March 28, 2024, 08:51:33 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D mode and Win8/7 [ Dark Omen ]  (Read 81898 times)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

Hi and welcome,

unfortunately only NVidia cards work with full 3d, as mentioned in this other post ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/windows-81-3dmode-and-intel-hd-gt1-haswell-anyone-have-any-luck-tips-t1242.0.html;msg12643#msg12643

However, if you want to test you will have to uninstall the game, delete the Dark Omen registry entries and then reinstall but don't apply the Intro crash fix and it also hard sets CPU mode (Press Esc to skip the Intro).

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Outmind
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 10:02:31 PM »

Thank you for the advice, I'll try it out.

I've uninstalled dark omen, but don't know where the left over registry files are located. I've looked through the software folders in both the current user and local machine folders, and there are no dark omen / electronic arts / warhammer folders to delete.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »

The uninstall should have cleared the registry but just in case you can RegEdit -> Ctrl F and Search(F3) for Dark Omen (my Windows 8 has it in HKEY_Current_User -> Software -> Classes-> Virtual Store ->Software-> Microsoft->Wow6432Node-> Electronic Arts->Dark Omen due to installing it as a non Administrator (Right click on Setup.exe and Run as Administrator to avoid this).

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/win-7-ultimate-64-bit-problem-t640.0.html;msg6031#msg6031
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:46:24 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Outmind
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »

No luck. Now the game has the black screen and music playing, a problem which i encountered when installing it before. I read a post somewhere on the forum that the vista / win7 fix forces the game to use direct draw... is there any way to bypass this by editing the fix itself? If not, it looks like I'll have to settle for the software version. It's lame that nvda cards can run it and ati can not.

By the way, what about glide wrappers? Could they help?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 10:49:44 PM »

I've tested ATI and Intel a few times and by default they don't work but haven't spent loads of time trying different options, as NVidia works.

Good Luck and let us know if you do get it working with ATI or Intel!

Smiley

Outmind
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »

Thank you for your help, in any case. I'll just have to be content  with the new campaigns and units then.
Thoreg
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

This works like a charm and I have an AMD Radeon R9 280X. Smiley Thanks! The only issue I found is that the Tutorial doesn't recognize when I move the camera.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »

Excellent it's good to know that it does work with AMD/ATI cards and NVidia. (We find the same with Tutorial mission).

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:09:29 PM by olly » Logged

aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »

AFAICT, the tutorial issue affects only CPU mode
bennymcl
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:48 AM »

How does one edit the file for windowed mode???

"To play 3D-mode on Win7 in windowed mode... ( with no ForceDirectDrawEmulation of course )
hex-edit the english version of EngRel.Exe, write 0x00 at file offset: 0x000BD0A8
Set the desktop to 16-bit color."

All I see is this. I have never had to do any hex-coding before, but it doesn't seem like anything in this file represents what's mentioned above... help please?

* Screenshot-2015-02-20-09.25.41.png (51.42 KB, 1429x758 - viewed 1263 times.)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 08:28:50 AM »

Welcome,

(scroll further down the page until row BD0A0 and column 8 to reach 0x000BD0A8 and change 01 to 00

In my earlier posts I offer to save you the hard work by having some premade ones, ready for you to download, along with mod folders and everything else you need ->

http://www.mediafire.com/download/17j7dcb1k4adi7z/DOGR3dArmyFix.zip

However, if you really want to try then see my previous post that shows a picture of how to do it ->

Aqrit states "To play 3D-mode on Win7/Win8 hex-edit the english version of EngRel.Exe, write 0x00 at file offset: 0x000BD0A8  

Just remember to set 16bit colour desktop (Win 7) or set 16bit colour in compatibility mode for Win8 by right clicking EngRel.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility settings. Also full 3d mode will only work with Nvidia GTX high end graphics card and some ATI cards (worked on one so far).

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:16:53 AM by olly » Logged

aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:37 AM »

dgVoodoo 2  runs Dark Omen with lots of troubles.

One might need a newer version of d3drm.dll than the one that comes with the game.

Kinda runs here in Win8 in 3d low detail mode.
requires the windowed mode (hex-edit) to run in 3d high detail mode.

Something to keep an eye on.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »

Nice find and will try it out. Hopefully the Linux community can benefit as well.

Thanks

Smiley

SparkTR
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »

Great topic, but I have a few issues I want to get sorted. First one is with the fix files put together by Olly (namely this one) the only .exe that works correctly for me is the normal EngRel.exe (not in any folders), the others load fine, but I'm unable to use my keyboard in-game (no rotating camera etc.)

First issue was fixed by turning compatibility mode to W98.

Second issue is that the tutorial doesn't recognize when I move the camera with my mouse, which makes it unfinishable. Is there a work-around? This issue does indeed occur when 3D mode is activated, not just CPU mode, unless I've been in CPU mode all along. Can anyone check this ingame image to confirm? http://imgur.com/1J2hcYE

Second issue was also kind of fixed, just spend a couple of minutes in the tutorial section and the guy will move on from the camera. Not sure why it took so long.

Also coloured cursor crashed the game, is that a known issue?

Coloured Cursors work with this patch: www.blitz-art.neostrada.pl/ww/wdo_winxp_color_cursors.rar

Thanks.

Edit: So the only issue is the tutorial takes longer to finish than usual. Pretty nice fix! Thanks guys
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:21:17 AM by SparkTR » Logged
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 03:54:04 PM »

dgvoodoo 2.45 is out and runs Dark Omen very well...
( with the windowed mode hack in OP )
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: