April 18, 2024, 09:16:08 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Omen doesn't play movies  (Read 6469 times)
mopk
Troll

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:00:35 AM »

Hello!

I've installed the game as described at:
http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

Awesome work you do here!
Thanks!

I passed the tutorial.
But I can't see the intro movie & the 1st campaign movie within the game.

Searched through the forum for problems with movies but unable to find any topic related directly to my problem.

OS used is Windows 7 x64.

Does everyone experience dark screen on Win7 when the intro movie & the 1st campaign movie are supposed to playback?
Or is this bug a well known one & has an appropriate fix?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 01:22:16 AM »

Hi and welcome, either you didn't do Step 5 of the guide

5) Copy the Movies folder from your Dark Omen Cd and paste into your newly installed Dark Omen folder...

or your registry (Start -> Run -> Regedit) isn't pointing to the correct location -> so you could try downloading the registry settings found within the guide ->

Windows 64bit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmpmms9wph6jshh/DO_Win64bitReg.zip?dl=0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen\1.0\paths]
"MOVIES"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dark Omen\\MOVIES"

Please let us know how you get on, thanks

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
mopk
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:48:34 AM »

I made the both actions you mentioned (copied movies folder from the CD to the game installation directory & verified the registry key) before posted this topic.
So I'm looking for some other possible fix overlooked by me.

Also it should be noted that I can hear sounds of movies while the screen is black.
(Or are movies & soundtrack of these movies (speech) separated into different folders/files & are played back separately? It's hard to believe it can be so.)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »

Thanks for confirming but please post a picture of your registry and search for Dark Omen elsewhere in the registry (virtual store if Setup.exe was Run As Administrator)

* DORegWin764bit.jpg (92.18 KB. 608x438 - viewed 761 times.)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:42:54 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
mopk
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »

I've made Dark Omen movies to play in-game.

Here how I have done this:
My HP 635 laptop has a fresh Win7 x64 installation without many official manufacturer drivers for laptop's devices.
So I've installed AMD High-Definition graphics driver on the laptop.
The driver version is 8.861.1.2000 2011-11-18 from support.hp.com (the latest available driver for my laptop & OS) to be exact.
I've restarted the OS & now movies play.
(With AMD High-Definition graphics driver installed but without an OS restart movies don't play.)

Maybe the next info would be useful for someone (I am not sure).
For those who curios here's my registry screenshots (the one requested & the another one of other Dark Omen registry records found by olly's advice).
The 2nd screenshot shows HKCU (HKEY current user) for Dark Omen pathes.
It's clear that while HKLM contains fixed path for movies, but HKCU contains 'incorrect' path for movies (g:\darkomen\movies). G is the drive letter for my Daemon Tools virtual CD-ROM drive where I mounted 'Warhammer - Dark Omen' disk image (*.bin + *.cue) & from where I installed 'Dark Omen' to my system.

I don't know if HKCU Dark Omen registry records interfer with those correct ones of HKLM, but all in all now movies play.
It worth to note that Dark Omen CD-ROM image is still in G virtual drive also.
So I am not sure which registry records are used actually.
I suppose your modified (fixed) EngRel.exe uses HKLM records only actually. (I use your version of EngRel.exe.)
Otherwise it's unclear why one should modify HKLM in accordance with 'Ultimate Dark Omen fix forum guide' ( http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html ) and the guide has nothing to say about modification of HKCU also.

* DO_reg_paths_on_my_WinX64.png (58.89 KB, 853x559 - viewed 719 times.)

* DO_HKCU_reg_paths_on_my_WinX64.png (59.41 KB, 727x559 - viewed 760 times.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:05:25 PM by mopk » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 12:24:10 AM »

So it had installed to some registry settings to virtual store as predicated. Unfortunately you fall under the Guide section that says ->

"If Dark Omen still doesn't work it means that u don't have an original Dark Omen installation CD, so buy one (ebay has loads) and DO NOT use corrupted download versions that say for Win7/Win8/Win10, as they do not work and the game hasn't installed the correct registry settings"

We don't support illegal/legal disk image downloads and only install using original CD's which is why the Help Guide doesn't offer any advice on using them. Therefore we can't guarantee our Mods will work either but glad you got it working. Can the image simply be extracted/converted back into a normal CD/folder, to then be used to install normally and never require Daemon Tools G:\
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:11:33 AM by olly » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: