March 28, 2024, 02:28:43 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flickering os 8.1  (Read 3513 times)
decaywolf
Troll

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:49:07 AM »

I have tried many different download game files (more than 8 ) since there was an argument about the flickering cause being a flawed version of the game.
I have set in compatibility mode, run as administrator 800x640, 16bits and 8 bits colour (after 16 bits failed to fix),compability either with windows 8 or 98/me, works fine.

My nvidia 3d settings is set everything off, except for graphic quality and vsync.
Checked the regedit everything is propely set.

Running on 3d mode, since cpu crash the game and won't open anymore, required to reinstall. Mouse colour is set off.
Tried d3drm.dll from a dll website and from this website. Also installed the darkpatch ddraw.dll just because why not?
I have installed the armytmp, but I have no clue how it supposely to fix the flickering, since this and mods are made to include new content, not to fix the colour bit rate.

I have also download an ISO version for PSX, and it does work flawless, the only problem is that I would need to play with a controller, which is awful. So the only problem is the pc version, which I have downloaded several different ones from different sources/sites. I am really tired of this game right now.

Installation always set on maximum size.

I suspect if I install the direct X 5, it would work or at least this is the only thing left to try, since I didn't found the colour bit rate on the regedit to set it manually...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:56:59 AM by decaywolf » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »

Things that concern me are ->

1) "Have set in compatibility mode, run as administrator 800x640, 16bits and 8 bits colour (after 16 bits failed to fix),compability either with windows 8 or 98/me, works fine." Strange you can't set 16 bit colour

2) "Tried d3drm.dll from a dll website and from this website. Also installed the darkpatch ddraw.dll just because why not?I have installed the armytmp, but I have no clue how it supposely to fix the flickering, since this and mods are made to include new content, not to fix the colour bit rate." Please confirm that you followed the guide and actually copied the 3 new Mod folders that contain the .dlls and also the Win8.1 compatible new EngRel.exe in the new PRG_ENG folder.

3) "I suspect if I install the direct X 5, it would work or at least this is the only thing left to try" Why is this the last thing to try when it should have been done when following the guide.

4) Check your Antivirus and Firewalls are disabled as might be preventing the necessary .dlls to run.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
decaywolf
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:11:31 AM »

I can set it to 16 bits, but the left side remains purple and keeps flickering on videos and maps.

I have copied the  armytmp, a new folder with PRG_ENG (after renaming the older one), but I did not copied the mods.
Do I need to? Because won't mods implement new campaings, unit models and overall modifications that affects gameplay wise?
Well, the game does run, the only issue is the flickering, so would installing the mods fix that? And why?

When I said install direct x 5, I meant unistalling my current directx in order to install 5, because at the ending of installation I do click on 'yes' to install, but nothing does happen, since I already have a newer version of direct x installed, the computer simply ignores the older and press forward. But thing is, since I have no garantee if this will work, I kinda don't want to unistall my current direct x, in order to try the older one that might not even fix the flickering.

Which dll would fix the colour bit rate? Why inputing the colour rate to 16 in the compatibility bar isn't enough?
Normally when a program wants to run or modify anything a window pops up asking if I would allow or not...

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »

"I have copied the armytmp, a new folder with PRG_ENG (after renaming the older one), but I did not copied the mods.
Do I need to?"

Yes, just follow the guide exactly and copy all 3 folders including the mods please. (you can always select to play the original from the ingame mod selector menu).

If you want to try your own install method by not following the guide, then you can't really expect us to spend time troubleshooting what you may or may not have done.

The following may sound slightly harsh but honestly it isn't your system and it is isn't our Guide at fault. The guide was created to avoid having to answer as many help requests, that always turn out to be due to not following it correctly.

Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:33:57 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
decaywolf
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »

Alright, I am gonna give a last try. I just don't get why mods would fix the flickering problem, since it supposed to add new content rather than change the bit colour rate, what could make these changes would be the dll, but I did copied them all.
Crusoe
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:13:49 AM »

Olly has reason, i have just installed the game again after years (cd went damage !! and i only had my ps one copy available !! ..... in fact , my ps1 console is out of service too since years due to lector malfunction) and if u do all things exactly as they say u will install and play the game whithout any problem  ...   well , maybe somes but not related to the installation guide !!

I usually played over an Win XP SO, an AMD Athlon 1.8 Ghz, 1GB Ram 333 Mhz DDR, 256 MB video ram, VGA monitor 15" 1024x728 DX9 playing at high quality game options (except 3D mode and colour cursor) and so many years has passed that now i had to install the game over a new pc .... inmediatly succes !!

Now im running the game over WIN 10 using an AMD A10-7800 Kaveri Quad Core 3.5 GHZ, 8GB Ram 2133 Mhz DDR3, 1GB video ram , 23" monitor HD touch 1920x1080 DX12. I thought i could try 3D mode and colored cursors now but $%$&$% !!!
i still cannot !!! After trying those game settings my pc monitor went frozen (after game intro) and i come back to reality ...  xD

Plus that, now i cant play using high quality options and i have to play at medium otherwise i got too low FPS.
No flickering, no gamma or color quality problems, no flat video or any kind of problem related ; no windowed game.

As an aditional tip:
..... "somehow" , i have discovered that if u got a CD image of the game this one usually is a BIN file. If u use newest CD burners that supports BIN files as well as ISO ones, normally thay cant burn it correctly and the result is an error. U will have a CDA (audio CD or wathever) instead of a game data CD and mostly ppl doesnt notice it because all the game files are visible on the CD data when using the explorer and opening the disc as a directory. Using an old cd burner version or simply trying another diff one than first used will solve this. For ex, Ashampoo (all versions) cant record properly but newest PowerISO version does it perfectly !!

Great work guys !!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: