March 28, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Goblin Adventures  (Read 106134 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:24:18 PM »

Already included in the latest Mod Pack download
http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/read-me-ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

Campaign was updated see update message at end of post

A small preface.
I edit missions while Im at work to the most part, and the following week(s) we have 'all hands job' so Im unlikely to progress in the campaign. Thus I wanna post what I have already done and take a break though I am positive to go on editing it soon. To this moment I advanced as far as Mission B2_08.
Also, I have to admit it's a very tiresome pastime, and lack of time and diligence didn't allow me to use the full power of CTL/BTB editing. Actually I am sure, that entirely new missions with anything a player may wish are possible to create. At least current knowledge of the scripts allows for it. But it requires damn long time and patience to complete 25 missions in that way. I think I used only about 20% potential of the CTL/BTB editors but I still enjoyed it a lot.
And I am sorry that I opened the DO community for myself a bit too late, when the general activity is kind of ceased.
So I am not even sure if someone except my brother will try what I prepared  Smiley

Now to the campaign.

So, poor greenskins have no allies but only enemies. To make their way through, they have to suffer from all possible races and kingdoms - be it humans, elves, dwarves or undead.
A few troop types are taken from other mods. Their war-style remained the same even though certain stats had to be slightly adjusted (mostly reduced) to keep them to the game balance. If someone plays it and finds it a bit too easy, feel free to inform me.
I didn't want it to be as tough as mission 1 of RotD Smiley . I am not sure about my own skill of playing, but as an author, I certainly have an advantage. So if due to any reasons I failed to pass a mission 2 times in a row, I reduced enemy amount/strength in it.
In order to check that all scripts work properly I had to pass each mission, and some of them - more than once.
Several missions were changed drastically, though a few missions that are interesting and hard by themselves suffered only minor changes.

To install the campaign simply copy-paste the contents of the archive into the Dark Omen directory.

Updated the campaign.
-Now it contains a few new missions, and intermediate finish is Hand of Nagash. I will work on the last part as time allows.
-Plyr_All.ARM was adjusted at a few points (including a few of Darkmancer's suggestions).
 It either requires campaign restart or use Wh32Edit to copy-paste armies into the latest save file (if you do so, don't forget to restore correct experience amount for troops, and carried artifacts)
-Bogenhafen onslaught is weakened. The amount of enemy units remained the same though, but the quantity is fewer, and the wizard isn't that cruel.
-Goblin Army wasn't increased so far, let's see what other missions will prove.

2nd Update
The latest changes:
-Starting amount of money is 30000. I wonder if it's enough, I didn't pass the campaign but rather 'tested' it mission by mission, adjusting values. Probably I should just have set 50000. After all, the campaign isn't about passing with minimal loss, but just about passing.  Undecided
-Bretonia part: the assumption is that player selects to help Elrod, and then selects to help Knarlroot. I wonder if it is possible to unite tha branches by editing game script, but this is only for future.
-The last 2 battles didn't have drastic changes. I think they are tough and interesting by themselves. If to overload them with changes, it won't do good. Though of course there ARE changes, and a certain thrill as well  Wink
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:59:42 PM by olly » Logged
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »

I HATE YOU!!! raaaaaaagh...

Just played first mission once and I have to say: this campaign is a must-play - but if cuthalion designes more of these troll-campaigns, i will ignore him xD

and i still hate you!!

Shooting Mage is nice (well one bolt is sooooo powerful^^) and works properly, but i cant spell 3x Dispel/Brain Bursta anymore, only each one single :|

yeah, i still hate you. all my units died... at trading post... in singleplayer...
...well, now i know where they are coming from  Angry
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »

Always good to get new members to the community if anything it pokes old members awake Smiley

Did you change anything in engrel?

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »

2Darkmancer:
Yes, the troop names as they are displayed on the battle field were adjusted. After I reached the limit of UNUSED names  I even had to substitute a few existing ones - those that don't take part in battles.

2Hari8
It's most inspiring to hear emotional reactions Smiley
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »

^^ just won the second mission - only fighting horsemen, the rest passed^^

btw, alt-tab is working, it doesnt neither in regular DO nor in ur last campaign - what did u fix?^^

hm, goblins not fleeing against wights?! well, i'm ok with this...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:38:11 PM by hari8 » Logged
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »

Well, I think it's more intriguing when ppl don't know what awaits them Smiley so if someone else decides to play, your reports might somewhat reduce the fun. Though mb I am wrong.
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »

yes, but this occupies me, i cant stop writing^^ maybe you should put a warning into your first post^^

road to bogenhafen...

I
HATE
YOU!!!

garr. well u wont read anything from me the next 2-3 hours...
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »

Great job Cuthalion, this latest campaign is amazing. Thanks again for all your persistence in advancing our understanding of the CTL scripts.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »

Haha, it's not funny anymore...

...please, tell me how to defend Bogenhafen when at the beginning even mage and bolt throwerare fighting and still 2 HU regiments are charging me... making my crappy gobos flee and after that the rest of the "army"...

This is definetly harder (at least for me^^) than RotD where I did it to the last mission (but without a competitive army^^)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »

Well, probably the campaign requires further balancing. I can only say that I passed Bogenhafen by overthrowing a few units right on start with point-blank fire and charge from the flanks, and then managed to survive further onslaught.
My aim was neither to make it too easy so that you could pass all 25 missions within 2 days, nor make any of the missions depend on pure luck even with best tactics. I wonder what other players will say, if anyone tries the Adventures.

By the way, do you have that supplementary unit of 'Helmgart Bowmen' alive after the Road?
It's essensial that you should have them through these 3 missions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:06:39 AM by cuthalion » Logged
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »

I dont think anybody died, are these archers? I have a regiment with 5 men and the merc kav icon, but i never have this one in the fight...

Well, probably the campaign requires further balancing. I can only say that I passed Bogenhafen by overthrowing a few units right on start with point-blank fire and charge from the flanks, and then managed to survive further onslaught.
My aim was neither to make it too easy so that you could pass all 25 missions within 2 days, nor make any of the missions depend on pure luck even with best tactics. I wonder what other players will say, if anyone tries the Adventures.

Yeah of course; basically this is ok Smiley
I tried to shoot Flagellants because they kill everything in close combat, but the map is to small, 3 of them make it all the time^^ but I got a new idea now, which I will test later today Smiley
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »

No they aren't archers. I just used the name for default campaign troops that appear on Bogenhafen and Helmgaart missions.

As for those 5 goblins, they are 'Countess Guard'. I don't deploy them in battles, but I was worried that removing them from the Army altogether might cause bugs so they are there. :p
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »

I will use the time around Easter to give your mod a first try. So expect my feedback in one week. Smiley

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »

Cool, by then I will have started Part2 I hope.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 10:04:18 PM »

yep this is a tough but great alternate campaign -Thnx

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: