March 29, 2024, 12:05:44 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Omen game issue.  (Read 11514 times)
tempz
Troll

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:53:32 AM »

So I installed the game... on windows 8...

had the issue of missing d3drm.dll file, which I got and put in the \prg_eng folder... problem solved...

then got a message "direct x incompatible or display drivers out of date"... corrected this by clicking the autorun link and going on properties...compatability tab... setting compatability to windows me/98.... PROBLEM SOLVED...

Now I can start Dark Omen actually getting as far as the main menu for the first time, but when I click to start "new campaign" I get pop up "CD-Rom is missing?... CD-Rom is required for this selection...ensure the cd-rom is present and highlight the drive letter of your cd-rom drive" and on the side I have the options of cd drives to select...

I select the drive but it just takes me back to the main menu. The campaign doesn't begin.

however... I don't have the disc...and when I try to create an image from a file... and mount it on power iso... I still cant get further. Any help would be appreciated and hopefully the top part of my post will help people with the first two problems.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »

Hi and welcome, please download our Mod folders that will start the game without the CD

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fnnkq89xdjy75m0/DarkOmenMods.zip%3Cbr%20/%3E[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/fnnkq89xdjy75m0/DarkOmenMods.zip

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
tempz
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:48:55 PM »

Thanks for your quick reply olly. I appreciate your enthusiasm about this game as im sure we all know, it rules !! Cheesy

still having trouble though... downloaded the mods you said, it allowed me to start the campaign but all graphics were "broken"... like negative colours and the menu words were doubled over each other...

This game seems to have so many obstacles to get it going... look forward to further comment from you Smiley
cheers mate!

-----
more specifically, the background of the main menu is "doubled"... I can see it once on the left once on the right... very weird... furthermore.... the whole applications window only takes up 1quarter of my laptop screen. I don't know why it does come open in a full window...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:13:04 AM by tempz » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »

Run in Compatibility Mode 16bit colour (right click on EngRel.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\PRG_ENG if you are Windows 8 ) or set desktop screen resolution to 16bit if you are Win 7

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:22:22 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
tempz
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »

That seems to have sorted the double screen repeat issue...

I found that if I go in the compatability settings, and "run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" that put it in full screen mode rather than just having a quarter sized screen...

Still got a few problems :L the colours are still all negative-y.. and although I have full screen now, and although all the buttons are "in the right place"(on the menu for example), the actual graphics only take up the left half of the screen. So I have to move my mouse around on the black half watching for menu options to highlight to know im clicking the right one...

any ideas? Thanks again for your help Smiley
tempz
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »

Think ive basically resolved the problems now... had to run off engrelno3d file!!!!!!.... compatability set to me/98...
16bit colour...
seems ok now Cheesy
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:10:22 PM »

Glad its working!

Smiley

ase62
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 05:51:36 PM »

Similar problem Sad I managed to deploy a Virtual Box on Linux Ubuntu. Inside I created a Virtual Machine with Windows 98 (spanish version - is that a problem?) running properly. I can listen audio and graphic configuration is ok. I managed to install other games.

Then I shared by samba the graphic drivers and all ok. Finally, I mounted the iso file with the game (coverted from the bin file) and I managed also to correctly install the game. The presentation was amazing (I remembered after so many years). Then, when trying to start a game, the D:\ error. What I have done to try to solve it:

1) I downloaded the file with MODs and Prg_eng and so on. I put it into the correct directory.
2) I also edited with regedit the registry after checking that it was referencing to D:\
3) I also moved the Movies/intro file to C:\ directory (to the path where the game is, obviously).
4) I also restarted the operative system
5) I also created an additional iso with Movies directory on root just in case (E:\)

When trying to load a game (or even a saved game, as I can now see that this section is active after having left the MODs on the installation path) I always get the annoying message: I must put the CD on the D:\ or E:\ unit (I see both as I have two iso files mounted on D: and E:. Even starting the game from any of these iso files I'm not able to made them work.

Any hint to make it work? Thanks in advance!
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »

Hi, yes you do need a UK CD and the mod fixes are really for win10 so you might find some bits wont work. Originally DO on win98 should work but you might need a Dark Omen no CD fix perhaps.

ase62
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 06:31:37 PM »

Hi, yes you do need a UK CD and the mod fixes are really for win10 so you might find some bits wont work. Originally DO on win98 should work but you might need a Dark Omen no CD fix perhaps.

Thanks so much, Olly. After so much effort I would like to find out the way to make the OS to see that the CD is mounted (it's an ISO, but it's mounted, so it should find the files there).

Here they explain a solution to this issue:

http://www.codercaste.com/2010/01/02/cracking-dark-omen-game-cd-protection/

The author comments that:

"The call 0048A5E0 is the one that checks if there are certain files to be loaded in certain drives. To understand better this,think that the files needed for the game to run are all taken from C:\, except from one.This one is the “intro.tgp” file,which is taken from the cd.So,it checks for this file in E:\ and if it cannot find it,it calls for the bad message.As you may have already imagined, there are two solutions:

*Either noop(90) the call that checks for this file,
*Or copy the Movies\intro.tgq file into your directory of the game and MAKE it think it’s in C:\."

So I applied the second solution mentioned: copy the Movies\intro.tgq file into the game directory, but no way.

What a pity... Sad
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 06:26:40 PM »

Hey guys how have you been. Hope everything is fine.

I installed Dark Omen yet another time on my new laptop. I managed to run the game with my own patch but I have a graphics issue I do not know/remember how to resolve.

* DO Graphics Bug.png (437.36 KB. 647x919 - viewed 549 times.)

Can anyone help and remind me of compatibility patches or something? I have core-i3 ice lake and Intel UHD Graphics if that matters.
Thank you.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »

Hi, please follow the help fix guide and dgvoodoo2 as fairly new and makes DO look 200% better. Or just send me your teamviewer details and I will remote in and fix.

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 08:22:07 AM »

Thank you,
everything (almost) worked and indeed it now looks much better with 3d emulator and stuff. Good old Dark Omen Smiley

Why I say "almost" is - I noticed your custom dwarf heads have graphical glitches when they speak

* custom heads glitch.png (270.88 KB. 647x919 - viewed 503 times.)

I noticed it for dwarf king and also engineer (dwarf in glasses, in horned helm) - dwarf campaign, mission 1. Engineer glitches are less noticable - smaller and better color. But both are somewhat related to mouth-beard region...
Can you please let me know if you have the same as I have on the provided screenshot?

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 12:06:16 PM »

Yep, there's also the army book profile pictures that now need fixing when using dgvoodoo2 but definitely worth it, as looks so much better.

Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: