March 29, 2024, 09:53:19 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flickering Windows 8.1  (Read 6734 times)
Luxotican
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:37:07 AM »

Hi Guys,

Been trying to get this game working all day. I have got it installed, extracted all the mods and installed them. Game loads fine, however I'm experiencing screen flicker still. Regardless of what settings I use. Tried in 3D mode and CPU mode. Cursors disabled. Compatibility mode, 16 bit colour, run as administrator, resolution settings. I've also tried the Nvidia settings set here, still no joy.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/dark-omen-in-full-3d-mode-high-res-xp-and-no-flicker-t248.0.html

The game actually runs, I can deploy troops and start a battle, but my eyes burn in the process. Seems to be only one half of the screen that's having issues.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light! I did join the IRC chat channel but the chap said he was moving it or something, then went off to bed, as you can see, its kinda late now and I feel like i've exhausted most resources. or at least the ones i could think of.

Tried this on two machines, both with 8.1
Laptop: i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB, Nvidia GTX 765M - Also tried Integrated
PC: i7, 16GB, GTX960

Let me know if you guys need anymore information etc..
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 03:18:31 AM »

Hi and welcome, but sorry it just means you either don't a have good original CD of Dark Omen, that has installed correctly to the C:\program files (x86)\ or to the registry without corruption, or haven't installed the mod pack correctly. Although I have seen one Anti Virus product quarantine our mod pack .dlls and stop them running and therefore not fix Screen Flicker but AV products alert you of the fact, so probably isn't the cause.

So back to the Help Fix Guide ->
http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

Lots of people post the same thing time and time again and 90% of the time they have a dodgy download CD. Once they get an original it installs properly and everything works. Otherwise I remote onto their pcs via Teamviewer to generally find they haven't followed the 4 steps of the guide, since Win8/10 needs the already Hex edited EngRel.exe in the Mod Pack PRG_ENG to work properly, to fix screen flicker, after being set to run in 16bit. I 've always been able to fix it for many hundreds of fans over many, many years, so I know 100% Dark Omen runs fine on Win 7/8/10. So don't loose hope and pop into chat more often.    

Smiley
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:39:18 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Luxotican
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »

Hi Olly,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I do own the Original CD, however Its quite badly scratched, I also don't own a CD drive between any of my machines these days, everything being a digital download means I haven't owned a disk drive for... a long time! Not sure of the best place to download a decent copy from that isn't already 'altered' to work with a newer version of Windows.

Also, having loaded the game and been able to see the newer campaigns has just made me want to play it even more! Looks fantastic!

I guess I'll check the bay for a new copy and I'll see if I can ''borrow'' an external CD drive from work.

What you guys have done with this game is fantastic. Once I get it working I'll probably see if I can stream it, all being well! Smiley
Luxotican
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »

Missus managed to find a copy of the disk whilst i'm at work! I must have made that a long time ago... Lets hope that works Wink
Luxotican
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »

Typically, no spare external disk drives at work. urgh!
Luxotican
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:26:20 PM »

finally got hold of a disk drive. Installed from the CD, installed the patch and worked first time. Amazing, thanks guys!

Mayor of Boganhoffen always gets me with his brummy accent! Cheesy
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

Classic! Glad you got it working on hope to see you on the Multiplayer Battlefield soon, after you enjoy all the alternate campaigns.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Luxotican
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:10:31 PM »

theres so many campaigns....... Shocked

I'll hopefully get on there soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: