April 19, 2024, 09:57:29 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Campaign  (Read 31308 times)
tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »

i had been wondering where also in conquest u got the drows from cause i had never seen drows in warhammer,only in dnd and gnomes i also hadent seen in wh before.i have mixed feelings about mixing these races with the wh stuff,specialy since the wh lore is so large that u can easely fill in any gaps in an army with actual wh races/units(half orcs=hobgoblins,these guys r between orcs and goblins,gnomes rent realy needed since dwarves in wh are great engineers and often use crosbows and siege machines)but i gues worse could have been done and if its fun to play i wont complain to much.

i will complain about other things like u saying: i belive orcs and goblins are spawned in some magical way in WH

this is a very wrong statement,orcs are fungus,they reproduse with spores(if my understanding is correctly these spores come from space and and in wh fantasy world some people claim that these spores come from morrslieb).this is why for example when u kill a group of greenskins u have to burn their bodies or new ones will spawn/grow/be born on those locations.

so humans evolved from monkeys,orcs evolved from mushrooms shouldnt be to hard of a concept to gasp,and its def not magical spawning :p   to me this lore is also way more imaginative/original then dnd/warcraft lore
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 06:06:25 AM »

so humans evolved from monkeys,orcs evolved from mushrooms
ok, what about elves?

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 11:10:34 AM »

so humans evolved from monkeys,orcs evolved from mushrooms
ok, what about elves?

I searched around for an answer to this but couldn't find any. Even GW texts simply speak of them as always having been there. I do have some recollection of them being considered a (or rather, the only) primordial race created harmonious with the world or something like that. But then this would conflict with the fluff that the Slann terraformed (or even made?) the planet before being stranded and devolved into a neolithic culture.

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »

from what i hear tovertrut you are a hardened WH-fan  Smiley

I myself use to play alot of AD&D when i was young and has only played WH on 2-3 occations and the WH fantasy world never caught me.
Nothing i make is aimed to be WH exactly, i just aim to make it work and a good story. Except for the goblin campaign which is set in WH but is only made with my very basic knowledge.

Drow is Dark Elves in AD&D, i understand that some races are covered abilitywise by other races in WH as compared to AD&D that has almost too many races lol but i cannot help it  Wink i like that.

As for the Dwarf campaign it self is neither WH nor AD&D, as i write in the Prelude its a world designed by myself with aspects from many different worlds mixed into this one. If you play Dark Omen for the feeling of Figure WH battle then you might not like the Dwarf campiagn because i have taken many liberties to make the original units fit my story.
If you like a solid story in a new and colorful world then this will be your thing  Smiley

Sorry about the mix up with the orcs

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 06:44:11 PM »

its oke :p just wanted to clear up that orcs dont magicly spawn to life :p

and i just got dwarf and goblin campaign to work,have played a few missions on both and they seem to be a nice change from the normal single player.i think i will enjoy them just as much.

i think u will find that wh has many races to tho,more then enough to come close to dnd(granted that dnd probebly has more races)many races in wh are just a part of an army tho,like ogres tend to band with humanlike armys,trolls band with greenskins,beastman and mutants will often fight under a chaos warlord,sometimes armys will vene be joined by giants,.....

and yes i am realy into the wh lore

the elf question is a good one,and i gues the same question could be asked about dwarfs.this one is a hard one to answer since the warhammer fantasy world plays of in a more medieval time and evolution/science isnt at a place where evolution is an accepted thing :p

it seems to me that elfs and dwarfs are def primates tho,and since there used to be a time when the elfs and dwarfs where alrdy a big and smart population,humans still lives in small tribes almost cavemenlike i wouldnt be surprised if dwarfs and elfs knew more about the origin of species in the wh world.

i am not to certain about when the elfs and dwarfs came to/evolved on the wh world but i do know they lives together with the old ones for a period of time as it is the old ones that learned magic to the elfs and runes(runes are not magic....)to the dwarfs.i know the old ones have moved the planet through space and placed it where it is now,and they are also responsible for letting chaos in through the gate at the north(i think this was an accident) after this the old ones seem to have left the planet.the last 2 remaining old ones on the planet are thought to have banded with the greenskins and learned magic to them as well they are known as gork and mork(greenskins worship these as gods)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

[About WH fluff]

There seems to be some discrepancy between 40K and WHF. It is generally indicated that the 40K universe predates and runs parallel with the WHF one, and that WHF is actually a world encapsulated in a chaos bubble (or something) cut off from the rest of the universe. As such it stands to reason that other races intentionally or unintentionally colonised the WHF world and arrived in star ship only to be trapped behind the chaos veil. However, this seems to be later, revised lore.

In WHFB 3rd ed the only colonising race were the Slann (later called Lizardmen?) inhabiting the region analogous to South America. They arrived in star ships and terraformed the planet, which incidentally is why most planets are strikingly similar to Earth, but for some reason went primitivist and reverted to a neolithic-shamanistic social structure. However, apparently (but not conclusively) Elves were already there, and watched the emergence of dwarves and human. The chaos races (beastmen, skaven etc) were creates as mutations from the Blight created by the chaos flare that sealed off the world from the rest of the universe.

tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »

Mikademus  seems to know more then me :p

intresting stuff.1 thing tho i dont think slann and lizardman are the same.slann where the servants of the old ones,lizardmen where often led by slann but they are different races.slann would come from this starship with the old ones and lizardmen are creatures that started life on the whf planet,lizardmen do sem to be created by the old ones(although im not sure i believe this) :p
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »

offtopic: tovertrut would u like to join conquest now? we have 1 place to go.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:12:37 PM by Flak » Logged

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »

Origins of Lizardmen in 5th Edition,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battle

"The fifth edition, released in 1996, re-introduced the Bretonnian forces, which had been left out of the 4th edition, and re-worked the Slann heavily to create the Lizardmen armies".

But I will check in my Lizardmen 5th Edition Rule book.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »

Thanks for the link, Olly. Digging around WP a bit reveals some interesting articles:

About the Old Ones and the Slann:
Though less prevalent, the Old Ones also appeared in the background material for the Warhammer Fantasy setting and the Slann are the rulers of the Lizardmen. Before the Lizardmen Army book was released, the race now known as the Old Ones were called the Slann (primary referenced in the High Elf rulebook); after the book was released, they were renamed the Old Ones allowing the name Slann to be assigned to the Mage-Priests of the Lizardmen. No current allusions are made as to the physical appearance of the Old Ones, although it is assumed they were bipedal - as was the race that served them (the Slann, who in turn presided over the Saurus and Skinks. The Saurus being the warriors, the Skinks being in charge of work requiring more finesse; pottery, scribing etc..). Some materials (Drachenfels) referred to them as the "toad men" from the stars. The Old Ones were the ones who set up the warp gates at either pole of the planet and shifted it into a more favorable orbit before encouraging the development of the native species. In older versions of the material, the Old Ones where known as the Old Slaan and were ancestors of said race, who at that time where far more humanoid (a race of psychic frog-men).

The gist of this is that the Old Ones and the Slann were the same in earlier WHF editions.

About the Slann:
In the fictional universe of Warhammer 40,000, the Slann were a reptilian or amphibian species who were servants of the Old Ones (although some sources state that they in fact are the Old Ones) not unlike the Lizardmen of Warhammer Fantasy. The Slann are reputed to have created some of the major races in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, the most notable of which are the Orks (who are hinted to be referring to them as the Brainboyz, though the most recent publication of the Ork codex has implied that the snotling fulfilled this role) and Eldar (who are the only race that keeps records from the age) who were created with their psychic abilities to take part in the war between the Necron and the Old Ones in which they were all but wiped out by the C'tan and the Enslaver plague. The Human race was a race for which basic evolution was allowed to continue without the guidance of the Old Ones.

There were five generations of Slann spawned by the Old Ones. The Slann of the first generation have all died off, many likely killed in the war between the Old Ones and the Necrontyr. This is very similar to the story of the Slann race in Warhammer Fantasy

The point of this quote is that the Slann might have made the Orks (and possible the elves?). This is somewhat incompatible with WH40k Orks, though.

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 08:37:53 PM »

im juse playing it and feels good (even though it seems extremely easy one). hovewer i have to point that mission Bretonia4 (Vingertome) is f***ng bugged. enemy mage crushes games in 80% of cases wit hhis goblin spell (wtf?). also elven archers walking on me instead shooting.

cant ifnish it due of mage crush

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 02:19:19 PM »

oh just finished that campaing and i must say it was very fine, especially htings like feeding zombies with BoW & firesword (to get them good level. still hvnt rechaed lvl4) though zombies frankly speaking suck...

knights was very good and maybe overpowered units, even though i lost them in last battle vs dread king. other dwarves weren't any good, but what can i say, that in campaing where you're deending its definately easy to get through full capmaing (except last 2 missions) with only: mage, knights, x-men, +2 meat regiments. i know it will be hard but i belive that its possible 9not going to do so, though)

i didnt placed mortair on my side in the last mission... hoevwer i used stupidness of 2 guard mummies and shooted them to 2 & 4 units with x-men... otherwise i would've possibly lost..

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: