, and later , join tournaments!! or play via game ranger Cheesy

you will have to install the maps mod and the "multplayer mod" fair omen or wichever you guys are using now to play.

ito maquiesves
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: