March 28, 2024, 10:13:15 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chaos Dwarf Invasion  (Read 89638 times)
Lindar
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2021, 09:47:26 PM »

Thanks!
Lindar
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2021, 09:51:44 PM »

But the flag does seem a bit weird, just so you know

* kekflag.png (2890.58 KB. 1920x1078 - viewed 464 times.)

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2021, 11:12:52 PM »

I tested in CPU mode and the banner was small and after loading it into the RDose sprite editor, it was intentionally made like that. The reason is that this was created before xslots and used the original spare banner and sprites slots like bt_zznewplyrbann6.spr which is a basic sprite with only 80 frames and therefore the banner would sit lower and obscure the sprite. Unfortunately there is no original spare slot that is taller like Dread King type sprite. Therefore, it's a clever solution using a tall sprite like a wyvern but in a small sprite type by having a short banner. Thankfully we now have xslots that solves this older issue.

* banner.jpg (178.67 KB. 739x1233 - viewed 432 times.)

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2021, 08:21:50 AM »

Olly is right as usual - The banner is crippled intenionally because it obscured the whole sprite. Those days not only Xslots for banner/sprite customization were not available, but also Shadow of the Horned Rat sprites were not decoded. I made this sprite by getting as far as first Wyvern mission in SoTHR (Playstation emulator for better graphics) and making a video of all its movements from all angles. Then I mounted dwarf lord on the wyvern...

By the way, Chaos Dwarfs will finally find their way into Total War Warhammer as the 3rd 'Eastern' part goes live later this year. It will be an interesting experience. They are as good (if not better) as other dwarves as far as technology advancements, and also they have (unlike conservative dwarves) fast slave cavalry/monsters in their roster.
Grognard16
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2021, 11:33:37 AM »

Yeah. To my mind, Helmgart attack is one of the toughest missions in the campaign. My goal was to make campaign challengins but not 'misson impossible' style. Still, there a few missions left, that are a real challenge. These are where I made several attempts before success (success = no full unit loss) even though I knew all underwater stones:

1. Mission vs ogres in the Forest - the one that goes if you turn down Treeman's request (ogre shaman is a bitch, so are leadbelchers, I even had to reduce their level from 3 to 2)

2. Helmgart attack. Lack of units under your control to calk all the holes. And it is important to keep temporary dwarf unit (11 chaos dwarves) alive till this mission.

3. Sylvania, the vampire mission. Right tactics are needed in order to evade all mortar fire.

4. Snow mission before Kislev, again, enemy artillery and archers are hard to counter.

5. Axebite pass before Emporia/Loren forest. Enemy cavalry is tough, and magic-protection units need to be in right place i n the end.

6. Bogenhafen defence. Just quite a lot of enemy infantry, and flagellants are a tough challenge.

Other missions have their surprizes, but after 2-3 fails while getting acquainted, only bad luck will prevent success.

Hello.

Sylvania made me wanted to stop the campaign.
1) One mortar. Ok. Two. Trouble, but not impossible. Three fast sniping mortars, nah. Half of my units are dead before even going near the...
2) GOD-pyro-mage spamming Conflagration like he hasn't any energy pool. My "deadly" canon is just a joke compared to him, always trying to get a lucky strike on him. And missing 5/6 shots.
3) Unbreakable units. Mortars don't care so they'll just obliterate everyone.
4) Dwarves are just too slow. I finished the Goblins campaign recently, and dodging was really fun. Or making some hit & run.
But this slow general-wizard, don't tell him to climb an hill!

You can't rush mortars. You can't hide. You can't use ranged firing units. You must always move but you must fight also.

Other campaigns i played got a lot of good ideas (Wood Elves), some really challenging, some a little "stay in a corner and wait" but this one mission made me quit. Even Ptolos shield cannot make survived one unit against raining mortar shots. So you need luck. And luck. And put some luck on top of your luck.

That's no strategy, it's charging a great demon with halflings, and hope to made only 6 on each rolls, and he'll only roll 1 on his. (stay in a corner with every units and hope "Polos" unit will survive enough time to finish enemies melee units)

Edit : Finally MADE it. No unit lost, even if only ONE hobgobelin archer survived. The fire-mage stayed behind most of the battle. He was standing still until the end, waiting for a rocket to land on his head.
30+ attempts, bare minimum with some attempts under 30 seconds (one shot mortar)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 12:40:36 PM by Grognard16 » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »

Well done for completing Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
happyman
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2023, 11:37:31 PM »

Hello again!

after playing some of Flak's mods (goblins especially, with three units casting 9 zealots, pure satisfaction), i've played cuthalion's light chaos mod, i didn't find a build on the forum so i'm replying here.

CHAOS LIGHT MOD it's a great mod and different, the chaos warriors units are fantastic and i haven't been afraid to throw them headlong into battle, it's been another way to plan the strategy directly offensive, very funny.
In addition, having a tzeenzch wizard with the knowledge of fire makes everything easier. I recommend the light mod.

The next challenge is Chaos Dwarfs, I'll take my time!
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2023, 11:16:11 PM »

Nice review and helpful for other members, thanks.

Smiley

happyman
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2023, 07:21:41 AM »

Morning!

Finished Chaos dwarfs Mod, the extra phase surprised me so much that I had to play it without saving game haha.

Lets Talk about It; This mod is difficult, but personally I enjoy the difficulty and in particular this game in particular, I played DO on PSX for the first time back in the year 98 and when I was 12 years old, for an entire summer with a borrowed PlayStation WITHOUT A MEMORY CARD, So every time I turned on the game it started at trading post, with no chance to save game, continue even losing units or game over, so I guess I enjoy the difficulty.

First of all add that it gave me the blocking error in the phase in which they give you the Overlord, nothing worrisome because in this same thread is the solution with the Olly's file, thanks.

Regarding the game experience, since I knew in advance that it was difficult, and since in this forum Cuthalion did a summary of units, my strategy would be to only choose 10 units beforehand to maximize their experience. My "roster" was like this: Sorcerer, wolf riders, cannon, scorpions, blunderbusses, obsidian guard, centaurs, gorebulls, overlord, chaos dwarf warriors.

The mechanics of this mod are fun since you have units with various attributes, the scorpions and gorebulls don't really need magic items as they have more than decent attributes, they are good for support charges as well as cannon/bunderbusses defense.

Don't be afraid to throw your commander into battle, he is a wizard but he is tough, he is almost like a vampire but with very short legs.

The ability to have two Magic shields (extra armor) and two storm magic swords as you progress through the game makes the two dwarf units obsidian guard and chaos dwarf warrior shine as primary melee units, coupled with the Overlord's buff spell in Wivern, you get two extremely resistant units, with armor, and at the same time very offensive.

The combination of bunderbusses and cannon together with your commander's magic can annihilate entire units allowing a classic DO defensive strategy (in some phases). To annihilate mages the Bunderbusses are especially practical, in a burst the enemy sorcerer dies, advance or wait and assign the shot to the sorcerer and make sure you have dispel magic in this unit, as soon as it reaches firing range the sorcerer will explode.

Lastly, your fast units are wolves and centaurs, they do fast damage however they are not very resistant so except in support situations I have used them as ranged units Killers.

Final mention for the Chaos Overlord: as soon as I had it, I threw it headfirst into combat and after several deaths that alleviated my thirst for blood from using this fantastic unit, I realized that you have to use it as a support with your magic, and charge the enemy only when is already fighting hand-to-hand to force the enemy to flee in terror and to be able to devastate him while he flees, or in any case to annihilate enemy shooting units.

I Enjoy playing a lot, thanks Cuthalion!!! Next I will try Dwarf mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: