April 18, 2024, 09:23:42 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Getting started.  (Read 25200 times)
dreadfell
Night Goblin

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »

Follow our help fix guide for Vista, Win7,8.1/10

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello all!

I am excited to again start experiencing the rich world that is Warhammer:]
 I have fond memories with this particular site as well(has anyone heard from Lordy?). So I have a copy of DO coming from ebay(8 bucks)and was looking for a guide to start installing and upgrading to the new mods.

My suggestion is, a link with the title "new? start here"or some such thing that leads to steps from installing the original game(for a particular OS)to how to handle the MODS. I have writtem quite a few KB articles for my work, but dont have the knowledge as of now to pen it down. Anyways, thanks for hearing me out and I cant wait to get started!!!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:23:26 PM by olly » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:28:58 PM »

Welcome back Dreadfell (thanks again for all those great Shadow of the Horned Rat youtube vids!)

As previously mentioned - yes there is a modder's guide coming asap that I'm working on and a new install guide (thanks to new and better tools etc..)

However, please just follow this installation help guide to begin with ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7-game-fixes-t111.0.html

and then add the Mod selector after you have the game working ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/tools/mod-selector-t1118.0.html

Smiley

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:49:34 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
dreadfell
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »

Great info! I am going to be gaming soon with those links. Thanks again:]
dreadfell
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »

Well, im not uneducated in tweaking/installing software, but those instructions will be challenging. Looking forward to the challemge.
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:57:32 PM »

Any idea if Dreadfell succeeded? Why I am anxious about it is because idea to make DarkOmen installation less user-unfriendly gnaws me Smiley
It is inability or unwillingness to look through numerous instructions, make unsuccessful attempts to install etc etc what drives people away.
Recently I had my own experience.
1. I received list of Olly's instructions: download this there, download that there, get this crashfix, set those settings to that etc.
2. I tried to do step by step. It did not work.
3. Olly used Teamviewer to check my installation. It is not every time this can be done, and not everyone will even ask for such help.
4. Olly spent quite a while, changing things here and there, updating register, removing stuff from register.
5. Finally it worked. But will anyone else be as patient as me?

I dream about having a Win7-Installer, Win8-Intaller. You choose, download, run, and have everything set up and ready to go, with all known Mods out there in the installation files.
I am sure this is doable. And if a programmer is familiar with making such installers (does not matter whether it is a msi or regular execution file), using Olly's instructions he or she could build installer in a way so that installer copied all necessary files including mods, run all crashbug fixes and updated registry properly.
This would be awesome and many people who do not play, would have played DO and its mods again.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »

Dreadfell failed with SOTHR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bo8J9gDfw Cheesy

And you are just all doing it wrong. I always install from my Dark Omen CD Image, download d3drm.dll and enjoy the game.

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »

Yeah my favourite video too Smiley the essense of computer warhammer is in it.

What's so special about your CD image that it automatically runs at any given machine? Even if DO was never installed on it?
In any case, could you add all mods, d3drm.dll to it and share with community? Smiley
I will test it on brand new Win7-8 32-64 bit machines Smiley
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »

You had been able to get an Image, Ghabry?! Which program did you use? I tried it once i think, but it didn't worked...
Nooben
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

I have just found my Dark Omen game Again and I then I found this great Site. Seems like you Guys have put so much Work and countless hours into this- Its amazing.ยด
I have tried to getting the expansions to work- but its beyond me Sad
Are you Guys planing a "press this button for win 7 and the Whole Things just installs and Works" kind of thing ?
Anyway- it all looks great, and this game just still is so enjoyable 20 years Down the line.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »

Hi and Welcome,

yes there is an ultimate mod pack coming soon, containing new Skaven, Dark Elves and Dwarfs (new sprite armies, new 3d Heads and new maps) and youtube installation guides but while you wait there is our old mod pack and fixes ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

1) Install Dark Omen full installation to C:\Program Files\   or   C:\Program Files (x86)\   if you are Windows 64bit and then go to your newly installed Dark Omen folder and rename PRG_ENG and SaveGame folders, to PRG_ENGOrig and SaveGameOrig and download our mod pack, to extract or copy/paste its 3 new folders (Mods,  PRG_ENG and SaveGame) to your Dark Omen folder.  

2) Set your desktop screen resolution to 16bit colour in Windows 7 or for Win 8.1/10 right click on the new EngRel.exe (within the new PRG_ENG folder, that is now in your Dark Omen folder) and set its compatibility to run as Administrator, resolution as 640x480 and 16bit colour.

3) Then start the game by double clicking the new EngRel.exe and go to in game options and turn off coloured cursors and set to CPU mode and start campaign. If all is working successfully you can swap CPU and try 3d mode. Select a new mod from the Main Menu screen, remembering to restart the game to launch the Mod.

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:34:54 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »

Welcome,

another note: do not be upset if you fail to install all that by yourself. Ask more questions, visit irc chat channel (chat.dark-omen.org), Olly or someone else will help you fix all the stuff.
Nooben
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »

Thx Guys- I will give it another shot tonight when the kids are i bed.
Nooben
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 05:56:29 PM »

OMG... It works- this is the end of life as I know it- almost expecting the wife to file for divorce witin weeks....... Smiley

Super manual, It took 3 min.
I cant wait to get in there- I am calling in sick for the rest of the week
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »

Hehe, we always get it working and after you have enjoyed all of our Single player mod campaigns, you can join us for some online multiplayer action via Game Ranger.

Smiley

Nooben
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »

Any ideas to which MOD i should start off with?, is there one there is a bit easy ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: