March 28, 2024, 07:20:34 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Making videos of DO  (Read 51298 times)
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:04:34 AM »

hello, esp, Gharby

if you provide me (and others) with good informative instruction how to make videos by steps, then i try to make few ones. i know how to use fraps but used it maybe year ago, and also ltitle suspicious about how it will be handeled with DO (mayeb there will be flickers and so on)

for sure links for the needed programs very appreciated

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:29:39 PM »

New Video tutorial in the blog:
http://blog.dark-omen.org/2009/08/17/ghabry/dark-omen/how-i-create-my-dark-omen-vids/

So this one in these topic is obsolete!

Yes, I'm using Fraps for recording. The problem is that the newer versions aren't for free.
I'm not sure if Fraps increases the flicker, I already have many flicker without Fraps but the flickering is not recorded. Old versions of FRAPS have a bug that slowdowns to around 13FPS which makes it hard to play. So if you have this problem: Get a newer one.

I use the following Fraps-Settings for recording (Our eyes are too slow for 25FPS, so they are enough (and it reduces the filesize))

* fraps.png (27.36 KB. 500x375 - viewed 1182 times.)

For encoding I use Avidemux 2.4 (download the stable version). The problem with Avidemux is that it doesn't support the Fraps codec. So you have to convert it with any program you want (and that supports Fraps/Direct Show codecs).
I use VirtualDub in combination with FFDShow (Codecs using ffmpeg, not such a crap like Klite Codec Pack btw).
Install both and start VirtualDub and load your FRAPS Recording in it. Now follow the picture:

* vdub.png (26.26 KB. 1257x602 - viewed 1168 times.)

(Encoder h264, you can also try h264 losless but it's nearly always broken, Mode: 1pass Quality (change quality to 100 for losless (at least it looks quite losless)
Close all Windows with OK.
Now select File -> Save As Avi... and wait until the encoding finishes.

You can now delete your original Fraps-Recording.

Start Avidemux now and open your Video. You should get a h264 Warning dialog, click "yes".
Select the x264 Codec and select configure.
Set the bitrate settings to them of the picture:

* avidemux.png (29.14 KB. 527x392 - viewed 1200 times.)

Note: I use 2000kbit for the normal encoding and 2500kbit for the upscaled youtube version (to get the HD Resolution with great quality). 2-pass-encoding is slow but has much better quality then 1-pass. You can also try using higher or lower bitrates, this will change filesize (and quality). (will result in 200MB for 10min).

You can skip the following one paragraph if you want (some more information about encoding):
Dark Omen seams to be hard to encode because of it's strange flickering ground in CPU-Mode (exception are snow-maps) so you really need such a high bitrate :/.
2mbit/s are also not really enough for DO, if you pause during e.g. the start camera movement you can see lots of artefacts but they shouldn't be a problem if you watch it normally. Also all around the HUD and the Mouse Cursor are blurry parts, dunno why. But it's not really a problem imo, even with 10mbit/s you get them (H264 codec problem?).

For Audio-Encoding use anything you want. I use Mp3 (Lame) with 192kbit bitrate. The Container Format is also unimportant, I use AVI. Only limitation is that youtube should support both Wink.

Now Click Save and wait until encoding finishes.

If you want to make a youtube HD-version you have to upscale it. You can also only create this one versions but it won't be as sharp because of the upscaling so I keep both version.
I use the following Filters (click Video Filter-Button):
Mplayer Resize filter (the normal resize is slow so you should really use this one) and you also need black border because youtube wants 16:9 resolution (Resize-Filter first!, Black Borders second!).
You the following settings:

* avidemux2.png (90.23 KB. 926x536 - viewed 1176 times.)

Now close the filter window and encode again (should take longer then the normal version) and upload it to youtube.

PS: I'm currently using a large monitor so I increased my DPI to make text better readable which results in large text in the screenshots too Smiley.

Hope this was enough explanation alavet Wink

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:04:14 AM by Ghabry » Logged

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:29 PM »

lol instead of being nice, its just scares me:D
well i hope i wil ltry to set it up in next few days... thanks gharby!

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »

well i tried to just record it in another game (cause noone agreed to play me yesterday) and what i got:
about 10 secs of video made for 600mb (wow)
during recoring there was some lags

also, i used another version of fraps by myself where you might manually choose size of file and possibly bitrate so my that last videos for 2-mins was only ~150mb in weight

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »

If you convert the video with the x264 Codec, the movie will decrease in size a lot (I think over 75%)

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »

i just not sure that i may handle it Smiley i only have 20gb free space so if 10secs=600mb and i need 600secs for battle then its 36gb

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:59:26 PM »

The size of the video depends on the Screen Resolution and the FPS.
If you have 640x480 (Dark Omen Resolution) and 25 FPS the file will be around 5GB for 10min.
As bembe said you can reencode it with h264 losless to around 75% of the size in real time (well, on my PC I need around 10min for encoding 10min).
And if you reencode again with avidemux you have 200MB for 10min (if you have no problems with more compression artefacts in the Video just use a lower bitrate)
My Dark Omen video folder has 145 Videos with a size of 30GB (but I failed in encoding the first ~50 ones so normally it should be 40 GB imo)

Don't you have an external HDD for backupping the videos? Because I also have to move them during the tournament (only 17GB free space... that's enough for 3-4 fights)

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »

oh man what about big fmonitor? does i need smth additional to that?

cause i have 24' monitor... tried to record anotehr game and it sucked

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 01:57:58 AM »

Dark Omen always uses 640x480.
Your monitor (I have 24'' too) has nothing to do with this.
If you record a video using your native monitor resolution (1920x1200 I guess) you should have lag (because Fraps eats many resources) and a really large file.

DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:42:36 AM »

Tongue Ok Ghabry, help please;

I want to post a video to show the "black borders problem" when one don't attend to your advices in this post and show the error, so i post this video:

Testing video edition - Bad Edition 1LQ | LQ+ | HQ | HQ+ | by Aeva

As u can see there is in theory no "black borders" problem, because in both sides theres is only one border, but if u go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ZOQ4DCFIU (maybe u have to copy and paste the direction, an error appear on the preview), u will see the original video and there is the "TWO black borders" problem, besides u will have the "full screen option" that i don't know why sometimes appear and sometimes not.

Can u help me with this?  Huh?

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »

New Video tutorial in the blog:
http://blog.dark-omen.org/2009/08/17/ghabry/dark-omen/how-i-create-my-dark-omen-vids/

So this one in this topic is obsolete!

Jim
Developer

Goblin Jim, Commander of Greenskins

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »

Hello everybody,

Here I'd like to write my little tutorial about how to make a video using another software — CamStudio it is called.
It is very simple, and gives good results.

Ok.
First, you have to download and install the program itself from its official website — http://camstudio.org/
(don't forget to donate if you find it useful Wink even a couple of bucks matters, cause «many a little makes a mickle»).

After installing it you have to configure it.
First we set the correct region.
Go to «Region» → «Fixed region...» and set the options as in the image below:

Press "Ok"

Then we configure the video options (codec type, and quality).
Go to «Options» → «Video options» and follow the instruction of the image below

Then press on the «Configure» button of this window, and make some changes in the codec options.
(I made several variations with that, until I found the best proportion of quality/video size);
Make it all like in the image:

Now it's ok with that.

After all you have to make CamStudio Record sound.
Go to «Options» → «Record sound from speakers...».

Although Windows Vista users may have problems with that.
If you get an error message saying «Waveout-blah-blah error», then you have to do next.

Right-Click on the Windows sound icon in the bottom-right bar, and go to the «Recording Devices».
There you have to right-click again to make sure that both «Show Disabled Devices» and «Show Disconnected Devices» are checked.
Then you have to disable a «Microphone» and enable the «Stereo Mix» (see the image below).
After that turn on CamStudio's «Options» → «Record Audio From Microphone» and the sound will be recorded.

Important: Keep in mind that this setting has probably turned off your native microphone device. And if you'll need it, just go to «Recording Devices» again, and make the reverse operation.

Now it's done.

You may press «Record» and then Alt-Tab to Dark Omen, and try to test your first video.
After it's done and saved, you may wish to cut some visual crap from the begginning and the end of the video.
I use a programm that Ghabry advised us to use — Avidemux 2.4. I find it very easy to use and fast.

After that you may upload your video to YouTube and it'll be shown in a pretty good quality.

(If you have some problems or questions, don't hesitate to write here).

Cheers.

My GameRanger ID: 2332541
Online Map shuffler
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »

ok thanks for the tutorial. i tested it and it works for me. file with about 15mins lenght was only 150mb in size, and in good quality

but i have few bugs
1) GOM player doesnt open this video. VideoLan opened it fine
2) i dont know how to fix sound issue you described. i have windows xp and through recordign deviced i cant disable anything (see image for details)

* 3331.JPG (40.17 KB. 359x459 - viewed 1051 times.)

3) video is flickering. like 2 flickrs per second or so. how to solve it?

Jim
Developer

Goblin Jim, Commander of Greenskins

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »

Ok Alavet, let's try to solve it.
I don't have Windows XP by the hand, and it's hard to test... but let's try.

Well I had the flickering issue too, while I was trying to capture the full screen. When I set the Fixed region it worked fine.
Did you set the Fixed region correctly? Please make sure.

Weird to hear about GOM. It plays correctly for me... (what a heck...).

And what happens when you choose the "Record sound from speakers"?

My GameRanger ID: 2332541
Online Map shuffler
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:14:09 PM »

Good stuff.

On vacation
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: