March 29, 2024, 03:02:22 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Banners  (Read 3849 times)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:52:33 AM »

Whilst doing some recent tests I remembered that when I have mutiple units of the same kind, the banners become numbered 1-10. We would all agree that this is yet another fine detail of Dark Omen at work but I noticed that when a unit cried out for Help it was impossible to know which, as the 3d Portrait didn't have a number to represent the unit to go to. This was my initial reaction and so I'm not sure if there is another way to tell (I checked the map) and also no specific banner would flash as a warning.

Therefore I think these considerations would enhance any RTT but I do appreciate the particular
circumstances that it becomes beneficial but  increases with larger amounts of Battlefield Troops.

Smiley

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:00:04 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:52:33 PM »

As I seemingly always start my posts with these days, "I have in fact thought about that": In the testing framework I've implemented support for flashing icons. The thought is that the unit icon (banner) could be cycled with indicators for non-ordinary status afflicting the unit, f.i. receiving fire, being engaged, being close to breaking, etc.

The drawback of this is information overload, or that cycling leads to information actually not being available at-a-glance, or to many Christmas lights distracting you from the game. So another option might be to add more indicators than just the banner to the unit icon widget. Dark Omen already does this with the heading arrow, the faction and hidden colour frames, and the rout flag.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: