March 29, 2024, 07:48:57 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10 - Flickering screen  (Read 11218 times)
Ayakuri
Troll

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »

I seem to have a strange problem when running this game on Win10:

What did I do:
* Maximum install
* Copy the d3drm.dll to PR_ENG
* Run the game in CPU mode with plain colours

I have the following problem: the game seems to flicker between the normal view on full screen and a CGA-view (you know the good old pink-green-white) on the left half of my screen Cheesy
Alt-tabbing did not work.

exeetor
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »

how did you get the setup to run? Mine just wont start at all Sad
Ayakuri
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »

Simply start it as administrator and go for dinner (no kidding)...

It didn't start, I looked for solutions - found none -, went for dinner and when I came back the installer had started...
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »

Hi Ayakuri,

To stop the flicker try setting it to run in compatibility mode 16bit colour and it's good to know that the installer does eventually work. 

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:55:13 AM »

> game flicker

Enable windowed mode by
hex-editing the english version of EngRel.Exe, write 0x00 at file offset: 0x000BD0A8
then on EngRel.Exe compatibility properties tab, set 16bit color and 640x480 resolution
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »

Totally agree with Aqrit and I'm releasing an Ultimate mod pack this weekend that contains the modified EngRel.exe

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 12:14:37 PM »

This issue is actually since Windows 7.
The installer progress bar hangs at 99% for ages. Maybe in Win10 this first progress bar is invisible.

Aquatica
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 10:24:30 AM »

Howzit All.

I have a similar problem in Windows 10.

I installed the game and from there i picked up the D3DRM.dll error, so i downloaded the file and carried on. Then came the Out-Of-Date graphics drivers issue and then i installed the Intro-Crash-Fix and carried on. Now the game seems to flicker between the normal view on full screen and pink-green-white on the left half of my screen. So I clicked the 16-bit color with Admin permission along with 640x480 screen resolution. And the problem is still existent.

Any advice?

And a simple question, ill probably get scolded for this but, would it be possible for someone with an original CD of the game to extract the files there-on and allow people to download it. I mean the game is considered abadonware, so no trouble would follow. Any thoughts? And before someone asks, i had the original CD (I got it as a birthday gift many years back) but recently it got destroyed in my CD-Rom. Never thought id see a shattered disc, anyway, and seeing as i live in South Africa and ALLOT of people on E-bay wont post to South Africa due to the high postal theft, i have very little option but to ask the above mentioned question.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:32:24 PM »

Hi and Welcome,

no one should post any links to downloads as 2mins of googling can probably find it. However, you don't mention installing our mod pack that contains a modified EngRel.exe for 16bit colour to work properly and therefore no screen flickering.

So I would advise following the 4 steps of the Help guide ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

Smiley

Aquatica
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 04:37:25 AM »

Hi olly.

Shot for the help. Can i still play the original campaign if i install the Ultimate Dark Omen as i want to play through the original campaign before starting the new campaign vs the Deamon Prince?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »

Yes the Mod Selector allows you to select Original Game, to play against the Dread King and I think Dark Omen Expanded Mod has the Demon Prince.

Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: