March 28, 2024, 07:26:50 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CONQUESTDAY (Ruleset)  (Read 13149 times)
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »

I had the Mission to create a Conquest which could be started and finished in the same day (reason of its name).
This Ruleset is an option for playing during mid-month -> half way between tourney and tourney.

I removed all "decorations" that distract players from conquering, converting game into quick strategy.
There is no Diplomacy, no Building, no Armies Maintenance/Continuity... all gone (compared to Flak's version).

INTRODUCTION

The World is divided in "Regions" (Map Scenarios). "Domain" means Regions under the control of a Player.
The World size is proportional to the amount of Players -> Each one will always start with 4 Regions.

Objective: Wins the Player with larger Domain at the end of Round 4. In case of draw, Rounds continue until there is a clear Winner. Remember there is NO Diplomacy, so war will be constant in all limits...

When Conquestday begins, Players choose their Domain picking the Regions they want 1 by 1 following a Turn Order.
Once phase is over, we calculate our Initial Gold which is "Domain income x 2".
If you defeat a Faction while expanding, you receive his remaining Gold.

WORLDMAP

Organizer will constantly update the Worldmap through the Rounds -> with a new Round comes a new Map.
Mapmakers can present their designs as Table type (squares model) or Image type (nodes model).
The original Worldmap design must have all Regions in White, and follow the Regions List Code:

[1] Border Counties                      [9] Sylvania                                      [17] Bretonian River
[2] Grissburg Town                      [10] Drakenhoff Castle                         [18] Vingtienne
[3] Road to Bogenhafen               [11] Forest before Kislev                       [19] Random 6 (Loren Forest Holy Shrine)
[4] Random 2 (Bogenhafen Town)  [12] Goblin Camp                                 [20] Loren Lake Balanced
[5] Axebite Pass                         [13] Random 5 (Road to Kislev)              [21] Random 4 (Loren Forest Clearing)
[6] The Empire                           [14] Troll Land Hills                              [22] Random 7 (Road to Mousillon)
[7] Great Forest at Night              [15] Random 9 (Bazin of Frozen Blood)    [23] Town of the Dead
[8] Random 1 (Great Forest)         [16] Random 8 (Return to Axebite Pass)  [24] Black Pyramid Sideways

Each Region gives an amount of Gold at the beginning of Round equal to its "square/node connections".
1 connection: 1000gc     2 connections: 2000gc     3 connections: 3000gc     4 connections: 4000gc

TURNS

All Players use a Chat-Room to declare their actions, following an Order that changes each time a new Round starts.
1st Position is rotative: the person who was first becomes the last... and so on.

When a new Round begins, all Players gain Gold according their current Domains and the Chat starts: Factions can Declare Attacks or Pass Turn. The Regions under attack can be defended or given free.

A Region can only declare 1 attack per Turn -> Players must specify from where will the attacks come from.
Attack declarations are automatically nulled if the "declaring Region" is conquered by another Player.

In case of multi-declarations against 1 Region/between 2 Regions, Battles are played following the Turn Order.
When declaring Attacks, the Player must be able to pay for it with his Gold reserves, using 3k Army as minimum.

BATTLES

When 2 players are going to fight to resolve the control of a Region... it doesnt matter who hosts.
Attacker declares his Army Size first (from 3k to 9k). After that, Defender tells him his Army Size choice.
Once Battle finishes, we write Results in the Chat-Room and calculate how much Gold subtract from Treasuries.

Don’t play lame: A Player is lame when abuses certain tactics, doing them often to win a Battle.
1) "Hit & Run": Attacking and going back all time with Fast Ranged or Wizards (Teleport included).
2) "Camp & Fire": Shooting with artillery from a corner all time and never move your Army.

Wizard Survival: If he survives to the Battle you gain back +2000gc, so your Gold doesnt drain too fast.
For balancing reasons, they cant engage other Wizards in close combat.

ARMIES

This section depends on the MOD that will be played. I will write about a division of Factions inside Fair Omen.
Before starting a Conquestday, Players choose their Faction and elaborate 4 Base Armies (1 with 3k-5k-7k-9k).
All Armies must have 1 Wizard, and cant have more than 4 Regiments of same type.
You can create later during event more Armies to replace any of your Initial ones.

Alliance                   Mercenaries           Goblins                Orcs                  Dynasty               Bloodlines

Ice Mage                  Bright Wizard           Goblin Shaman       Orc Shaman         Necromancer          Vampire
Imperial Cannon         Imperial Cannon        Orc Bolt Thrower   Orc Bolt Thrower   Skull Catapult         Skull Catapult
Imperial Mortar          Imperial Mortar         Orc Rock Lobber    Orc Rock Lobber    Zombies                 Zombies
Imperial Greatswords  Mercenary Ogres       Goblin Infantry      Orc Boyz             Skeleton Warriors     Ghouls
Imperial Halberdiers    Mercenary Infantry    Goblin Infantry+F   Orc Big'uns          Skeleton Archers      Wights
Imperial Archers        Mercenary Xbowmen  Goblin Archers       Orc Archers         Skeleton Horsemen   Wraiths
White Grail               Mercenary Cavalry     Goblin Archers+F   Orc Boar Boyz       Mummies                Black Grail
Elf Glade Guards        Dwarf Warriors          Spiders                Trolls                   
Elf Archers               Outlaw Pistoliers        Scorpions                                      Skabskrath             Skabskrath
Treeman                  Flagellants                                         Mork's Banner        List 1                    List 2
                                                           Mork's Banner        List 2                                   
Runefang                 Runefang                  List 1                   
List 1                      List 2

Item List 1: Wand, Osiris, Wrath, Spelleater, Enchanted, Storm, Potion, Urgok
Item List 2: Book, Arcane, Defiance, Ptolos, Dragonhelm, Hellfire, Grudgebringer, Heart
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:35:31 PM by olly » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:04 AM »

Sounds good and we appreciate the effort. Sign me up please!

Although, since there are more current players, I would like to keep the regular Tournament slot and have Conquest held on a different time, to help us all meet up online more. 

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Zoko
Night Goblin Archer

wyciwyg://119/http://shade-of-nekura.deviantart.co

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »

Nice, ill be on board too.
JB87
Orc Boy

Professional Monster Hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

I like the rule set alot. reminds me of risk! declaring attacks over IRC is a great suggestion Jeronimo. It will really help keep the game alive.

here is a Conquest map to Replicate Jeronimos rule set across all of old world. I added two extra nodes and broke the join at the bottom to have more 1k areas. I have also added white rings around locations so they are easy to colorize in paint.

I think we should use justin.tv or something similar to show conquest updates on the map in real time. you would literally be streaming the paint window between battles and gold rounds. the host would have to close the stream during battle though, or people will have tabs open with videos running.

download link (full size): http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3328/docdfinal.png

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:46:57 PM by JB87 » Logged

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »

Excellent Thanks!

http://chat.dark-omen.org

Use XChat or mIRC or our webpage/Java (Run 1st prompt and decline 2nd)

I would still like to keep our regular Tournament dates of always being last Saturday of each month, so lets Beta test this next Saturday, instead of Tournament and then keep it to every 2nd Saturday of each month in future.

I will be on this evening to play, as usual.

Smiley

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:43:32 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »

glad you like it olly Smiley

ive tried joining through the java client in the past but it throws up an error:

Startup error : java.lang.Error: Unable to load interface pixx : java.lang.SecurityException: trusted loader attempted to load sandbox resource from http://chat.dark-omen.org/pixx.java

I think ive already hit the prompts and selected 'Always from this site' so they dont popup anymore. I have used mIRC in the past so will join #dark-omen that way.

I am away the rest of this weekend but I will be available to play DOCD Sat 27th with everyone here. oh yeah, what time of day do you normally kick off the game?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:32:56 PM by JB87 » Logged

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »

Awesome I can't wait to play, this Saturday (27th August) at 5pm GMT 0

Everyone please Sign up and Confirm to play/Beta Test this new Conquest mode

http://forum.dark-omen.org/tournaments/tournamentconquest-august-t1024.0.html;msg10536;topicseen#msg10536

We will play it properly on the 2nd of every month, starting officially in a few weeks time -> September 10th Saturday 5pm GMT 0 in between our regular Tournaments (last Saturday of every month).

Hope to see you on the Battlefield for Blood and Glory!

Smiley

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:36:45 PM by olly » Logged

JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »

I decided to update my original map to look more natural and in theme with conquering a landscape. This is inspired from the DO campaign of how bernhardt moves his army around. There is alot more detail to take in at once from the original although nothing new rule wise has been added.

* map resolution increased to 1900x1400
* lines have been replaced with DO style 'dots' following natural lines in the map such as going into ports and heading around mountains. I think it creates a great feeling of actually moving your army across the world.
* old routes/regions re-positioned closer to map choke points and cities for added realism
* skulls used for gold level
* banner marks region
* letters removed from region marker for better colorization
* faction key added for dropper
* gold key added
* parchment map look to board
* seal added for the heck of it

There are three versions of the map for 4,6,* players. the starting regions were chosen carefully.

MAP1: 18 regions, 6 players, start with 7 - 8 gold with no adjacent regions held.
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3311/docdoldlight.png

MAP2: 20 regions, 4 players, all start with 13 gold with regions broke into territories of 2 and 3 regions. territories are not adjacent.
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2906/docdoldlight8.png

MAP3: 20 regions, free for all, player chooses placement. <-- great for printing and adding coloured pins in local games
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8373/docdoldlight7.png

here is a snapshot of MAP2 my personal favorite, the rest can be viewed in the links above. I like the idea of fighting over the islands and making your way through to the South Lands via boat.. avoiding any conflicts in the North. anyway what do you guys think?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:36:17 AM by JB87 » Logged

Zoko
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:05:49 AM »

About armies, will we be keeping consistant armylists?
JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »

ARMIES
Before starting a Conquestday, Players choose their Faction and elaborate 4 Base Armies (1 with 3k-5k-7k-9k).
You can create later during event more Armies to replace any of your Initial ones.
as you can see Zoko, you can change your army list as often as you want. The only requirement is to stick with your chosen faction and item list and to deploy a wizard.

Im thinking of going with Goblins which have item list 1 and morks banner. might be worth printing that section off just for easy reference when compiling new lists. they have some seriously cowardly units monsters included which might cause problems against undead.. but no list is perfect and there is no requirement to fight what your weak against to win Conquest Day.

There is no Diplomacy, no Building, no Armies Maintenance/Continuity... all gone [...]  Once Battle finishes, they write results in the chat-room and the Gold both spent is subtracted from their treasuries.

I actually had a question of my own about army deployment. I take it from the reading above about no army maintenance and gold subtraction that if I create a 9k army and win the battle... that I lose the 9k gold regardless of victory and that the real reward is holding onto the region?

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »

I actually had a question of my own about army deployment. I take it from the reading above about no army maintenance and gold subtraction that if I create a 9k army and win the battle... that I lose the 9k gold regardless of victory and that the real reward is holding onto the region?

Yes, you keep the Region -> thats the goal after all.. gold only exists for that Smiley

There is a Rule in there, the "Leader Survival" which means that if the Wizard remains alive at the end of combat... you get a small gold reward (considering the Size of your Army). It is for spending less gold, but you must care of your wizard!

I had some ideas yesterday that I will write in shortly... like what happens when "defeating another faction".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:38:53 PM by Jeronimo » Logged
JB87
Orc Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »

yes I think a 5k army will be a very tactical one in terms of cost. the Wizard is good at off setting the price of 9k armies but not without risk!

look forward to reading the update on player defeat.

Zoko
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:48:15 AM »

@JB, thats pretty much what i was asking about armies. Hopefully we can eventually expand our conquest game, because army management and having consistent armies throughout is what drew me to the idea of conquest in the first place.
kilowic
Mummy

Iron Fist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »

I have suggestion about tactic. It would be cool if when player uses for example 9k army on one front and he gets attacked from the other side he can't use his 9k army becouse "it's away from the place". That would make nice tactic possibility

My GameRanger info:
ID: 1713251
kilowic

I PLAY FAIR OMEN MOD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: