April 19, 2024, 09:42:00 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Advice appreciated for a 5000/15 O&G army  (Read 4136 times)
Gronx
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »

Greetings and salutations to you all.

I'm quite new to this online DO thing, and since I have a quite competative nature (I play the game for fun mostly of course, but I still do my best to win Wink )

So, was wondering about how to build a proper O&G army.

My thoughts from a newbie perspective:

I'd like a lobba, it's quite strong, and I like the whole anticipating where enemy units are going to move thing. This also gives me a tool to deal with other people's "hard" regiments.

A shaman since.. magic is fun, so in it goes. The question is then, book, wand of jet or nothing? I find myself running out of points quite fast, most people seem to take the book, but was wondering if the wand might be worth it for spamming 2 mana cost spells? Can I get by with just the basic O&G spell if I'm unlucky with the other spell?

Then, monsters. In mirror matches and against UD they seem like a rather nice option, so is 1 scorp 1 spider a hopeless waste of points, or might they be worth it, just to stick on the flanks and force the opponent to deal with them, before they end up in the flank of something juicy. So, worth it or not?

Big'Uns with defiance seems like a pretty sure bet, so I have at least some solid centerline unit, letting the swarm devour the opponent while the Big'Uns holds the opponent.

Then, the points seems to have been used, above units is something like 4+3+1+1+2, leaving 4 points for an "army". Now, here's the problem, should i go get that magical sword and cut something somewhere else? Or can I go something like boyz/boyz/NG's w. fanatics/NG archers?

Comments and suggestion are more than welcome Smiley

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »

ok sir seems likу i played with you few times and from what i seen for your Orcs and goblins army - you're usign too many artifacts for them.

first of all, its not definately that items really cost 1 pts, casue its average "cost"

for example, banner of antimagic will be useless if enemy doest have mage and shield of ptolos also will be uselss if archers doesnt shoot you. and it very sad to see your warriors flee holding magic sword. and so on.

as for O&G army it becomes much more important cause real strenght of OG is a masses.
yes, you got it right, OG doesnt have superior units, thus means you have to use as many units as you have to crush. the best OG unit is possibly a bigun so its definately should be in your army. its a core of army so i advice always have 2 of them (at least for begginer).

lobber also good but it depends of the map and enemy army a lot. sometime "tricky" player wouldnt attack you and get their army away from the range of you lobber and then you waste 4 pts.
from other way i seem such tactic kinda "unfair" but its a subject of another topic.

as for shaman its depends of the character of your army. GO shaman doesnt really much attacking unit it much more supporting one. so if you gonna charge maybe its better to have more regiments.

i dont see big use of lunatics cause they're moving randomly and i dont very like to see luck in my games.

as for single monsters like troll i dont see how to use them, cause they're too expensive at points from my view. i dont like to invest 2 points to the regiment which will almost always loose to the similar 2pts regiment and not rarely loose to 1pts regiment. from other way they fast and hard to hit by arrows/mortair and since there is only 1 unit you may avoid some big troops and kill mage or block archers but i dotn still liek it much.

for the rest use your logic & experince; hope you got main idea

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Gronx
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »

Thanks a lot for the advice, I had missed the "rear charge wraiths to break them" post for some reason, so I guess I'll run it without magic items, aside from defiance on big'uns.

Are Big'Uns really better than, say, 2 units of regular boyz?

The 2 point trolls are expensive, aye, which was why I'm considering a 1 point scorp and a 1 point spider, to try to hunt the archers, mages and artillery.

Playing with no mage gives me a few options, are Arrer boyz worth it? I'm thinking something like:

4 points lobba

3 points Big'Uns w. defiance

2 points Big'Uns

2 point arrer boyz

1 point scorpion

1 point spider

1 point NG archer

1 point boyz

(haven't done the gold calculation yet)

Might this work? And, what can be improved Wink
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:11:51 PM »

seems ok. maybe 2 arrer boys also ok.  why do u want NG archers instead of NG?

anyway its a good start and after u train with that then u be able to make yoru owrn armies.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
WarpGhost
Ghoul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »

Are Big'Uns really better than, say, 2 units of regular boyz?
Big Uns are better fighters but they are exactly the same in durability and morale. So it somewhat depends on your intent for the troops as to which is better; having twice as many warm bodies or having good fighters. The same goes for Arrer boys, except that their combat prowess advantage is in having a ranged attack. Obviously, this is only a consideration so long as Orc Boys cost 1 point; between a 3rd boy unit or a unit of Arrers/Big Uns, then the latter wins out, gold permitting.

Death is its own reward, but so is chocolate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: