March 28, 2024, 08:37:25 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can we help more?  (Read 2742 times)
Yoji
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »

It seems like many user issues are because people are not using a UK CD version of game.
You tell them this.. but dont help them get the right CD.
I presumed this is for copyright reasons.. but it looks like the game is abandonware? i.e.
*Link removed to illegal website*
So cant you dump a UK CD image somewhere.. and include details in your guide? so people can use the right CD and have a better chance of not messing up?
I have an original UK CD/DVD of the game.. so could probably provide an img of it (assuming it has no cunning copy protection on it).
What you think?
Cheers

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:14:47 AM by olly » Logged
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 02:10:07 AM »

GoG.com is selling the other three games from the SSI warhammer pack.
EA is still a thing.
"Abandon ware" isn't a thing.

Dark Omen doesn't have a fancy DRM just a CD check.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:32:50 AM »

Yoji, nice intent but you are incorrect, since it is a common misconception but Aqrit is right. You also don't know what I privately message

* Message Dark Omen 2.jpg (25.86 KB. 1038x114 - viewed 447 times.)

I've actually been in contact with EA California archivists and Games Workshop and put both in contact with each other. EA own the code and Games Workshop own the art and designs, as I traced the person who worked for Mindscape/EA and signed the deal with Games Workshop back in the late 1990's and therefore states EA do legally own the source code.

Unfortunately Covid 19 occurred and I don't think Games Workshop have been able to progress it any further with EA. However, the person I am speaking with at Games Workshop, is in charge of bringing old titles to GOG, so if and when EA agree, then they will legally be able to allow GOG to sell it.

It costs me money to host this site along with paying for its domain name and I dedicate a lot of my time for free, to help all fans in any way I can to enjoy the game. Since making any money from Dark Omen via adverts or donations would also be illegal.

Smiley

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:06:47 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Yoji
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:36 PM »

OK- thanks for the clarification.
and good luck with your activities Smiley
Gui
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 01:21:09 PM »

Hello there, I just registered and  I am very much looking forward to play a dear game of my teen years.
However I undertand that to benefit from the improvements and new campaign one needs the UK CD right ? I do not have a physical copy of it, and there is no obvious way to get around this, correct again ?

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 06:30:02 PM »

Welcome, please check your messages.

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: