March 29, 2024, 08:15:49 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2 discs?  (Read 6475 times)
JohnnyB
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »

Hello everybody,

I have got seriously close to getting Dark Omen up and running between me and my flatmate through Hamachi. However as soon as the battlefield screen loads all we get is a black screen except for the command buttons in the bottom right of the screen and the little red arrow you press to commence battle. I will point out that we have only been using one disc between us, ie. one of us loading up and creating a session then removing the disc so the other can load the game and then join. It may seem like a stupid question but do you think the session is crashing at the last moment due to one PC being without the disc?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks!
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »

No I dont think so.

However to be sure get the no cd patch, i wont post a link here but it is really easy to find.

Some questions: Can you click and start the battles?  If so its likely to be a gfxs issue, or a issue with the map, go to options start with the lowest gfx setting and work up.

If you can't start the battle then the most likely cause is a firewall issue or directplay helper issue.  You need to let both Engrel.exe and dplaysvr.exe.

Also:
Microsoft DirectPlay Helper/Data Execution Prevention

That can easily be fixed by Ctrl Panel-->System--> Advanced->Performance Settings --->Data execution prevention and create an exemption for the programs - dplaysvr.exe is located in Windows/system32

If that still doesn't work there's: http://wiki.dark-omen.org/do/DO/Ultimate_Multiplayer_Connection_Fixes

Or finally use gameranger.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:57:50 PM by Darkmancer » Logged

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »

im not sure how current politics works for the "new" DO site, but ill give a try:

JohnnyB: i heard there is some site of a badass pirates which stoles money from the poor game designers. if you see this link, dont support and don't enter that site:
http://thepiratebay.org/

P.S. does singleplayer works fine for you both? otherwise it seems like a graphic bug.
also i had tht issue while we had diffirient map versions.
latets map patch is there
http://en.dark-omen.org/downloads/view-details/2.-modifications/1.-maps/map-patch.html

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
JohnnyB
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »

Hey guys thankyou kindly for your help. It sounds like a graphics bug maybe as I can start the battles and then it just chokes. Will eliminate all the possibilities and hopefully sort it out. Thanks again!
JohnnyB
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »

So thanks again for your help, I set my flatmate's graphics settings to the lowest resolution and we have since played a few games successfully. Unfortunately though the success was short lived as his computer crashes randomly sometimes after 10 minutes or more or sometimes less with that old chestnut - Engrel.exe error. I am familiar with this error from scanning these forums but not quite sure how to fix it - reinstall? He is using XP and the game loads up fine normally as long as the intro is skipped.
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »

Does it crash randomly during single player? Has he any mods installed?

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
JohnnyB
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

Hi Darkmancer, he originally played the singleplayer campaign through a virtual PC setup without the disc which was fine. I just tried singleplayer mode with the actual installaion and disc on his PC and it crashes as soon as you try to initiate a new game so there is definetly a problem with his setup! I have to say his computer is pretty old and creaky which can't help...though it's just strange it works for a while in multiplayer but then crashes. Suggestions? A new computer? ;-)

Thanks
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »

Sounds like your installation is corrupted now, after all your attemtps to get it working, I find the same when I'm testing 3D Dark Omen, the switching between CPU and 3D modes eventually degrade the game so i can't even start a game. So I simply uninstall Dark Omen, reboot pc and reinstall but crucially run the Intro crash fix before starting up the game, for the first time. Start the Game and skip the Intro and then check options for CPU and No to Coloured Cursors and test the Tutorial or Mission 1 and Alt Tab if the screen flickers or map is Black.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
JohnnyB
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »

Thanks Olly, will give it a bash. All this effort over a 12 year old game eh? Still awesome despite it's age!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: