April 20, 2024, 08:38:04 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sound problem  (Read 5143 times)
Shauky
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »

Hi all,

First, I'm new to the forum (but not new to Dark Omen), and I'm happy to see such an old game still has so much fans Smiley.

But let me get to the point.

I installed the game, and ran the XP fix, and the game works perfectly, except for the sound. The music and voices are all right, but the sound effects (charging horses, firing cannon, whistling arrows) are a bit screwed up. When there are several sounds simultaneously, they are not only playing the sounds, but also squeaking and creaking, which is very annoying. Do any of you have (had) this problem, and if so, do you know how to fix it?

Kind regards,

-Shauky
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »

Flak's Goblin Campaign made my Bro come out of Retirement to play Dark Omen again

and his XP Pc (Audigy Xi-Fi)  had a similar sound issue where the voices were sped up and assumed

we had Modded Berhardt's Voice to sound more like a Goblin Shamen!

It sounded quite good, until I pointed out we hadnt modded the Voices,

so we Reinstalled the game again over the Original and everything was fine.

I would recommend the same (although your Voices are fine but the Sound Effects aren't)

We were also considering Disabling his Xi-Fi and using the Onboard Sound Card.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »

We don't know many people who have this problem. You could try to update your soundcard driver.
Try also reducing the Sound-Accleration (I have no English Windows so the text is guessed):
Control Panel -> Sound and Audiodevices -> Advanced -> System performance
Move the Sound-Acceleration Slider to the Left (you can also try the second one (Convert-Quality).

Edit:
@olly
It looks like that some voices (Goblins, Treeman) are just filtered output of the normal voices. In one mission I had e.g. an Orc speaking with Goblin Voices and also Klaus one time Cheesy.

Shauky
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »

Thanks for your input. Reinstalling the game did it for me. Still don't know what caused the problem.

Cheers,

-Shauky
Hellvis
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 09:06:55 PM »

Maybe it's not the best idea to necro such an old thread, but i wanted to thank Ghabry for his solution for audio problems. I've installed Dark Omen on a new Win 10 system today and quickly encountered an audio bug that was totally new to me.

Symptoms: Audio seems normal in the menu, but right after starting the battle audio randomly slows down and distorts (both music and sound effects).

Solution: Following Ghabry's advice I went: Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> *Playback device* -> Properties -> Advanced -> Default Format and reduced the sampling from 24 bit 96 kHz to 16 bit 48 kHz

...and the problem disappeared!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: