March 28, 2024, 06:11:58 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is anyone here into the Warhammer games for PC?  (Read 2022 times)
baiselmareo6
Troll

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2020, 07:54:06 AM »

I'm an avid tabletop wargamer, but rather new to the world of PC gaming. I'm interested in what everyone's thoughts on some of the Warhammer games are. Are they a decent tactical simulation of the tabletop version or are most of them totally different? I'd love to hear from folks who've played them, as I plan to pick up either Dawn of War III or Space Marine (it's an older title, but sounds amazing) soon. Thanks for any input!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:09:58 PM »

Hi and welcome, good topic of discussion

http://forum.dark-omen.org/tactical-wargaming-and-other-warhammer-games-b24.0/

I loved Dawn of War 1 (best intro ever) and 2 and even extracted all the 3D models as planned to create a Dark Omen mod one day. I've played Warhammer Total War 1 which is good but I do prefer Dark Omen for the true table top multiplayer experience. Space Marine looks awesome.

Smiley

* Screenshot 2015-04-04 11.10.09.png (592.13 KB. 1024x768 - viewed 420 times.)

* SpaceMarine.jpg (132.32 KB. 640x479 - viewed 330 times.)

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 01:55:55 AM »

I haven't played any of the newer warhammer games... but here is a look back at some old titles...

Space Marine: is a good reskin of (I assume) Gears of War. Fun to speed through -- once.

Mark of Chaos: Battle didn't feel like warhammer, units can move thru enemy units. Human campaign was pretty tired.

Shadow of the Horned Rat - someone poured their soul into this game but it is fairly unpolished. Magic in particular is underwhelming. Very hard to live all the way thru to the end. (much better story than Dark Omen, in my opinion. IIRC, "friendly smart AI" is good here but is sorely missed in Dark Omen)

Blood Bowl (1995) - fun game w/bad DOS graphics.

Blood Bowl (2009) - very good. Commentary gets very repetitive. Surprisingly bad frames-per-second, maybe this was fixed in BloodBowl 2? I didn’t like the way Cyanide treated their customers & modders.

Final Liberation – surprisingly fun for a such a simple game! Amusingly, the difficulty starts hard then gradually progresses to very easy as you move thru the game.   

Chaos Gate - I couldn't really get into this game... fun sound track though.

Space Hulk: vengeance of the blood angels - bought the 3DO version by mistake; never played it :-/

Dawn of War - got all 6? 8? games on sale for like $5. I think I played all the way thru the original but I don’t remember it to well. I just re-downloaded them on Steam but it looks like they don't work out-of-the-box on Linux.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 08:37:55 PM »

Final Liberation is still my favourite turn based game, with X-Com Apocalypse. Chaos Gate wasn't as good but still fun to play.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: