April 24, 2024, 09:34:47 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Intro crash or black ground  (Read 11954 times)
huks
Giant Spider

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »

Hello

I installed DO, downloaded the necessary files to run DO on vista(dll and intro fix), but I still ended up with a frozen intro on my screen, and main menu music playing on the background.

So I messed around with Trouble Shooter, and I found out I need to enable "Force MMX Render" to get past the frozen intro.

But then a new problem emerged: the ground is all black. I guess this is caused because I have MMX on, but everytime I try unpatching the intro crashing happens again. Also I found out having 3D on(not using software)isn't the problem in intro crashing(atleast for me), since it doesen't freeze if I apply MMX, turn off software and restart the game.

I have tried everything suggested here and even some of my own stuff...installing,deleting,reinstalling,trying different switches using Trouble Shooter, different drivers...everything several times, im at a dead end. Im stuck with either intro crash or black ground.

Im using 64bit Vista and ati HD4870(I guess other specs do not matter here?).

Any ideas ?
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »

Did you try starting Dark Omen without CD (this will skip the intro) and insert the CD in the Menu

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
huks
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

Did you try starting Dark Omen without CD (this will skip the intro) and insert the CD in the Menu

Yes I tried that. I also tried nocd crack, making iso of my cd and mounting that, and also downloading a new copy of DO(ware). If I skip the intro, its all black screen and main menu music keeps playing on the background.

I also tested which way(using MMX) and how I should move mouse to blindly exit the game using menu(to see if the menu actually is active)duriing the non-mmx black screen, but I couldnt pull it off, so I guess even the menu music plays on the background it isnt loaded or is frozen.

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »

Try the Vista Crashfix OR try to run Dark Omen with Admin rights. (The Vista Crashfix can't be found in the Vista article (have to add it...))

Edit: You can now find it in the Vista article
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:00:49 PM by Ghabry » Logged

huks
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:45 AM »

Try the Vista Crashfix OR try to run Dark Omen with Admin rights. (The Vista Crashfix can't be found in the Vista article (have to add it...))

Edit: You can now find it in the Vista article

Tried those already, won't do any good. And DO won't even start if I dont use admin rights.

I tried running DO on my laptop(vista32bit). It worked perfectly. I went and tried running it on my friend's computer(same windows as I have) and it worked perfectly. Installing DO, downloading the dll and nocd crack was enough for both computers. I did the same steps as on my own computer, so the problem is not how I install it or anything.

It's starting to look like the problem is in my hardware, most likely graphics card. Tomorrow I will try taking out my own graphics card, and replacing it with my friend's card, since it's not the same one as I have. If my computer can then run DO, I guess we know what the problem is.
gatovaca17
Orc Boy

Jaque Mate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »

Uninstall all, make a new FRESH DO install.
Then, follow this steps:
-NEVER USE PATCHER----->N E V E R
-dll and intro fix
-Copy all files from CD to install dir (missing)
-Tweak regedit.exe (DO tree)
   >>Put settings on regedit making your HD the main unit (instead CD)

[I'll try to put my DO regedit settings here later]

Play DO, if u get freezed, use ALT+TAB and back to DO.
Enjoy Smiley
huks
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »

I got it to working. Smiley

Instead of waiting for you to post your regedit settings(gatovaca17), I decided to copy regedit settings from my laptop, which was able to run DO. I immediately noticed the regedit settings were on a different directory than on my other computer. I realized the vista crash fix had done nothing, since it only applies settings to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen\1.0\Options\Options. My DO settings(on my desktop computer) are not located in that folder.

I manually added Hardware.. etc lines to the correct DO setting folder, and voila, it worked.

Hmmmm you might wanna consider adding to the downloads section, that you might have to enter the lines manually...it could save couple of hours time for some people  Tongue Since ofc atleast I was thinking that the regsettings would go to the right folder Tongue And when earlier deleting the registery entries, I just presseed delete on the folder, without checking the folder.

Thanks, now I can play and lose to you guys...last time I played DO was on a LAN mayby 6years ago or something
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:39:02 PM »

The Vista Crashfix adds a "Force DDraw" and "RunAsAdmin" to the "Dark Omen"-Part of Windows Compatibility Manager (Microsoft already added a fix btw which adds Dark Omen to the Vista Game Explorer Wink).
The Crashfix writes to the regedit path you mentioned, yes. There shouldn't be any other path... Or do you mean the VirtualStore-Path in HKEY_CURRENT_USER? Because Dark Omen is redirected when it tries to write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (you have to run the program as Admin to avoid this).

huks
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »

Since I have 64bit Vista, the regedit settings need to be in SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Electorics Arts etc.. and not in SOFTWARE/Electronic Arts etc..where the fix was placing them
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »

64bit System has different path? wtf...
thx Microsoft for this great idea! (same crap with 64bit progs installed to Program Files (x64) and 32bit to Program Files...)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: