March 28, 2024, 06:47:18 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Graphical problem on Windows 7  (Read 24054 times)
Dmitry_S.
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »

Hello, dear Dark Omen lovers!

Recently, I installed this amazing game it was not easy to make it run and work properly, but I succeed thanks to many uinstall manuals and throubleshooting articles, including this web site! In that case I want to say thanks to everyone who love this game and make it possible for others to run it on modern systems.

At now I fixed everything with dll, running the game, register editing and screen glitching. I even beat the goblins in the first level without any loses, hovewer, I still experience this problem: the landscape of every mission is completely black and I only see the regiments, arrows and cannon shots. I suspect my netbook's graphic card or system options cause this problem and I also think it can be fixed using TS.exe, where I should change some settings to make landscapes displaying correctly. But unfortunately I have no idea what I should change.

If anybody knows or met such a problem - I'd be very glad and thankful for receiving some help.

I'll attach my system and game settings later today.

Thanks a lot, guys!

Very best,
Dmtiry

* DxDiag.txt (33.84 KB - downloaded 843 times.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:20:44 PM by Dmitry_S. » Logged
Dmitry_S.
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »

From my DxDiag attached to previous post:

System:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Basic 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)
Language: Russian (Regional Setting: Russian)
System Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model: NC110P/NC108P/NC111P
BIOS: AMIBIOS Version 05QH.M083.20120630.TXJ
Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2036MB RAM
Page File: 2457MB used, 1614MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Video:
Card name: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3600 Series (Atom N2800)
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0BE2&SUBSYS_C614144D&REV_0B
Display Memory: 762 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 762 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 600 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »

I get black ground with Intel cards, too.

Try setting the game to CPU mode (instead of 3D) in the Options.
That looks bad but usually fixes that problem.

Dmitry_S.
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »

Thanks Ghabry!

I've already selected CPU, otherwise I have screen glitches and missing menu texts Smiley But the black ground still appears.

In other places I heard that setting system screen colors to 16 bit in system resolution could fix it and also I should manually set Win98 compatibility in game launch icon. Will try this at the evening.

There is also a throubleshooting.exe which allows to try different video settings, maybe selecting or de-selecting some of them may fix that as well. At now I only have "Force 3D" and "No 3dfx" options selected and all color modes (8 bit, 16 bit, ect.).
Dmitry_S.
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »

Well, I must say there is still no good news. Tried switching system to 16 bit color mode, 800x600 resolution (a minimal settings I can set on my netbook), tried to set win7/98 compatibility and 640x480 resolution for main .exe file - still no luck with black grounds. And the screen glitching is back, but this time I can't fix it too!

Hope, if I run the game on another PC (when I have one) it will bring more luck Smiley
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »

Hi and Welcome, can you confirm ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7-game-fixes-t111.0.html

1) CPU mode not 3D
2) No Coloured Cursors

3) That you Alt Tab
4) The Intro crash Registry fix has been applied (please run again)
5) Graphics card driver has been updated
6) Win 7 Control Panel -> User Account Control has been turned off

Then try this if all else fails, as it's a Windows 8 CPU fix and Win 7 3d fix but also allows you to select CPU mode for your Win7 *Please do recheck its CPU mode when using this, instead of 3D in the Dark Omen Options* ->

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k74w1xdnv89y9nn/DarkOmenMods.zip#!

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/3d-mode-and-win8-dark-omen-t1164.0.html

Or upgrade to Win 7 Pro and install virtual XP mode to play it in CPU mode. Even upgrade to win 8 may help as different from Win7 (hence the above fix) and on my Sony Vaio it has crap Intel graphics but can run it on both Win7 and Win 8 (dual booting)

Please let us know how you get on

Smiley
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:19:14 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Dmitry_S.
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 12:25:11 PM »

Hi, olly and thanks a lot for your message!

I can confirm that:
1) Yes, CPU (but actually it doesn't make difference anymore, see below)
2) No coloured cursors (the game crushes otherwise)
3) Alt+Tab - firstly, I wasn't sure what it mean, but after several operations with windowed mode (see below) I can succesfully Alt+Tab the game, but it also doesn't make difference.
4) Yes
5) Wasn't able to update to very latest drivers, to be honest, but I have version from 27.06.2012, so I think it's not the main problem
6) Yes

Well, after studing all your links I tried different settings and even full 3D which surprisingly didn't cause crush and flickering. But the game in full 3D looks like this:

* 3D_issue.jpg (39.14 KB. 640x480 - viewed 922 times.)
" alt="" border="0" />

No units and no grounds. After I switch to CPU mode from this I also have no difference, but I figured out that switching in-game resolution cause different errors, see:

* CPU_issue_hi_res.jpg (41.55 KB. 640x480 - viewed 912 times.)" alt="" border="0" />

This is how the game look in CPU hi resolution mode (no grounds, only units)

* CPU_issue_mid_res.jpg (150.81 KB. 640x480 - viewed 997 times.)" alt="" border="0" />
And this happens if I change resolution to middle one, which is not allowed in 3D mode, by the way (no units, only grounds).

By middle resolution I mean this:

* CPU_mid_res_settings.jpg (140.11 KB. 640x480 - viewed 985 times.)" alt="" border="0" />

So that's the point I stopped now. I fixed Alt+Tab, fixed 3D mode, but still have the game parts displaying problem Sad
I also tried different versions of EngRel.exe from your archive ("3d" and "not  3d"), tried different intro_crush_fixes and of course I reinstalled and made back up for the game before I experimented.

By the way, is it a must that the game should be in "Program Files" folder or it can be in "Games\Dark Omen", for example?
And the last, maybe if you can give me a link to proper version of English WH Dark Omen version and I'll reinstall it instead of my current, maybe it can help somehow.

Thanks again! I feel closer to finally play it :>

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:31:24 AM »

try the Vista/win7 crashfix

Make sure that your game is really called EngRel.exe otherwise the fix is not applied. (a good indicator is that 3D mode is not available anymore)

Dmitry_S.
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »

Sorry for didn't show up for a week! I'll definately try this fix and rename my file. Maybe the root is in I used files with different name (EngRel3D.exe and others). Also I'll take a closer look into regedit and share what I'll be able to achieve Smiley

Thank you, guys!
Dmitry_S.
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »

Hi, guys.

Didn't have a chance to try your latest advice, but I'll let you know when something finally move forward.

Thanks a lot for your kind help.
dreadfell
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »

Hello, after installing the mods I cannot get past the initial opening. Whether I allow the opening to complete or stop the movie I get a locked up screen of the last image it was showing. Can hear the correct sound effects for opening screen. Have tried all fixes listed and reinstalled completely without mods with same result. I dont want to dig into the REG so am considering system restore as may resolve the issue. Any thoughts? I have included pics of install folders including what is in prgeng. Thanks for any help!

* Capture.PNG (23.62 KB, 600x243 - viewed 853 times.)

* Capture3.PNG (13.24 KB, 619x156 - viewed 865 times.)
* DxDiag.txt (29.23 KB - downloaded 446 times.)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »

Try running the Intro crash fix again ->

http://en.dark-omen.org/dark-omen-and-windows-vista.html

and if that doesn't work then download paste these new PRG_ENG SaveGame and Mods folders into your main Dark Omen folder, after renaming your original PRG_ENG folder to PRG_ENGOrig.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fnnkq89xdjy75m0/DarkOmenMods.zip%3Cbr%20/%3E[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/fnnkq89xdjy75m0/DarkOmenMods.zip

As you are playing on an ATI graphics card, use the engrelno3d.exe contained in the new PRG_ENG folder because the new engrel.exe is for 3d mode.

Let us know how u get on

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
dreadfell
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 01:38:21 AM »

Seems to have worked(thanks a bunch!). How do I start the mods? I select and hit load and it takes me back to opening screen.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »

It is working fine, its just some of the mods don't alter the main menu screen, so start a new campaign and you will see the difference.

Smiley

dreadfell
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »

Yah, no difference from the main campaign for me. Tried 4 missions.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: