March 28, 2024, 12:49:19 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! CD missing error  (Read 5677 times)
WitchFinder
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »

Hi guys! Thanks for all the amazing support and guidance on here. But I'm still a bit stuck and hoping you can help...

Having found my old CD of WHDO I have fully installed onto my machine and followed your mod instructions. I've had various issues along the way, which seem quite common - eg freezing at loading movie, double vision etc.

I've now got it to a point where i can skip the loading video without it freezing and can get to the main menu. But when i click 'start campaign' the game brings up a pop up that says the CD can't be found. It asks for confirmation of disc drive (which has the disc in) but doesn't do anything when I click the OK arrow.

Please help!! Feel so close and yet so far... Sad
I played this game when it first came out with my non-gamer father, and would be delighted to revisit this with him all these years later!

By the way, I can currently only launch the game using the original ENGrel file, as the new one available via this site doesn't launch for me - i get an error about out of date graphic drivers...

I've looked in the reg editor to see if i can redirect from the disc drive to the C drive, but can't see anywhere that allows me to do this...
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 05:58:30 PM »

Hi and welcome,

You will really need to use the mod pack EngRel.exe and its .dlls fixes to run on Windows 10, did you try the Registry fixes? It's probably easier for me to remote in using Teamviewer, to diagnose why it states out of date display drivers. Unless you want to try dgvoodoo2 3d settings in the help fix guide. Please also state what graphics card you have, is it an Intel HD?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:35:04 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
WitchFinder
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:11:42 PM »

Maybe I’ve done something wrong with the dlls? Do they need to be moved anywhere or opened?

I’ve tried the reg fix and checked in reg editor that all the links go to c drive. (I wondered if that’s why it can’t find the disc?)

I’ve tried a few variations in EngRel settings (compatibility mode etc and using original vs new one) and had mixed results.

With one setting the campaign started but terrain was all black. Then I had lots of crashes on intro video. Now I’ve got round that but it says it can’t find the disc...

Hi and welcome,

You will really need to use the mod pack EngRel.exe and its .dlls fixes to run on Windows 10, did you try the Registry fixes? It's probably easier for me to remote in using Teamviewer, to diagnose why it states out of date display drivers. Unless you want to try dgvoodoo2 3d settings in the help fix guide. Please also state what graphics card you have, is it an Intel HD?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:28:34 PM »

Just easier for me to remote in and check all the steps have been followed. Message me a suitable time and what make is your graphics card and have you tried the dgvoodoo2?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:37:01 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
uk_john
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 05:10:11 PM »

I have this same problem! I have followed Oily's help to the letter. Downloading his 2020 mod folder, vgvoodoo, etc, but I get a pop-up window saying "CD Drive is missing", and it doesn't accept any Drive letter input. There is code somewhere obviously looking for the CD drive, so what file needs to be changed/downloaded, etc to fix this?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 08:23:31 PM »

Hi, sounds like you might be using a downloaded .iso or not using the mod pack EngRel.exe that replaces the original. Did you double click on the virtual store registry file which sets the paths.

Check your messages and can diagnose viaTeamviewer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:30:19 PM by olly » Logged

uk_john
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 05:36:57 PM »

Hi, sounds like you might be using a downloaded .iso or not using the mod pack EngRel.exe that replaces the original. Did you double click on the virtual store registry file which sets the paths.

Check your messages and can diagnose viaTeamviewer.

I am using a .bin/.cue using WinCDEmu, in the registry, after running virtualstore.reg, there is nothing in there. the .reg file looks okay, but there is nothing in the ElectronicArts .regfile. There is a pathfile in the local machine\software\wow6432Node\Electronic Arts, but I just can't get the virtual store.regfile to work. Should I have both the wow6432node\ELectronic Arts AND the Virtual Store with a pathfile? Or should I just need one or the other?

There's something obvious going on, which is why I can't see it, but trust me, I followed Olly's install instructions to the letter!
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 06:20:43 PM »

As suspected its due to mounting the .bin/.cue and not a cd, so uninstall and unmount and check your messages to start again.

uk_john
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 07:39:46 PM »

As suspected its due to mounting the .bin/.cue and not a cd, so uninstall and unmount and check your messages to start again.

I borrowed my Nephews CD and installed from it, then followed your install instructions again, but I just cannot get the virtual store .regfile to work. It does not populate the registry. Consequently, I am still told the CD drive cannot be found. I assumed it would work with an original UK version CD!

Edit: I have tried with your file, and same thing. I still cannot get Virtual Store populated with the paths using the Virtual Store .regfile supplied in the 2020 mod folder.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:16:59 AM by olly » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »

Can help via Teamviewer as quicker to check things out and fix. Having used the .bin you may have to search the registry for Dark Omen and delete any entries left over from your first attempt which explains why it still prompts for the cd.

uk_john
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »

Can help via Teamviewer as quicker to check things out and fix. Having used the .bin you may have to search the registry for Dark Omen and delete any entries left over from your first attempt which explains why it still prompts for the cd.

I deleted the Dark Omen registry each time I installed, so I would have a clean install. I cannot reiterate more that I follow your instructions to the letter, and the problem is that the virtual store .regfile does not populate the registry, even though from the contents of the .regfile, it should. Until such time as I can get the virtual store .reg entry populated somehow I think I will have this "CD drive is missing". I may end up entering the data manually. But that will have to wait until tomorrow! Smiley
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 08:23:31 PM »

Try right clicking on the virtualstore reg file and run as admin or disable antivirus and firewall incase it is preventing the install and also check if UAC is turned off.

uk_john
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 08:41:00 PM »

Try right clicking on the virtualstore reg file and run as admin or disable antivirus and firewall incase it is preventing the install and also check if UAC is turned off.

I will do that. I searched the registry, is it correct that the:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen

is populated?

EDIT: I have snoozed my firewall and anti-virus, you cannot run a .regfile as admin, but the

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node is not being populated when I use the virtual store .regfile. Don't understand it, to be honest.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 11:46:45 PM »

Delete your Dark Omen entry in your
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen

Also look in C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) and delete any Dark Omen folder you might have. (Select View and tick Hidden Items to show AppData)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:12:26 AM by olly » Logged

uk_john
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 12:14:07 AM »

Also look in C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) and delete any Dark Omen folder you might have. (Select View and tick Hidden Items to show AppData)

No Dark Omen in User Files. Don't understand why a straight forward .regfile won't populate the registry! I can see I will have to fill in virtual store manually.... It's the only way I think I get the damn thing populated!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: