March 29, 2024, 01:11:30 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Need some assistance with Sprite making!  (Read 9512 times)
Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »

Hello everybody!

I have just started making a few sprite modifications of my own, to be used in a new single-player campaign (of which I can give more information about in a seperate topic)

And I have run into unexpected trouble, which I for the life of me can't make heads or tail of!
A regiment I have been working on, that is; using an already existing sprite (Imperial Bowmen) and making changes to it, when viewing them in RDose and in the game itself, naturally, the sprites seem to have a permanent light-green layer over the different colours with only one exception, and this green colour also forms a box around the sprite.

Obviously there's some problem with the colors, but I don't quite see what.
I use Gimp to make the modifications and the sprites are in 16 colours, and components are <8 so they are not transparent.

To make the sprites I have envisioned, I need to change a few colours in the palette. Is it this that cause this strange effect? And if so, what do I do wrong?
What is the method to make changes to an already existing sprite work?

I don't have a picture of this freaky green mist as of yet, but I will soon get one if it helps.

Most gracious for advice.
Mr Shadow

”Die Uhr geht vorwärts und sagt Tick-Tack, Rommel geht rückwärts und sagt Taktik”
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »

Any New Sprites must be made in 4bit 16 Colours

http://forum.dark-omen.org/sprites/sprites-t190.0.html

So check your first and second colours are the same value/colour as original, since it is the back ground colour and also the shadow colours and also check the last black colour. Please also ensure the file has been indexed within GIMP ->Image->Mode->Indexed -> 16 colours

If u still have problems just start again on original bowmen sprite and change its colour pallette to be like your new sprites and then cut and paste from new into original again and Save As different name.

Smiley

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:27:06 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »

As you can see on the picture the color at palette index 0 in the color map (top left one) is the background green. Palette Index 0 becomes transparent in the game.

Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:25:49 PM »

Ha!
Well, it just had to be that easy, didn't it!  Grin 
-And yet, I don't think I would have figured it out on my own.

So when I finally clued in on what you were trying to tell me; It all worked out fantastic!

And here is the proof, a before and after picture, as it is only proper to present when an operation has been successful. Wink

Before:

And After:

If your imagination fail you for some reason, let me give you a hint; they are High Elf Archers!
But I must point out that they are not quite finished yet, when I have gained some more experience and figured out what does and doesn't work, I'll give 'em a good make-over.  Smiley

Last but not at all least; thank you very, very much Olly and Ghabry for your swift intervention!
Now the project can resume...

Best Regards.
Mr Shadow

”Die Uhr geht vorwärts und sagt Tick-Tack, Rommel geht rückwärts und sagt Taktik”
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »

And let me add, nice sprites! Smiley

warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:08:53 PM »

I like them too.

"Did you know that there are those days that  even my lucky underpants with spacerockets won't help." "Then u did everything that was in your power ."
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:29 PM »

Aye, sup with the banner though?

On vacation
Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »

Thanks all!

Well Grend, the banner is of my making in fact, and not a complete accident...  Wink Grin

There is a couple more questions that I would like to have an answer to, and I don't seem to be able to find them on my own, so I'll try my luck with you gentlemen.
Here goes:
1. Do I have to re-align, or center the modified Sprites in RDose just like Banners? I have not detected any faults this far, but is it something I should keep in mind?

2. What happens if I make some parts of a sprite larger or wider than the original sprite, that is overstepping the pink square in RDose, will any such parts dissappear?

Regards.
Mr Shadow

Wkurwiony
Skeleton Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:12:19 AM »

hey

for the 1st question : you dont have to center them as you cant tell if they are a bit to the left or right so why bother ?
2nd question : i recently made some orcs and from what ive seen when you go outside that pink frame, that part of sprite will be invisible
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 01:17:09 AM »

Use the Red Dot to Centre Align your Sprites, to keep position and height the same, as seen for Banners

http://forum.dark-omen.org/sprites/some-stuff-i-made-today-t369.0.html

and

http://forum.dark-omen.org/sprites/armie-book-images-t386.15.html

Increase the whole sprite sheet by 200% to increase the original Sprite Borders, like Rob advised me to do for my Giant, to fit it onto an original sprite.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/index.php/topic,72.msg2608.html#msg2608

Smiley

ps.  i can't see your new sprites, as page not found,
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:26:07 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »

Hehe ok, it just looked somewhat like what images on computer screens look like when you use a camera to take pictures of them.

I would not touch the alignment of sprites honestly. Usually you can just resize the sprite picture a bit, and you will be able to have larger sprites, without having them become strangely positioned. So there really is no need, and you may risk messing things up badly if you do.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:29:09 AM by Grend » Logged

On vacation
Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:32:15 AM »

Thank you very much again!
I had a faint idea that I had read about those Sprite borders somewhere before, just didn't remembered where.
The reason I asked is that, the way I want to make the sprites, some of them would need just a little bit more height.
I can do it at a pinch anyway, I think i have found the sprites I can use as models, I just think the final result would be so much better if I didn't  :Smiley (damn the perfectionist in me...)

I think I understand what to do Olly, i'm just not sure at this moment if I should bother with the extra work.
I imagine that if I use a larger sprite border for a relatively small sprite, I would have trouble aligning it?

Oh well, I'll poke about and see what I can find. (that's what she said  Wink)

And about the pictures; here we go again:

(Imageshack doesn't seem to agree with me at the moment for some bloody reason Tongue )
Mr Shadow

PS. No worries Grend, that comment of yours gave me a good laugh! Mind you, that was the first banner I did, and I think that I will revise it at a later date.
And yeah, I'll certainly try not to over-complicate things, that's why I need this forum to keep me on the strait and narrow. Smiley Thank you!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: