March 28, 2024, 05:36:59 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Half Screen Flickers?  (Read 6425 times)
CrackBaby
Orc Boy

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:47:34 AM »

Just had to reinstall Dark Omen and been trying to get it set up and running properly however half my screen is flickering (the left hand side).

I assume it might be a refresh rate problem judging from past experience however I can't change my refresh rate, it's set as 60 or 65.

Damn, real disappointed because I'm so keen to play again, it's been about 3-4 years since I last played.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:13:36 AM »

If the mod pack doesn't work then the screen flickering fix won't work either. So find yourself an English version of the CD that will install a PRG_ENG folder.

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
CrackBaby
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:32:05 AM »

Thanks mate... not sure if my message sent to you. Can't see it in the Outbox so appears not.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

I've managed to get it working now, no screen flickering except I just need to confirm I'm doing the MOD process the right way.

1) Start Dark Omen from EngRel.exe in MOD replaced PRG_ENG folder
2) Select MODS
3) Select the MOD and click LOAD
4) Quit Dark Omen
5) Start Dark Omen again as per Step 1

It seems the MOD is still selected at Step 5 if I check MODS again, however if I go to Army list I can't see the new slots or units.

I tried this as well to add further diagnosis and a comparison:

ORIGINAL GAME
1) Started Dark Omen, selected Original Game and Load MOD
2) Checked Multiplayer, Edit Army and there are a few default armies listed

CUSTOM MODS
1) Started Dark Omen, selected Dark Omen 2 or Dark Omen Expanded and Load MOD
2) Checked Multiplayer, Edit Army and there are no army lists available

Once again, thanks for your hard work over the years.... amazing effort!
CrackBaby
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »

What... there ya go!

Apologies about that last one... think I found my issue. Was checking the MODS folders and there are no army lists in there so that kinda explains the above issue hahaha....

Man you guys made this simple! Just a bit of human error here and there oops!
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »

Cool, get practising on the Single player campaigns and then join us on Game Ranger for some multiplayer fun

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
CrackBaby
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 04:09:19 AM »

That's exactly what I'm doing  Grin
Envaya
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 01:42:48 AM »

edit: managed to fix it, I didnt do the compatibility adjustments because I thought that part was for windows 7 only :Smiley
As someone who still plays the tabletop I am so excited to try the new mods, see you on the battlefield and thank you very much for what you do. You make a lot of people very happy Smiley

I know this topic is older but care to explain how you managed to get rid of the screen flickering? I have played DO for years now but when I wanted to updated the mods today it stopped working. I use a downloaded file to install the game. I am from Switzerland so I dont have access to an english version. The game from the file has a EngRel.exe file though. I can get the game to run if I start one specific exe as admin. Dont know how to get rid of the flickering though  Sad

edit: the problems above actually only happen when I use the standard .exe (in PRG_ENGOrig) without mods. I managed to get the mod version (PRG_ENG) by updating the registry and running it as admin, now it looks like this:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:19:52 PM by Envaya » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »

Hi and welcome,

you will need the English UK version of the CD and then follow the install guide ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/read-me-ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

However, you do then say ->

" I managed to get the mod version (PRG_ENG) by updating the registry and running it as admin, now it looks like this:"

So looks like you just need to set the colour to 16bit to stop the flickering as detailed in step 4) of the guide.

4) To avoid screen Flickering on Windows 7 = set your Desktop Screen Resolution to 16bit colour and for Win8.1/10 open your new PRG_ENG folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\ and right click on the new Win8.1/10 & 3d enabled EngRel.exe -> Properties and set its compatibility settings to Run As Administrator, 640x480 and to run in 16bit colours

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: