April 20, 2024, 11:12:59 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hard disk problem Help plz  (Read 4408 times)
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »

hey

im hoping someone here has a knowledge of hardware stuff

My external hdd stopped working last night, at first i figured it was the external power supply as the hdd didnt start anymore but when i connected it to my PC then the PC wouldnt start and the external power supply lights up when the hdd isnt connected and when i connect it then it turns off.

So it seems the external hdd blocks any circuit it is connected to but else than that i havnt got a clue about how they work.

The untimate problem is my laptop crashed last week and i backed it up to the external hdd, so it holds almost all my data, incl, a book my wife is writing and wedding pictures. So important stuff.

Does anyone have a clue if a computer tech would be able to recover the hdd since it may only be a power problem or does it sound like a fried hdd?

any help is greatly appreciated.

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:34:14 AM »

Try the rear USB ports of your PC, as they provide more Voltage

than the Front Ports, that traditionaly can't power devices and yes

I appreciate it is an Externally powered device and sadly External HDDs

can fail (I've had 2 go in 3 years). The best chance of success is to re-connect

it to your Laptop (if possible) as that was the last known device that successfully

connected and worked. Failing all that, they can be sent to data retrieval places that

may have more success. Good Luck and we feel your pain, as there's nothing worse.

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »

good idea olly i would have tried that but unfortunately it isnt power by usb but by a regular power supply

my father-in-law thinks that something inside on the print is blocking the power almost like an old fuse, he is a telly repairman so i reckon he may know and is gonna run it past some of his old repairmen mate who also fix printers and PCs
so wish me luck

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »

May the force be with you Grin Grin Grin

"Did you know that there are those days that  even my lucky underpants with spacerockets won't help." "Then u did everything that was in your power ."
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »

Almost all external HDDs are basically a case with an internal controller card and a normal HDD. Therefore, if you've tried all other ways, you can open the HDD case, remove the hard drive, and install it inside your regular computer like a normal HDD.

If this works the problem was likely due to a broken controller card in the external case. If it still halts your computer even when installed as a regular internal hard drive, or it won't show up in BIOS, then the on-drive controller is likely broken. If the disks themselves are broken, then the computer would still boot but the drive would be inaccessible.

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 08:15:36 AM »

thanks mika

i have tried connecting it my my PC directly and that made the PC not work Angry

im pretty sure it a fault on the board not in the storage so im gonna have my father-inlaw have some of his mates have a look they are TV and Computer repairmen and may be able to fit the board
I hope Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: