March 28, 2024, 02:27:38 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Game suddenly stopped working  (Read 3289 times)
Mikeswans
Troll

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:00:36 PM »

Hello, I have the original game disc and, with alot of help from this site,I managed to get it working with the help of several downloads (d3drm, darkpatch,ddraw,do_crashfix,do_crashfix_64bit). I used these downloaded files with the mod Engrel (Engrel 3d fix &extreme camera zoom..) and at first, the game worked fine, the game would open straight to the main menu avoiding the intro vids and play fine no problem, played again next morning.... everythig fine... played some MMORPG for an hour or 2, then later that night when I tried to play the game again, it just wouldn't work, the screen stays black but I can hear the music playing, then the game would crash even though nothing has changed. I've now tried re-downloading some of the fixes and altering compatability mode but no sucess, and although I can get the intro movies to play(which i didnt want) the actual menu will not load everything just freezes with sound playing. 

Can anyone help please?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »

Hi and welcome,

reinstall the intro crash fix and remove the ddraw.dll from Dark Omen\PRG_ENG this will hopefully allow it to run in CPU mode rather than 3d.

Any problems pop into chat channel so I can help some more.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikeswans
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »

Tried redownloading the intro crash fix, and deleted that extra download, but still no luck, and now seems like I cant access chat due to my "security settings and blocked an application..." ill try and fix this asap so I can chat  --gotten into chat via Mabbit(?)--.

It was being played in CPU  mode but was using the 3d fix &extream zoom modded Engrel as it worked and wanted the zoom.

Its weird cause literally nothing changed for it to go from working fine to broken. I opened the files the same way, opened the EngRel the same way (highlighted the downloaded fixes and draged them onto the mod Engrel) and yet now black screen but with the main menu sound, then game either crashes or stays stuck on screen like that forcing me to task manager close it ( Game not responding). Nothing at all changed which is weird. Might try uninstalling and re-installing to see if that helps...although not ideal as dont want to risk losing saves.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:53:25 PM by Mikeswans, Reason: update » Logged
Mikeswans
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »

After a lot of help and work from Olly, this problem has finally been fixed Cheesy. Thank you again! can finally play one of my favourite games again Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: