March 29, 2024, 12:05:54 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Omen 2  (Read 169104 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »

However, regarding your issue,  I will have to reinstall DOE2 again and check it out,

Smiley

Played a bit with a Hex Editor. I found it was only possible to change unit names on the battle fields in the EngRel.exe so I probably have out of date installation package, not suitable for this DOE2 campaign...though I downloaded it for my Win7x64 from this very site.

Anyway, I am now trying to understand how to download and place Sprites created by the fans on this forum to create my own campaigns Smiley but it looks as if these sprites overwrite default unit sprites and make the default campaign look ugly.

Also, I know it's an off topic but the forum seems kinda deserted anyway. Are there still any multiplayer tournaments or games going on? I will probably make a complete Newbie in Multiplayr but It would be fun for me ty try my skill.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:09 PM »

Hi, the unit names displayed for the enemies are always the ones defined in EngRel.exe. Their is a field for the unit name in the army file but this is ignored for the enemy unit names (so you can only rename your own units).
Yes the modified files always overwrite original data because all filenames are hardcoded in EngRel.
And don't expect too much from the modded campaigns. They "only" alter the units. The maps and the story is not modified. An exception is Rise of the Dead, this alters the deployment and spawn positions of the units and enemies (but not the map or story). We currently have no map editor ^^.
The forum is currently a bit dead, you are right. The last four years we had much more activity.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 04:22:18 PM »

Your plans for a new campaign will certainly attract more interest to the forums and shame you weren't around during the Christmas holidays to play in Jim's Tournament, that saw around 100 matches being played online and is still on going. We still host our normal monthly Tournaments, although sadly not enough players last month but a few of us are generally on most weekends.

However modding still continues with great results, I've been busy creating our first new Fortress Mod Map that finally sees new armies battling on a new map and although my progress is slow on my own, I hope it will be the first of many, especially if we succeed in creating a height map generator that will speed up the process.

We still have our sights set on creating whole new full campaigns for all the DOE2 sprites/races, that offer more alternate paths and routes to take, battling on new maps. Certainly early modding investigations suggest that it should be possible one day, given enough time and expertise. There are even talk of Dark Omen remake Projects, so we are certainly not dead yet! hehe. I look forward to seeing you on the battlefield soon.

Tournament: Saturday 3rd of March 2012 (5pm GMT 0)

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:35:00 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »

Hi, the unit names displayed for the enemies are always the ones defined in EngRel.exe. Their is a field for the unit name in the army file but this is ignored for the enemy unit names (so you can only rename your own units).
Yes the modified files always overwrite original data because all filenames are hardcoded in EngRel.

Yes so my question was about this: I downloaded DOE2, but it didn't contain updated EngRel.exe with the new names instead of old ones. Thus, when I started new  compaign, I had all new units on the battle fields but they had original Dark Omen Names. Dwarf musketeers or whatever are cool but I hated them being called 'Grudgebringer Crossbows' Smiley

Is there a EngRel.exe with the updated names for DOE2?
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »

And don't expect too much from the modded campaigns. They "only" alter the units.

Yes indeed. But it's more enough to keep oneself attracted for a little more. Anyway, I skip all those portrait dialogues because I know what they say there. But it's fun creating not only new units but creating new unit types and shifting the army balance, making missions harder etc.

Grend

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »

Yes so my question was about this: I downloaded DOE2, but it didn't contain updated EngRel.exe with the new names instead of old ones. Thus, when I started new  compaign, I had all new units on the battle fields but they had original Dark Omen Names. Dwarf musketeers or whatever are cool but I hated them being called 'Grudgebringer Crossbows' Smiley

Is there a EngRel.exe with the updated names for DOE2?
No there is not. I did not know that was even possible Smiley

On vacation
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »

Hehe, it's time you updated your campaign then Smiley
It's easy and I figured it out myself: Just use any text editor (better if it is a hex editor) and overwrite unused names with required ones. The only thing to watch - the length should be exactly the same for any given unit, so you should pick up units with longer names than you want to insert. Otherwise the .exe file is screwed up.
Grend

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »

Hehe, it's time you updated your campaign then Smiley
It's easy and I figured it out myself: Just use any text editor (better if it is a hex editor) and overwrite unused names with required ones. The only thing to watch - the length should be exactly the same for any given unit, so you should pick up units with longer names than you want to insert. Otherwise the .exe file is screwed up.
I never saw that as a big issue so I probably will not do so but feel free to do so if you feel like it Smiley

On vacation
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »

It's truly not a big deal Smiley
Just when I, a newbie, saw this for the first time, I had no idea about all those squig hopper etc Smiley and I was clueless whom I fight, and whom I control Smiley
Seiyojin
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »

Actualy it does bother me a little as well. Could you please tell me where exactly I have to change the names and how? I have to admit Im not really good at this? Any Idea where I can change the pictures that appear in the roster? Or will I have to overwrite the existing one?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »

Hi and welcome, it's a great time to join -

http://forum.dark-omen.org/introduction/great-time-to-join-t696.0.html

Smiley

Use a Hex Editor to examine and alter your DakOmen\PRG\ EngRel.exe
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:10:25 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »

i had long since given up on dark omen because nothing i tried would get it to run after i bought a new graph card.

but a month or so ago i went from windows xp to win 7 and decided to try it again,and it worked!! yayz.

when i visited the site i was very happy to see u guys made a complete mod with the new races,looks great and i am going to test it out.
Dmitry
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »

Hello everyone!
Some feedback about release Smiley
I will speak about singleplayer campaign.
At first - am I right that there is no opportunity to change banners in the book?
If so, should be better not to change banners of regiments either?
Because there is only confusion - one should hardly concentrate and remember what regiment bears what item and so on. So I had to overwrite these banners with original ones (except dwarves with some firepower - it seems that they have something other than the banner of original crossbowmen)
At second - am I the only one who got invisible dwarves in Axebite Pass? )))
They fight, they die, they have banner but they are invisible )))
I tried to write back original sprite, bat it doesn't help because it was not replaced by the Dark Omen Expanded. And original save from Axebite Pass shows normal, visible dwarves... 

That's all for now.
Thank you for this addon Smiley
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »

Hi and welcome, glad you enjoying Dark Omen Expanded, from vague memory I think they maybe Dwarf miners that are underground (invisible)

Smiley

abcdeh
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »

Hi everyone! I grew up playing this game and I've just started getting back into Warhammer so I thought I'd give it a shot.  I was quite surprised to see that not only did people still play this game, but they had made it better! I'm really excited to try to run this later tonight, but I have a few questions.  First of all, do I need to find the physical DO disk to play this version?  Will this run on Windows 7?  Is there any way to play multiplayer with a friend?  Is it difficult to install (said friend needs step by step instructions to install games usually)?  Thanks so much for this, can't wait to start building a lizardmen army!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: