March 28, 2024, 05:45:38 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10 error "Dark Omen has failed due to an incompatible DirectX version"  (Read 4481 times)
killemore
Troll

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »

Let me start with I feel like an idiot. I found an english copy of DO on an abandonware site that linked to here for install instructions. I've followed the steps in the ultimate guide, and I've watched the youtube video. I followed the video step by step and paused often to make sure I was doing it right. After step 4 the game won't open. It starts to, I get the black screen right before the logo video starts, then I get the error Dark Omen has failed due to an incompatible DirectX version or out of date display drivers. I've checked the compatibility options for the EngRel.exe folder. I've used the regedit files for win 10 64 bit that came with the patch file you linked in the install guide. I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 01:03:52 PM »

Hi and welcome. Unfortunately that abandonware version causes loads of issues. Please check your messages to retry.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
killemore
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »

I sent you a DM before I saw the post here. I uninstalled, restarted my pc and tried to reinstall with the files you suggested. I made sure to follow the guide again, but I'm still getting that same error. Any other ideas?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 12:00:56 AM »

There's probably residual bits left over in the registry from that initial install. So far easier for me to remote in and check things via TeamViewer like I do for many others. Or AntiVirus/Defender is preventing something from running. Speaking of which have you tried with Dege's Voodoo yet?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:15:38 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikymaxx
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I try 2 times, step by step, same result. Can you help me ?
Now that i know that some of you can play that game again, i want so much to have the same chance !
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 12:51:23 AM »

Hi and welcome, have also messaged you. I would advise searching the Registry for Dark Omen and deleting its entries, then reinstall after checking your messages.

DREAD
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 01:58:58 PM »

Hello, where is the vanilla install guide for new DO installers? I am windows 11 BTW.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 09:44:22 PM »

There is no vanilla install guide, as it requires the mod pack which contains the necessary changes to run on Windows 10/11

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/read-me-ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

DREAD
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 10:17:53 PM »

Gotcha.
rst01
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 02:09:15 AM »

Greetings! I'm speaking from America, remembering this fabulous game that I played on win98 and winXP but now I'm trying to get it to work on win10 without any success because finding the UK CD is quite difficult and I was wondering if there is any other way to make it work correctly.
Thanks for any answer. Smiley
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 03:11:43 PM »

Hi and welcome,

Unfortunately it requires the UK CD version

rst01
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 12:48:09 AM »

I already figured it out, I'll have to look it up on ebay Grin. Anyway congratulations for this site because it is a great community of this great game. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: