March 28, 2024, 01:37:35 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Omen Remake?  (Read 25210 times)
DMJC
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »

Hi. What I'm interested in knowing, is how much of Dark Omen has been reverse engineered? I've seen some information around this site that seems to imply that the maps, and unit formats have been decoded. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how much of the game had been reverse engineered and would it be possible using the information that exists so far to reimplement dark omen from scratch possibly in a crossplatform form think SDL/Opengl for linux/windows/mac/whatever people want it on? I have a bit of programming knowledge and would be interested in helping out with such a project.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »

Hi DMJC,

it's currently possible to edit most of the unit data, the sprites and it's possible to change the position of objects on a map (or add new). (thx to Mika and Rob ^^)
A converter to import new M3D-Files in the game is currently in developement.
I currently find out something about the DOT-Files (that are the paths drawn on the overworld maps).

Most of the other things in the game are hardcoded into the Engrel.exe. Nobody ever looked much into this file. So at the moment it wouldn't be possible to create a new Dark Omen in my opinion.

If you want to talk to Rob or Mikademus you can join our Chat. (Java needed!)  They are sometimes only in this chan. :-)

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:34:15 PM »

At the moment, most of Dark Omens' data files have been decrypted. A 3D level editor is underway, and you can already edit most things by using the interim text-mode editors or a hex editor following the format descriptions being assembled.

Since some critical things --like 3D engine, AI, interface, some game flow detailes, and most important, game rules and logic-- are hardcoded into the executable, not everything we want to can be modded. Therefore, much thought have been put into recreating DO in a modern shape. I'd like to do it in a cross-platform shape using Irrlicht or Ogre 3D as portable and immensly powerful graphics solutions.

The only problem is manpower and time. If you would be willing to contribute to this and are proficient in C++ then you are more than welcome to join in! Please join the IRC channel, or PM me to get into direct contact with me/us.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 03:21:20 AM »

Welcome to the Dark Omen Global Community,

your 3D and C talents will be greatly appreciated.

Smiley

(I bet you're enjoying battling your way through the single player,

after we got it going on Vista).

See u in chat soon,

and hope to get on online Multiplaying

Wink

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
tarqe39
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

Remake of WH:DO is a great idea, and i thought of it a long time ago. I saw that WARTBED is underway, but i must say i think its a bad idea to build game upon orcs, since it seems not so good for fast rendering. My conclusion is that it should be made with c++,SDL, opengl, openal, mysql and xml.
And i thought of this remake more like a new game based on regiments like DO with big worlds support and low-medium graphics so it has the taste of running WH in software mode Grin
If anyone is serious about this, plz let me know, because ill try to create it on my own, but since i have almost none expirience in designing games(especially with multiple threads which will be needed), help is welcome.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »

WARTBED is built with OGRE 3D for graphics, which is an open-source 3D scene-graphed renderer that allows the user to switch between OGL and D3D. It does not use XML in favour or my vaguely named "script" declaration language which has the advantage of being more human-readable and supports a limited inheritance.

That said, you have some good ideas going! Using standard and open libraries is a good notion and will help you tremendously. If you need help with design and project architecture I will give you a hand. PM or mail me, or drop by the IRC channel and speak with me. Also, when we get it up and running, you'll be welcome to use our SVN server for your project. It will still be your project but you may benefit from our resources - all for the good of Dark Omen! Smiley

tarqe39
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »

Thank you very much! I sure am for cooperation, maybe even using same data structures and some game design ideas so we can also share game resources like 3D models, sounds and stuff.
Like i said, i will try to create something but im very busy at the moment and im low on skills, so when i get something up and running, i will put that on SVN or something so u can see how i thought of it. It will be a long road to that release, because i have to plan my system out first, perhaps little playing with UML diagrams and stuff:). If you have some knowledge of UML class diagram and game design, mabe you could take a look on my diagrams once im finished with basic system.
You said it right, Ogre is great because its solid platform for graphics, but i guess every approach has its downsides, like i wont have any GUI, so i will have to write it from scratch, what will be a pain in the arse.
I wish u good luck with WARTBED, and if u need anything, just pm or mail me Smiley
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »

I might have some slight experience with systems architecture and games development, so sure, I'll take a look at your diagrams when you've made them Smiley

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »

hey guys i just wonder have you ever tried to contact original creators of DO? im not talking about their "ownership" or w/e issues, i just mean maybe they may help you a little with that?
i gues they also was kind of fanatics while making this game...

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »

In fact, yes we have Smiley Though Olly is our ambassador I think it is correct to say that we never will speak with EA, and that we have managed to speak with some of the old development team. They still think fondly of their game and have expressed appreciation of our project!

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »

does they have any wish to participate?

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »

Fantastic Topic and I will have to write a separate POst about our Letter of Thanks to all

members/ Developers of SOTHR and Dark Omen (Mindscape), for 10 years Great Game Play,

When we all Celebrated Dark Omen's 10th Anniversary and their kind offers

to help "Further our Community's Mods" and how glad they were to see people

still enjoying their work!

Since they are all still large players in the games Industry, their Time is Precious and

Luckily we have been blessed with such Great Modding Talents, as

Mikademus, Rob and Ghabry, that we haven't had to yet use our few "banked" questions

and as it would be 10 years ago for the original Developers, so our odd question or 2 ,

(if/when we do need it), would have to be well thought out and would probably entail

Game Engine Mechanics, that would extend our Mods further.

However, its been a while since my last Contact and we have progressed so far,

New Mods and Monthly Tournaments, updated Website etc...

(still could do with Russian Translation Wink )   

that I'm sure they would appreciate a News Update!

(See Future Post)

Smiley

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:12:27 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 03:14:13 AM »

Sir Olly, it would too dificult try to know, trough this gentle people that u are going to contact, in how many lenguages this game was finally release  Angry ? Because at this point could be easily a japanese version out there  Huh? !. Well just something that was in my mind, oh yea also it could be useful if they tell us the damn way to decode the engrel.exe  Tongue, but well u are the embassador here  Lips Sealed , tx for the job  Wink !

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

in how many lenguages this game was finally release  Angry ? Because at this point could be easily a japanese version out there  Huh?

WARTBEDは日本語の訳が簡単だ。もうUNICODEをスッポト在るだから。けど、DARKOMENの方が全然日本語訳をしたくない。

Chinnico
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »

I think there there's some mispelling. I assume you wanted to say: 'yakusukoto ga' and not 'wake ga'

Tell me if I am wrong in translation:

Trasnlating WARTBED in Japanese is easy, as there is also support for UNICODE. Anyway the people of DARKOMEN don't know japanese at all.

Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: