March 29, 2024, 11:44:52 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit problem!  (Read 32577 times)
ElDiablo
Troll

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »

Hey there Smiley

Yesterday I have seen on my extern harddisk some savegames from Dark Omen.
I thought yay cool let´s play some Dark Omen!
So I installed the game on my new Laptop.
Win 7 64 bit ultimate.
Then I started the game and the "can´t  find this d3drm.dll" bugs arrived. Ok start google and Have found this nice pages with alle the fixes for vista and xp.
Downloaded this ddl and the game starts but then u know wahts coming...
yes right this fuckin intro crash. Visit this page again.

Quote from:  Download  The Intro Crash Fix for both Vista and XP and run it.
3) Download  The Intro Crash Fix for both Vista and XP and run it.
    http://en.dark-omen.org/downloads/view-details/5.-miscellaneous/intro-crash-fix.html

However, for Vista 64,  the regedit settings need to be in
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ElectronicArts\DarkOmen\1.0\Options\Options]
    and not in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen\1.0\Options\Options
    "Selected"="1"
    "SoftwareSelected"="228"
    where  the Fix tries to place them. Manually create New String Data "Selected"="1" and"SoftwareSelected"="228"
    if they are missing from your Options Folder (perhaps due to Admin Permission and may be in Virtual Store).
HKEY_USERS\<User SID>_Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA\Dark Omen
HKEY_USERS\<UserSID>_Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\EA\Dark Omen

yay and now I dont know what to do because i have 64 bit system so can anyone say me what to do?
I know that i must go in the "regedit" but then? can anyone maybe take some screenshots and show me how it must look.

also downlaoded this  both fixes dont work either.

ah and sry for my bad english i m from germany but i try my best that u can understand me ^^

hope u can help me Smiley

EDIT:
Also tried the windows 7 compatibility mode with win 85/ win 89/ME win and xp service pack 3. do not work ^^
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »

It's strange that everybody has problems with running Dark Omen under Win7/Vista. I installed it under Win7, got the d3drm.dll, started DO and it worked.

If you don't run Dark Omen with Administrator rights (that means no "Benutzerkontensteuerung"-Window appears (UAC Warning) it will use the VirtualStore Registry Path because Dark Omen writes in a protected Registry part.
So you have to navigate to the following path (the SID is different for you(!)): look at the statusbar

* regvirtualstore.png (21.99 KB. 1025x400 - viewed 3532 times.)

Selected must be 1 and Software Selected must be 228

If you run Dark Omen with Admin Rights (Clicked "Yes" during the Benutzerkonstensteuerung-Window (UAC)) you have to use the following registry path:

* regnovirtualstore.png (19.38 KB. 1025x400 - viewed 3021 times.)

Note: This values are only available if you execute Dark Omen at least one time with Admin rights.

If you installed the Vista Fix it should always prompt you for admin rights on startup.

ElDiablo
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »

thank u very much Smiley

it works...

but i was my bad ..
 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ElectronicArts\DarkOmen\1.0\Options\Options]

forget the second "options"

stupid... -.-

next problem I have the alt+tab bug
but thats not very bad  essentialy I can play Smiley

thx again
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:34:39 PM »

Hi, have u tried this, although Win7 64bit will probably be different again

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvista-game-fixes-t111.0.html

"For Alt Tab in Vista/Windows 7, try this Fix.

It will also force Admin Mode (UAC Warning) if you're trying to run EngRel.exe or tshoot.exe to prevent problems with the UAC (and the IntroCrashFix). If you disabled UAC this change will have no effect"

http://en.dark-omen.org/downloads/view-details/5.-miscellaneous/vista-/-windows-7-crash-fix.html 

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
ElDiablo
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:54:10 PM »

yes tried it.
Don´t work. but hey can play and that is important Wink

thx u =)

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »

Win 7 Dark Omen Reg Options Settings

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rl3ea3

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen\1.0\Options\Options]
"Selected"="1"
"HardwareSelected"="380"
"SoftwareSelected"="356"
"MMXSelected"="160"
"ToolTips"="1"
"MusicVolume"="474"
"SFXVolume"="783"
"SoftwareSoundQuality"="2"
"SoftwareParticleQuality"="2"
"MMXSoundQuality"="2"
"MMXParticaleQuality"="1"
"HardwareSoundQuality"="2"
"HardwareParticleQuality"="2"
"InformationNum"="0"

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Matti
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »

Win 7 Dark Omen Reg Options Settings

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen\1.0\Options\Options]
"Selected"="1"
"HardwareSelected"="380"
"SoftwareSelected"="356"
"MMXSelected"="160"
"ToolTips"="1"
"MusicVolume"="474"
"SFXVolume"="783"
"MMXSoundQuality"="2"
"InformationNum"="0"

Smiley

Does not work for me: menu music plays but screen gets stuck
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Finnish language
Processor: AMD Turion II
Monitor: LCD 1920x1080

To top that off, game gets similarly stuck with my dektop PC with WinXP on it. I had no such problems with desktop when it still had 19" CRT (desktop resolution: 1600x1200) connected. Is monitor problem here?

[edit]
I run game from image file run with DAEMON Tools Lite. Image file is from original game CD which I own.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »

It sounds more like Alt Tab problem/solution, sorry if u already tried this.

Smiley

Matti
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »

It sounds more like Alt Tab problem/solution, sorry if u already tried this.
Now I have. Screen is and stays blank through intro videos and after those. Menu music plays. Alt-tabbing brings other windows and programs on screen at resolution of the game menu.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:43:05 PM »

Ok thnx for info, maybe the patch didn't apply properly (usually works fine) if so please manually amend your Registry

"Selected"="1"
"HardwareSelected"="380"
"SoftwareSelected"="356"
"MMXSelected"="160"
"ToolTips"="1"
"MusicVolume"="474"
"SFXVolume"="783"
"MMXSoundQuality"="2"
"InformationNum"="0"

and let us know how you get on and are you installing as Adminstrator (right click on setup and select Run as Administrator) that Ghabry mentions earlier in this post.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/win-7-ultimate-64-bit-problem-t640.0.html;msg6031#msg6031

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:49:57 PM by olly » Logged

Matti
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:39:28 PM »

and let us know how you get on and are you installing as Adminstrator (right click on setup and select Run as Administrator) that Ghabry mentions earlier in this post.
Uninstalled game and installed again as instructed. Installed the updates and checked the registry. Still no go Sad

Is this typo?
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »

I attached another registry file. Please import it and check if this fixes your problems (and start Dark Omen directly, without "Run as Admin" option).

Some explanation:
The registry file will write to the Virtual Store path of the registry. Dark Omen uses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to store data but this location is only writable for Administrators. This was not a problem up to XP but then Microsoft added the User Account Control to Vista. In order to not break all old programs Microsoft added a feature called Virtual Store. So all writes get redirected to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore. If the program is now reading the normal path, Windows will check first if their are VirtualStore keys and will return their values instead (that means that all changes to the Dark Omen registry data under HKLM are ignored, if the game was started once without admin rights because then VirtualStore keys will exist (and this prevents our crashfix reg-files from working)).

* dovirtualstore.reg (0.99 KB - downloaded 679 times.)

Matti
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »

No change Sad
But thanks for trying. I'll play game with my desktop computer with XP on it. Problem is I need plug peripheral devices (like speakers and mouse) back and forth between desktop and laptop.

[edit]
It seems turning graphics to CPU will cause same problems with my XP desktop as has been described with Win7 laptop. I had to uninstall and reinstall game to get it back to working 3d. Also I had to stow my laserprinter to closet in order to make room for 19" CRT on the table becouse game graphics flicker on LCD monitor.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:51:35 PM by Matti » Logged
abcdeh
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »

So I have done everything in this thread and now not only does DO not get past the intro, but I don't have sound in DO or anything else??? Please help and explain like I'm 5.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:08 PM »

1) Right Click Setup.exe and Run As Administrator

2) Select Maximum Installation

3) Say Yes to Direct X 5 install

4) Browse to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\PRG_ENG folder and Right Click on EngRel.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility Mode and select Change for All Users and Select to Run in Windows XP Sp3 mode and also to run as Administrator and Apply

5) After Game has installed - DO NOT start game until you have downloaded and copied d3drm.dll into Dark Omen\PRG_ENG folder and downloaded and installed the Intro Reg Crash fix from

http://en.dark-omen.org/dark-omen-and-windows-vista.html

6) Double Click on EngRel.exe to start the game and Press Esc to Skip the Intro and go straight to Options and ensure CPU mode is selected and No to Coloured Cursors and then Test in Game.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: