March 29, 2024, 12:47:17 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New BETA Fotress Siege Map  (Read 28774 times)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »

* WHFortress2.jpg (142.65 KB. 616x468 - viewed 1324 times.)

With the recent advances in Mod tools, such as Rob's .m3d to .m3x Map Gridder, combined with his BTB Editor(boundaries,obstacles) and Mikademus' Text Map Editor (positioning scenery and setting thier attributes) and his Map Viewer, plus Ghabry's Map Pack + WH32Edit so it can deploy up to 39 units), it is now possible for us to Mod existing Dark Omen Maps, using their original Map Dimensions. However, to properly mod maps and speed up the process a Height Map Generator is still required and thankfully work is currently underway.

So I have been busy combining all these amazing Mod tools and modding Dark Omen's Final Mission Black Pyramids Map (removing them from the the BASE.M3D in Blender 3D) to create a BETA version of a Fortress Siege Map that should be ready for next month's Tournament to test. I'd really like to play Dark Omen Expanded 2 with all its glorious new Troops so we can produce a new Promo Vid -New Units on New Maps!

I've added a River and making Stone Bridges so Troops will travel up and over the water (never done before in original but fairly easy to do Height Map adjustments). Troops can already walk up and down the Battlements and Towers on Patrol Waypoints (a feature we rarely use until now, since they can be given upto 8 waypoints and then cycle through them on Patrol loops.

So will release the BETA for next month as we got Flak's altered Deployment zones on Map Pack to enjoy first, for this month's Tournament hopefully. All Textures will be improved such as Roads and Walls/Tower doorways and Roof Hatches etc... early days of testing concepts and all fine adjustments will be made on final realese. The Towers and Walls High Terrain increases the Troops Range of Fire and Line Of Sight.

* Fortress2.jpg (168.15 KB. 640x480 - viewed 764 times.)

* Fortress.jpg (140.56 KB. 640x480 - viewed 839 times.)

DQ | by Aeva

DQ | by Aeva

River and Middle will be based on SOTHR 1st Map

http://img545.imageshack.us/i/sothr2.jpg/]http://img545.imageshack.us/i/sothr2.jpg/[/url]][IMG]

http://img856.imageshack.us/i/btbf.jpg/]http://img856.imageshack.us/i/btbf.jpg/[/url]][IMG]

To avoid a Camper's Wet Dream scenario of Hosting and defending the Fortress, I have made the Host be the attacker. Whilst being out ranged by Projectiles being fired from the walls and Towers, there will be multiple paths/routes to advance into strategic locations that will also provide cover/respite such as Trees and other scenery. Once up really close to the Towers you will disappear from their Line of Sight (I guess we need Pitch to pour down hehe) but they are still able to target the general area or move down to a wall (protected crenulations may hinder further) to see you better. The aim is to blast the Defender off the Battlements so they retreat and seek shelter behind the walls inside the Fortress and loose their Line of Sight, allowing you to advance up close and advance through the Tunnel Entrance (also provides shelter from the side wall archers' arrows). Since it's the largest map there will also be future alternate deployment zones available.

Its always been my view that to aid balancing issues, Historic Battles (like in Rome Total War) are great, where pre-set sides are used. So since I have made this map to utilise up to the 39 unit max, it may have 10 Units for the Defender against 15 for the Attacker (after all Sun Tzu advises never to attack a Defended position with equal troops as you will naturally loose) and if you ever played the Total War games online, its just full of kids hosting a map where they are sat defending on their hill, and expect you to trudge up slowly into their rows of archers etc.. good for Single Player for not for Multiplayer. At least in Historic Battles the scenario often dictates that you are expected to loose and full kudos if your skills find a way to win. Our Warhammer Rule Books have lots of these Historic Battles that I'm hoping to recreate in the future. Therefore this Map will naturally be a challenge to conquer the Fortress but really its been to investigate what was required for new Mod maps while work on a Height Map generator progresses and if we our confined to a using existing maps as a our Templates. Hopefully we may find they can be enlarged.

I'm desperate to finish this map (bridges and Houses and Trees to go) and for everyone to then play Dark Omen Expanded 2 to get some amazing new Promo battle vids. My intention of recreating part of SOTHR 1st mission is that the start of the vid will show the games progression for SOTHR on PC to PSX then multiplayer DO and now New Units on New Maps etc.. our shared dream. This map will be eventually be available in single player to practice on and will be great inspiration for the next task of Single Player CTL scripts (AI Waypoints/Trigger) and the campaign flow/routes future mods.

This year is going to be amazing!

Thnx to all

Smiley

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:27:48 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »

Beta Bridge and Tower

Dark Omen Bridge&TowerDQ | by Aeva

*Update* - *New Wooden Bridge for River crossing at top of map* That uses original textures for a bridge on Trading post but was never used, as I personally found out - troops find it hard to navigate over bridges and they have to be too wide.

Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:34:35 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »

Speaking of wet dreams, Olly, you're making mine! Smiley Looks amazing! <teaser>And it will be even more so when we soon can easily adjust the height maps.</teaser>

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »

BETA Version Released for this month's Tournament - I have left out all the Houses(inside Fortress and also SOTHR Village) as not completed their Textures yet and also fine adjustments of Boundaries etc (especially the crenellations (castle walls) where they rise and fall in blocks, this will come later when Mikademus kindly adds this to his Map viewer so I can align them properly) but it will still be nice to test that everything works. Future Destructable walls mod soon.

http://wiki.dark-omen.org/do/DO/Destructable_Walls

**Update** -Added trees and just Houses to go

Also added a Secret Burial Mound that allows troops to walk through the cave entrance and appear in an underground tunnel that leads to a Fortress Tower, so they can gain access and flank the enemy! This acts as an incentive to cross the bridge and use the left hand side of the map. The Bridge Guard Tower is there as a strategic location to fall back to, incase the enemy charge out from the Fortress. Most of the woods/trees are specifically placed and designed to be impassible (too densly wooded), except the wooded Hill on the right hand side of the map, that is perfect for hiding troops (Elves/Treemen) and launching Mortor attacks onto the Fortress Towers.

BETA Version - Fortress Map  -

Have Map Patch installed as this replaces the Black Pyramids Final Map (Large Deployment Zones)

Rename your original Dark Omen B5_01B folder to B5_01BOrig and replace with new B5_01B

Browse to C:\Program Files\Dark Omen\Sound and

Add the 3 Music files to your Dark Omen Music folder

Add Battle3.FSM  to your Dark Omen Script folder

Play Altdorf Mission (almost last Single Player Game Save) to play this but our next project is to enhance the Single Player Campaign, so this is just a quick demo.

Multiplayer = Black Pyramids Large Deployment Zone (More Alternate Zones coming soon)
Use 15v15 Auto Deploy so u can place Multiple Archers and Artillary on the Walls and Towers.
Single Player Mission Altdorf (last but 1 game save from end)
Game Saves   =    

DownLoad Fortress Map

http://www.filefactory.com/file/25sfbcskny67/n/FortressBETA.zip

**Tips**
Please remember to use - and + to alter your troops formation for narrow places and to line up on the Walls/Towers. Give them Multiple Waypoints to Patrol the Fortress Towers/Walls and to cross Bridges, create a waypoint just before the Bridge, another in the middle of the Bridge and a third waypoint after the Bridge or Tunnels. You can create upto 8 waypoints and then click back on the first Flag to make it go Red which allows your Troop to cycle through the waypoints on a Patrol loop. Manually charge your troops to retain their Narrow Formation, when navigating through Tunnels and Bridges, since they will automatically spread out to their widest formation when told to attack an enemy which increases their number of units in Melee, when wrapping around opponent. Bridges and Tunnels are desgined to allow single units to escape from larger troops of cavarly, who will naturally find confined ares more diffcult to navigate. This Fotress Seige Map, is over complicated but designed to showcase all of our Mods combined into a Single Promotional Map, since recreating typical Simple Dark Omen Maps is very easy to do, in comparison.

Smiley

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:29:21 PM by olly » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: