March 28, 2024, 06:04:09 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Inspiration thread  (Read 13212 times)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »

Post your ideas, suggestions and other inspiration for the WARTBED project.

This is an screenshot from an alpha of Empire: Total War, it captures a lot of what I'm aiming for:

DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:02 AM »

My god  Shocked. Looking that screen mades me remember the first time i saw i pic of the Lord of the Rings first movie

* lord-of-the-rings-matte.jpg (34.22 KB. 400x300 - viewed 1175 times.)

it was just like WOW Shocked! what a poor imagination i had compare to how i imagine Rivendel all this years  Embarrassed.

Well back to the point, if the WARTBED reaches that level of graphics, all i can say is that its really fine for me  Cheesy haha. Sorry i can't colaborate with new ideas, Go for it Developers! Cool

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »

Well, I can't say that WARTBED will look that good (they have millions of EA dollars and a full staff of excellent artists), but it will look OK. The main point of WARTBED will always be gameplay over looks. Some people become sad pandas when graphics isn't first priority, but then, I've wanted to kick a panda since Tekken III.

However, there are a few tricks, at least initially, that will be pulled to create a good presentation. First, view distance will be quite far out. I've never ever zoomed in near in any Total War game, not in DO or even (shudders) MoC. It brings nothing tactically and doesn't really contribute anything to the gameplay of tactical wargames (if you need to zoom in to remain entertained while the game plays itself there is something seriously wrong with the game design to start with).

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »

Camera zooming and ratation makes some fights in my (youtube) videos more interesting Wink.
But for normal gameplay the camera should be really far away (I always zoom out the max) ^^

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »

I agree, Zooming into a battle is a Luxury that can only be afforded when the Battle is practically won!

I found exactly this in Rome Total War etc and Dark Omen and I tend to utilise the Banner Icons more.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »

When i use a mage and have some regiments in cc, i always zoom in to snipe with fireballs etc. but....who cares the graphic? Tongue

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:27:17 PM »

As long as the players accept that things may not look as good as AAA games when zoomed in I see no reason to prohibit players that wish to from zooming in near. However, it is that close-up level which is utterly useless in tactical gameplay that consume the most GFX development resources, and that is why I make no promises whatsoever about the visual quality of close-ups :)

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 03:59:49 AM »

Here's a screenshot from another RTT game, Takeda III, just released. I like it because it while not using very advanced means it is still evocative. And that means that it IS possible to make a nice enough looking game without multimillion budgets.

lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »

can i ask,, i still dont uinderstand one thiungs, besides the map, the units will be 3d grapchis o 2d, like dark omen, but better engine or a better engine with building, units and maps in 3d

ito maquiesves
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:34:03 PM »

The engine being developed will handle both 2D sprites and 3D models. So all Dark Omen data can be imported, and kept or over time replaced with 3D models.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: