April 19, 2024, 06:27:06 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dwarves ctl-edited campaign  (Read 14403 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »

Hi, I'm making plans for a 'goblin adventures' modification, and would like to base my army on chaos dwarves.
I definitely need help of experienced site visitors - with ideas and links. I am not quite familiar with this fantasy world background history. I already have certain ideas in mind but I need more information.

1. Sprites. I looked through Sprites thread, but to the most part thing are discussed but real .spr file attachments are rare. I failed to download suitable things for myself. Sad
 I also looked through DOE2 mod, this is a very nice thing and I can pick up a few sprites from there definitely:

a. Sprite for Blunderblussiers:  they are cool pistoliers, nothing else to wish for.
b. Ordinary Infantry uses the same sprites as Blunders in DOE2, I'd like to have redrawn chaos dwarves infantry.
c. Immortales are kind of elite chaos dwarf infantry - cool stuff.
d. Centaurs - as far as I understand this regiment is also for the dwarves race.

What I would like to have, if here are guys who already have such sprites or can make a few for me Smiley Pretty please!

- Dual-Wielding (axe sword hammer or whatever) Chaos dwarves with Crossbows! if there is nothing such, then separately dual-wielding unit, and a crossbow unit.
- Dwarf Sorcerer
- Dwarves riding whatever suitable - actually anything except horse will work for me. But dwarves riding Centaurs would be really cool if someone could draw such a thing please, or another suitable cavalry for the army.
- Ordinary dwarven infantry - may I just use Azguz Unit for it?

Ideas for the army with sprites attached are also greatly appretiated, thank you in advance!

As I finish with the army types, I will move on to discussing enemies, banners and heads Smiley I don't want all at once because I will definitely miss something important.

Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »

http://issuu.com/chaosdwarfs/docs/gtadow
Some reference. Fan made though.

If memory serves me right the Chaos Dwarf sprites in DOE is:
a. Chaos dwarf infantry that have a blunderbuss firing animation. (The reason why it is combined is to save .sprite slots)
b. Immortales that are elite infantry
c: Centaurs that are Chaos dwarfs that are half bull half dwarf.

What you want to add is basically not units that fit with Chaos Dwarf lore (Not that that necessarily means it`s wrong)
Some examples:
1. Dwarves do not ride anything. Ever.
2. Chaos dwarves do not really use crossbows.

But what chaos dwarves do use is slaves. so goblin sprites can be used.

Some other notes
3. If you want different sprites for infantry I suggest just doing a recolor of the blunderblussiers.
4. You can use the Blunderblussier unit as wizard, that works at least.

Noone else have made any chaos dwarf sprites as far as I know so you will have to make additional stuff yourself or find someone to do it for you.

On vacation
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »

Well, I believe it's impossible to strictly stick to the Warhammer world - the army might become too boring.

Thus I'd like to have other units that are somewhat close in connection. I like Goblins but since I've just made a Goblin Campaign, I would rather fight them in a new one than add them again.
Dwarf Crossbows - well, as the army probably needs second archers, let it better be dwarf crossbows than elf bows.
How about dwarves being in alliance with the dark elves btw?..

I saw very cute pictures by Olly in thread Sprites->Dwarves but I didn't see any download links  Cry
I'd greatly appretiate a few interesting dwarf units.
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »

http://issuu.com/chaosdwarfs/docs/gtadow
Some reference. Fan made though.

Thanks for the link, it's useful for newbies to get a better insight. I got a couple of ideas from there.
Yes, the army needs a cavalry unit. Bull Centaurs, then I saw a pack of wolves somewhere. I wonder if a good painter could make wolfriders for me Smiley or I may as well use squig hoppers for more fun.
BTW Bull Centaurs are Infantry in the DOE2. Are they incompatible with the Cavalry sprites?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »

I can post some more inspirational pictures from the Warhammer Chaos Dwarf  1994 Rule Book..Warhammer Rule Books

Smiley

ps. making goblin wolf rider archers would be relatively easy, combining Grend's Hounds and my Goblin, along with the archers bow sprites. Maybe we could recolour Dark Elves to add High Elves. Load DOE Dark Elves into Sprite Viewer then Export to Gimp and Select by Colour tool and click on the purple cloak -> Windows -> Dockable Dialogues-> Colour Map -> and right click on a purple colour pallete and Edit Colour and change to Whites for High Elves.

Same rapid technique was used to alter my dwarf sprites from original blue to armour grey or flesh colour for slayers etc..as swapping colours, repaints the whole sprite sheet instantly.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:15:06 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:00:01 AM »

Hehe, nice extracts from the Rule Book, thank you Smiley

As for swap colors thing, I am familiar with it. Several units in Goblin Adventures had been coloured anew using exactly this proces: For example Elven Mage, Elven Lords, Red Trolls, a few orcs, Brienne Champions etc.

But I am a bad painter and I don't know how to combine and overlap different sprites so that they looked cool.
Olly would you be so kind as to participate with a few graphics editorial stuff Smiley

I tend to limit horsen archers in my army, because computer AI is very limited, and thus one such unit can be enough to easily destroy several strong regiments of the enemy  Tongue but if you do make goblin archer wolfriders, none prevents me from using them only as cavalry.
By the way, do I understand it right that there is Only 1 spot in sprites structure for mounted archers - Outlaw Pistoliers sprite?

And I have 1 more question about dwarf sprites in Sprites->Dwarves thread. There are no sprite files but there are pictures. CanI just 'slice' them and import into .spr files?

And 1 more thing, if it is not too hard. Olly is it possible to make those bare-skinned dwarves wield 2 swords instead of a sword and a shield? I have an idea for such a chaos-dwarf unit.

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

Nah, screw it  Sad
Spent the whole morning trying to mount goblin archers on the wolves, but they won't sit.
Probably it's not mine..failed even to properly cut out the dwarves from the .jpg sheets Olly posted in Sprites->Dwarves sections.
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »

OK My goblins finally mounted the wolves from DOE2. They will remain an infantry though, but I think the unit is OK as it is anyways.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:32:39 PM by cuthalion » Logged
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »

Played with unit sprites a bit

* dwarf pictures.PNG (71.07 KB. 924x403 - viewed 2805 times.)

Left: Main hero - Chaos Dwarf Lord (inspired by the first picture in Grend's link)
Middle - Death Rocket guy (unit includes 2 ordinary chaos dwarves as well)
Right - Slave Masters shooting/fighting. I know they didn't have XBows, but well, the pistols are already occupied by Blunderbussers... "You see the size of the gun he was fired at us? It was bigger than him" - Jules Wimfield.

* wolf riders.PNG (47.78 KB. 608x446 - viewed 1652 times.)

This kind of solves cavalry problem, though of course it is no match to Morgan guys.

The general problem is that dwarves have movement=3 and it sucks. To avoid the army being boring, I have to insert several faster troops that would be the part of the army.

kilowic
Mummy

Iron Fist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

That's a great job Cheesy man you'r going to make Dark Omen 2 in couple of months Cheesy

My GameRanger info:
ID: 1713251
kilowic

I PLAY FAIR OMEN MOD
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »

Totally agree -> excellent work

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »

Thank you.
Tried to make Sneaky Gits today. Spent damn long time to hide Goblin Shields, and only after that idea of using Goblin Archers came into my mind Sad they have less shield sprites.
Anyway, here they are

* sneaky gits.PNG (43.93 KB. 608x446 - viewed 1137 times.)

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »

Since there aren't many new posts on the forum, I wanna report that the Chaos Dwarf campaign is in progress Smiley
And also, that enemy level3 Leadbelchers are real bitches. So big that I had to reduce their level to 2 even though it's in Loren by then :p. With this done, they shoot slower and worse aimed.
And it took only 15 seconds for one ogre mage to fist-of-gork almost full regiments of bull centaurs and sneaky gits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: