March 28, 2024, 10:28:09 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chaos Dwarf Invasion  (Read 89646 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »

Advanced as far as Trolls mission in the campaign, encountered a crashbug. Somehow, an old version of CTL file was uploaded. Updated download link, here is the fixed file - to be put in dark omen/mods/chaos dwarves/gamedata/1pbat/b3_07/

* B307.CTL (19.24 KB - downloaded 516 times.)

I didnt test the whole mission yet, but at least it starts alright now.

Release Notes
2012/05/26 Crashbug fix in Trolls Mission (B3_07)

* B307.CTL (19.24 KB - downloaded 516 times.)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »

Just gave the campaign a first try and played until reaching defending of Helmgart.
Sometimes the missions become solvable just by the AI behaving stupid and standing around or attacking something that is far away Smiley

In Border Counties (Mission 2) most enemies ignored me and just walked through to leave the battlefield. Like in the original game but usually they attack you when you move in there way but not in the mod. This mission was also far easier then Mission 1.

Grissburg: Poor Flamestrike Sad. The scorpions make the life much easier, a 2nd good close combat unit.

Road to Bogenhafen: The mortars were a bit problematic. My tactic was to move southwards to the hill where the mortar is and to capture this location. Then you can quite easily defend against all remaining enemies. The only anoying problem was the 2nd remaining mortar because he was on the other side of the battlefield...

Bogenhafen: No notes.

Attacking  Helmgart: This was mean in my opiniton. You start the battle and you are directly attacked by a mortar and flagellants. At first I tried to move to the castle but it's not really possible at the beginning, too many units. So my 2nd approach was to move to the southest location of the map (where you start in the original campaign). You need some luck to get through the enemies but after this the mission is quite easy... (if the mortar misses you)

For now I think that the difficulty is good. Some situations are a bit luck based but I managed to finish all batles with ca. 3 attempts.
The main hero is quite useless imo. I dont really want to use him for close combat and the spells are often bad (exception was snow storm on Helmgart to freeze the enemies, otherwise mission would be impossible ^^).
Best unit are by far the wolf riders, fast and strong. Pistoliers are good to route most enemeis before they reach you. Scorpions are also quite nice but slow, rest is, well...
I hope that I will have enough money, I lose around 2000 every battle Sad

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »

Yep the problem with AI is a newly-appeared unit attacks what is visible from the computer perspective, and if they have a few units remaining, they often pick not the best target. it's very often a unit on the other side of the map. And they rarely decide to switch target later, alas.

Second mission - when I first edited it I knew next to nothing of CTL, and it wasnt evident for me how to force them behave better. And in Chaos Dwarf Invasion I had several new missions to work on, so I wasn't going to improve every old mission. Yes you can pass it by not touching the enemies but I always like maximum exp earning Smiley

In Chaos Dwarf Invasion I havent changed unit talks or start positions either. So if talks seem completely out of place, you can imagine a gang of marauding greenskins to figure what I actually meant there Smiley

Not sure if wolfriders are that strong, but probably after they lost 'cowardly' flag they flee less, and as the only cavalry, surely they are most useful. They were the first in my army to strike level 4. No surprise as they often have to deal with enemy archers and artillery.
The sorcerer isn't that good I agree. I use it in the times when he has cloak, blizzard or in case I need to protect another unit. But he's quite tough and isnt killed easily unless he tanks all alone. After he gets level 3 (main exp earn is on 'blizzard' missions) he becomes fat.

There was quite an amount of tough missions at first, but I agree to Kilowic: those who are interested in a tough way can always reduce own army quantity by themselves, while the values I suggest by default are more comforting.
Yep in Helmgart siege the only way is to fight your way backwards and then play it ordinary way with what remained under control.

About money: testing it myself now as I am passing the campaign for the first time, actually Smiley
I had like 18k left after Nagash, but after helping Elrod I still have approx 20k so it should suffice - 7 missions to go.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:58:19 PM by cuthalion » Logged
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »

I agree you, Ghabry Smiley

Road to Bogenhafen is terrifying, especially at the first few tries, but when you get the knack, is nice action  Cheesy contrary to the original campaign where you just shoot everything^^

Attacking Helmgart, I used cannon, pistoliers and Ragnar with Grudgebringer Sword to shoot the incoming Flagellants; in case of melee support by scorpions. Gob Archers dealt with Halberdiers, Wolf Riders with Cavalry and other Halberdiers with sorcerer, supported by scorpions when the 1st 8 Flagellants are dead. With a bit luck, mortar and archers don't shoot you but you shoot Fire Wizard quickly Cheesy rest is cat food because of stun Smiley

Defending Helmgart was quite what-the-***** again...  Smiley When the first wave was defeated, I moved my whole army to the catapult thinking it was the last unit remaining  Grin but all went pretty well Smiley

Sorcerer... well, 1-man-units are always problematic because when they are dead, they are dead and you have to restart the mission Sad but it's ok, and Gaze of Nagash is very cruel  Cool
Hm, my wolf riders suck... routing all the time  Undecided
Pistoliers are definetly cool, but they die quickly when they are under arrow fire Sad

I am at the Great Forest after Kemperbad atm, having approx. 25k Gold left Smiley
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »

Srsly, Sylvania is soo freaking impossible with these idiots...

4 units are not enough to kill 2 in melee, esp. Ghabrys Wolves flee every try...

Edit: Made it after ~13 tries Cheesy

Great Wolves fled with 10/18, left on the battlefield: 2 Pistoliers, 2 Scorpions and only one unit each of all others...  Lips Sealed
2,9k Gold loss Cheesy

Holy Crap WTF IS THIS???!! Wolves with Ptolos - 2 cannon shoots and they were dead xD

Do I miss something by skipping Goblin Camp?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:54:00 PM by hari8 » Logged
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »

I think Ptolos protects only vs area attack - when the shell strikes nearby but not directly, Ptolos gives an extra saving throw or something like that. Direct mortar hit seems to ignore that check.

Goblin camp - well same as in original campaign. It's just 1 more mission to get some fun and train troops better Smiley
Also there is a tiny bonus in this particular one.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »

Defending Helmgart is quite easy if you dont place your units too near to the cliff (so they dont get shot by catapult or archers).
And then just wait and shoot done everything with your range attackers.
Then I had to restart because ghouls were attacking from a location near the castle, killing my cannon...

Axebite Pass was the most problematic part at the beginning. Trying to move southwards to get out of range of the elf archer fire. I hated the 2 Dwarf Slayers at the beginning, they destroyed large parts of my army. But after beating them the mission is easy.
How I killed the archers: Moved with my Mage near them and killed them with spells. The arrows always miss you if you are far away enough and moving.

Empire mission (before Kemperbad). I somehow survived the trap when attacking the black grail (2 chariots + wights) on first try Smiley.

So besides "Attacking Helmgart" the difficulty is fine.

hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »

Smiley

There's a bug with the banner of the new unit in the 1st Loren mission...
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 05:55:15 AM »

There's a bug with the banner of the new unit in the 1st Loren mission...

It's a feature. This unit can't be properly seen if it has a full sized banner.
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 08:32:57 PM »

Blargh, freaking Leadbelchers -.-
Well, I will go on without Zentaures ...

...Wolves still suck. Fled almost every game  Angry Angry

Btw, I have 37k Gold atm, so this should be no problem Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:12:30 PM by hari8 » Logged
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 06:36:04 AM »

Yep gold isn't a problem.

My wolves were the first to gain 4 level. After they do it, they become pretty tough - at least until all enemies are 4 level as well, this won't take place until the last 3 missions.
If you equip them with Banner of Defiance, one of 3 Enchanted Shields and a proper sword, they will be strong and never flee unless you drop the banner.

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »

Another minor fix. After GoreBulls were introduced, another unit deployment zone (in btb file) was missing on missions B4_03, B5_01, B5_01b - in Original Campaign, mission vs Goblins in Brettonia and either of 2 Pyramid missions in the end.

I fixed the btb files and updated the mod download link. If you don't want to download 13Mb again, here are these 3 files - to be placed in corresponding folders in Dark Omen/Mods/Chaos Dwarves/Gamedata/1pbat/...

* B4_03.BTB (9.03 KB - downloaded 449 times.)

* B5_01B.BTB (23.72 KB - downloaded 462 times.)

* B5_01.BTB (9.98 KB - downloaded 463 times.)

Release Notes
2012/05/29 Added deployment zones in missions B4_03, B5_01, B5_01b to the last unit that joins the army.

* B4_03.BTB (9.03 KB - downloaded 449 times.)
* B5_01.BTB (9.98 KB - downloaded 463 times.)
* B5_01B.BTB (23.72 KB - downloaded 462 times.)
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »

My wolves were the first to gain 4 level. After they do it, they become pretty tough - at least until all enemies are 4 level as well, this won't take place until the last 3 missions.
If you equip them with Banner of Defiance, one of 3 Enchanted Shields and a proper sword, they will be strong and never flee unless you drop the banner.

I know, they have almost Full Experience...
...yep, only chance^^
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

Shocked Shocked Please tell me how to allure the Ogre-Wave at Black Pyramids without being shot by the cannons or rather destroy the cannons without getting blasted by fire meteor...
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »

You should use centaurs you had lost a few fights back Wink
j/k
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: