March 28, 2024, 05:53:42 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D mode and Win8/7 [ Dark Omen ]  (Read 81896 times)
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:09:35 AM »

*Only works with NVidia graphics card so far..*

Something seems to be wrong with the flipping chain...

In 3D mode every other frame is blank.
On win8 it looks like every other frame has the wrong color-depth.
Alt+Tab'ing away and coming back ( on the main menu ) causes Flip() to start failing with a "ran out of memory" result.

I assume the back buffer has a z-buffer attached, is set as the rendering target of d3d, etc.

To get 3D-mode working we can just change the Flip() call to a Blt()
Which costs vsync and still has issues when alt+tabbing away

The lazy man's way of not having a flipping chain is to enable the "debug" windowed mode.
Windowed mode can not have the primary surface as part of a flipping chain.
( so it will use Blt instead of Flip )

To play 3D-mode on Win7 in windowed mode... ( with no ForceDirectDrawEmulation of course )
hex-edit the english version of EngRel.Exe, write 0x00 at file offset: 0x000BD0A8
Set the desktop to 16-bit color.

Enable the "Run in 640 x 480 Screen Resolution" on the compatibility tab to have a fullscreen window.

On Win8:
Windowed mode fixes CPU-mode for me ( if it isn't run as admin )
Win8 also has an option to reduce the display to 16-bit color on the compatibility tab
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:52:45 AM by olly » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

Hi Aqrit and welcome back,

your fix sounds great and can't wait to test later on win 8 but talking with you the other night, you gave me and Ghabry Dark Omen ddraw.dll that fixed 3D Mode in Win7! Although it only worked on my bro's Dell pc P4 3Ghz + nvidia 7800gtx Win 7 64bit but wouldn't work on my Acer Pentium Dual core + nvidia 210 XP or on my AMD Phenon quad core + nvidia 630GT Win 7 64bit or XP (no worries but any ideas why? perhaps the lower end cards can not do it although Ghabry had it running on his laptop with Intel and Nvidia optimus).

However, I will try your suggestion -> "To play 3D-mode on Win7 in windowed mode... ( with no ForceDirectDrawEmulation of course )
hex-edit the english version of EngRel.Exe, write 0x00 at file offset: 0x000BD0A8

Enable the "Run in 640 x 480 Screen Resolution" on the compatibility tab to have a fullscreen window."  

This is amazing news and really revitalises Dark Omen for years to come, as looks really decent in 3d mode and saves alot of hassles with 100mhz monitors etc..   on behalf of the Dark Omen community we thank you!  

Smiley

*****UPDATE ***************

Tested new EngRel hex 3D fix and worked perfectly on Dell Win 7 64bit nvidia 7800gtx but not on XP dual boot same hardware. So that's 2 successfull ways that you have fixed full 3d mode on win 7! Many Thanks

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:04:19 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »

Beta Maps in full 3d mode on win 7

Thanks again for the fix Aqrit.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
JulD
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »

Hi,

Guys I just joined as I grew up playin' both tabletop and DO. Is there anyway to run 3D on:
Win 7 32
Intel Core i3-2310M 2.1 GHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Regards,
JD
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:17 PM »

Hi and Welcome to the Dark Omen Community.

Please locate your Dark Omen folder, such as

C:\Program Files\Dark Omen or C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen

and rename these 2 folders -> PRG_ENG and Save Game to anything like PRG_ENGOrig and Save GameOrig

Then download this goody bag that contains many excellent mods & should allow full 3d mode
New Nov 2015
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dj594ji44uw1gz/Dark%20Omen%20Mods%20Nov%202015.zip?dl=0

Old
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fnnkq89xdjy75m0/DarkOmenMods.zip

The science behind the two Win 7 3d fixes are mentioned in the above posts but a quick summary = ddraw.dll is pasted into PRG_ENG or you can ->

"To play 3D-mode on Win7 in windowed mode... ( with no ForceDirectDrawEmulation of course )

Enable the "Run in 640 x 480 Screen Resolution" on the compatibility tab to have a fullscreen window".

On Win8:
Win8 also has an option to reduce the display to 16-bit color on the compatibility tab"

The download contains both ways = EngRel.exe that uses ddraw.dll and EngRel3d.exe that has already been hex edited but you will need to set desktop to 16bit color and Enable the "Run in 640 x 480 Screen Resolution" on the compatibility tab to have a fullscreen window and remember to actually set Dark Omen's in game Options to use the 3d setting.

Then after playing all the new mods like the alternate campaigns, you can then join us online using Game Ranger

http://forum.dark-omen.org/multiplayer/gameranger-a-new-place-to-play-dark-omen-online-t157.0.html

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:08:54 PM by olly » Logged

mattressses
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

First of all, aqrit, I don't think enough thanks can be given for figuring this one out. Working 3D mode in DO is the realisation of a decade-long dream for me and many, I think.

However, I'm having some issues getting this working under WinXP and I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction. For some reason, Setup.exe wouldn't launch for me (I remember having this problem with XP years ago and I suspect it has something to do with ntvdm not being able to deal with 16-bit installshield files), so I've had to use a pre-packaged install that came with the intro crash fixes.
I've edited EngRel to use windowed mode, and that all works fine, but 3D mode isn't selectable (greyed-out). I can force it using tshoot.exe but that just results in none of the 3D elements rendering (everything but UI is black).

This is particularly frustrating me because I had just installed WinXP on an old laptop a few weeks ago and had gotten the game installed and working in 3D mode with no problems, but my housemate's cat has just rendered that laptop unusable!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »

Your download version is corrupted if it can not install on XP and the intro crash fix sets the registry, so you can't change to 3d in game. Totally agree, what a legend aqrit is but sadly it doesn't work for XP, at least on all the systems I tested but installing Win 7 on same pc hardware thankfully worked.

Smiley

Shauky
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »

Hey everyone,

I also enjoy playing DO from time to time (and I now even have the ambitious idea of creating a DO-themed Empire army for the tabletop Warhammer game).

I've managed to install DO on Win8, and I got it working fine. Then, suddenly, I couldn't play the game anymore. I still don't know why, probably my own fault. I did remove some software I didn't need anymore, it's possible I deleted something I did need. And that was after at least a week of trying and browsing this forum until I found this thread (I even had a go at a virtual Windows XP and 98 environment, I wanted it badly :-)).

So, now I've completely removed all files, reinstalled the game, ran the crashfix and copied the files from the 'goody bag' Olly recommends. I've tried a few things, and I can get the game to work now if I choose the EngRelNo3d exe file. However, now I'm suddenly missing the cutscenes (it doens't matter if I have the CD in or not). Did I miss anything? I can't even access the cutscenes using cheatcodes like 'welcome' in the start scene (other cheats work fine, I tried that). Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to view them?

Thanks ahead!

***Edit***
Al right, think first, ask questions later... Turned out all I needed to do was to copy the directory with the movies into the Dark Omen folder in Program Files. Sorry for clogging up the boards. Still don't know why this didn't install (I'm sure I selected maximum installation).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:12:03 PM by Shauky » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »

Cool, hope to you see you online with GameRanger soon!

Smiley

Shauky
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »

Well, I'm quite busy, so I won't promise anything, but perhaps I'll give it a shot somedays.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »

my new PC can actually run Dark Omen in Full 3d mode, using an Nvidia Titan on Windows 8.1 using Aqrit's excellent fix that would originally allow it to run in CPU mode! His EngRel.exe is hex edited and I can tick run in 16bit colours and in 640x480 screen resolution and as Administrator on the Properties -> Compatibility Tab by right clicking the Icon.

Then download this goody bag that contains many excellent mods & should allow full 3d mode

http://www.mediafire.com/download/17j7dcb1k4adi7z/DOGR3dArmyFix.zip

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:24:39 PM by olly » Logged

Bckh4
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »

Something seems to be wrong with the flipping chain...

In 3D mode every other frame is blank.
On win8 it looks like every other frame has the wrong color-depth.
Alt+Tab'ing away and coming back ( on the main menu ) causes Flip() to start failing with a "ran out of memory" result.

I assume the back buffer has a z-buffer attached, is set as the rendering target of d3d, etc.

To get 3D-mode working we can just change the Flip() call to a Blt()
Which costs vsync and still has issues when alt+tabbing away

The lazy man's way of not having a flipping chain is to enable the "debug" windowed mode.
Windowed mode can not have the primary surface as part of a flipping chain.
( so it will use Blt instead of Flip )

To play 3D-mode on Win7 in windowed mode... ( with no ForceDirectDrawEmulation of course )

Enable the "Run in 640 x 480 Screen Resolution" on the compatibility tab to have a fullscreen window.

On Win8:
Win8 also has an option to reduce the display to 16-bit color on the compatibility tab

Hi Agrit...
Could you please show the exact way to type in the commands using the hex editor...maybe an example...
I have been trying to get D.O. to work on my Asus gaming laptop (nvidia 740) for three days on Windows 8.1 with no luck...
No matter what I try I'm still getting graphics tearing and flicker after I pick campaign in the game menu
Any help would be appreciated..bckh4 I tried all the registry fixes no luck
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »

Aqrit states "To play 3D-mode on Win7/Win8 hex-edit the english version of EngRel.Exe, write 0x00 at file offset: 0x000BD0A8  

Just incase here are my unmodified NVidia settings for Black Edition Titan on Win8.1 (4930k i7 processor)

(Try manually disabling the Vertical Sync perhaps)

Or you could just download a premade one from my goody bag post above ->

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:33:48 PM by olly » Logged

Bckh4
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »

Aqrit states "To play 3D-mode on Win7/Win8 hex-edit the english version of EngRel.Exe, write 0x00 at file offset: 0x000BD0A8  

Just incase here are my unmodified NVidia settings for Black Edition Titan on Win8.1 (4930k i7 processor)

(Try manually disabling the Vertical Sync perhaps)

Or you could just download a premade one from my goody bag post above ->

Smiley

Thank u my friend...you are indeed awesome... working good thank god I found you..LOL
Bckh4
Outmind
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »

Greetings fellow Dark Omen lovers!

The urge to play a warhammer game hit me a couple of days ago and i tried to give shadow of the horned rat a go. Since its pc interface is extremely clunky and the psx version is nigh unplayable on an emulator without input from the mouse, I decided it was time to go back to Dark Omen once more. Browsing the internet i even discovered that you guys had some amazing sounding new campaigns and army options, and, more importantly, a fix for the 3d version of the game.

Here is why I've decided to write in this topic specifically. In short I can't get the 3d version of the game to work. I've installed the game from an iso, copied and replaced the exe and savegame folders, added the d3d.dll file and the modded engrel files first from the "darkOmenMods" pack and then when that didn't work from the "dogr3darmyfix" pack.

Nothing works - the game runs fine in 16 bit 640x480, but i can't set the 3d in the options, it is grayed out. In and of itself this isn't that big of an issue, but I'd really like to play the 3d mode as I've played it this cpu rendering  way a few years ago and found the game looked lackluster without it, especially the mission under Karstein's castle.

I have windows 7 64 bit and an ati radeon hd 3870 video card if that makes any difference. Any and all help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:42:07 PM by Outmind » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: