March 28, 2024, 10:27:38 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Omen failed to run because of out of date display drivers  (Read 7452 times)
Bernheart
Giant Spider

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:00 AM »

Please help.  It was working fine before  Shocked

Another error showed direct X incompatibility...

I used patches...it should work ok...

Thanks in advance, Tim
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »

Hi Tim,

I can remote in using Teamviewer but you could try this long shot of using the Mod selector to choose Original Dark Omen and ensuring you have CPU mode not 3d selected in Options, then quit game and rename ddraw.dll to something like ddrawOrig.dll and darkpatch.dll to darkpatchOrig.dll which will disable them and then try Dark Omen again (as it should now run in original mode without Mod Selector or 3D). If this works then rename darkpatchOrig.dll back to darkpatch.dll (to enable it) and run the game again, if it works then do same for ddraw.dll and if game runs again, consider trying Options to 3d from CPU but only if you used to run in 3d mode.

Let us know how you get on as maybe something else to try, like adding EngRel.exe to the NVidia control panel and setting a few option for it.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »

Today I had the same! ->

* DOOutofDateDrivers.jpg (21.32 KB. 556x261 - viewed 1072 times.)

So spent ages updating NVidia drivers and rolling them back, then tweaking settings in NVidia Control panel and disabling darkpatch.dll/ddraw.dll, only to remember I had plugged my laptop into a usb docking station at work, that installed its own display drivers.

* DOOutofDateDriversFixUninstallDockingStation.jpg (83.85 KB. 1144x254 - viewed 977 times.)

Uninstalled the DisplayLink Drivers for the usb docking station and Dark Omen works again! (full 3d mode via NVidia graphics card on Alienware).

Hope you find the same fix.

Smiley

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:57:50 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Astargoth
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »

Hi, I have a similar problem on my son's win 10 PC.

I click EngRel.exe
Then a black square appears (starting the game I assume)
Then the following error message comes up (before any intro has begun):

'Dark Omen has failed due to an incompatible DirectX version or out-of-date display drivers'

I have followed the install instructions on this page to the letter: http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/read-me-ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

Things to note:
1. I have installed it on my win 10 PC (using the instructions above) and it runs fine
2. During install on my son's PC, when asked to install direct x and 'Yes' is selected I do not see anything happening, the DO install just completes (can't remember if it did this on my PC to be fair)
3. When following the alternate install instructions on http://en.dark-omen.org/dark-omen-and-windows-vista.html the game opens fine but has the CD check problem (http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/cd-missing-while-cd-is-here-t1289.0.html) stopping you from playing the campaign
4. The only display driver on my son's PC is the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver

I have tried a dozen or so different ways with a fresh install each time, but alas.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated Smiley

Thanks,
Astargoth
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »

Hi,

Since you've already tried a few things, then probably easier for me to remote in using Teamviewer and investigate. Message me your ID and session password and preferred GMT 0 time. It will probably  be antivirus or Admin permissions and have you installed the registry fixes?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: