March 28, 2024, 06:50:04 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Everything looks good except it freezes at intro if I press a button  (Read 3009 times)
MichaelBuchanan
Troll

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2020, 12:46:16 AM »

So I really want to play the game again.
I am using a windows 7 machine.
I already added the file from CD to the Eng. Folder to make it launch

The introp movie and colors look normal but it freezes when I press a button.
I am thinking the cursor setting is set to colored even though I have not been able to do anything yet.

So I need to get past this and looking for help. I remember in the past I installed it and on the main menu I simply made sure the cursor was black and white etc but right now I cant even click on anything on menu because it freezes.

The second thing is I try to uninstall it so I can reinstall it.... but the computer says can't uninstall because files corrupt so I go to the folder and delete it manually.
But after I delete it manually the computer still thinks its installed because its still in the uninstall section of computer and also when I click on the cd it says play instead of uninstall.

I have never needed to download any mods or anything to get this game to work on my windows 7 I have the original cd and in the cd it came with the files DLL etc
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:16:13 AM »

Hi and welcome. Sounds like the registry isn't correct due to permissions like user account control. Please download the mod pack, in the help fix guide which contains the registry files. The registry is why it thinks the game still exists even after you have uninstalled.

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
MichaelBuchanan
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:41:28 PM »

Hi managed to put the disc in find the installation file start it up and install it again anyway.
So back to the just starting the game intro plays like normal and looks fine but when I press a button to go to main menu it freezes.

In the past it was an ez fix but its been a long time and I forget. I do not think I needed to download anything either.

I think if I could disable the colored mouse that might do it.

In the past when I installed the game it automatically allowed me to go to the main menu and then I checked the settings but this time its freezing at intro when I press a button and also if I let it go on its own it will freeze at a black screen or on the main menu.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:33:35 PM »

So did you try the registry, as it sets things like the coloured cursor etc.

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
MichaelBuchanan
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »

I did go to the registry hkey/localmachine, software then electronic arts dark omen.

Anyway I deleted it and then reinstalled the game. (since it wasn't working)

I notice when I reinstall the game there is nothing in the registry for it. I think possibly the only reason I had anything in the registry in the first place was because I downloaded the intro crash fix files and tried them and they did not work.

So square 1. Game is installed. Intro freezes. I check registry nothing there for Dark Omen. So what is the next thing to do?

Also thanks.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:30:05 PM »

Please read the help fix guide as it shows the alternative registry location

or in the VirtualStore
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts]

MichaelBuchanan
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 08:44:26 PM »

Hi good news I got past the Intro freeze simply by changing the a setting in the troubleshooter "Force MMX Render" to on.

So now I was able to get to the menu and go to options.

Now I started the game and the movies work.

Next issue.

When starting level background is black but I can see the units and they look good. So now need to solve problem with background.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 10:07:05 PM »

I've dug out my old windows 7 64bit pc and sent you both sets of registry files and whole Dark Omen install folder, including the PRG_ENG folder that contains a working EngRel.exe and dgvoodoo control panel that plays the game in 3d but black & white cursors to begin testing with.

* DO_Win764_DgVoodooDX.jpg (79.88 KB. 407x480 - viewed 417 times.)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:33:20 PM by olly » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: