Author Topic: Giant  (Read 25144 times)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

I'm thinking about drawing some very early Giant
concept drawings but wondering about how tall he
should be compared to existing original Troll/DreadKing

Correct Giant size of a future possible Giant would have to be Taller than Dread King and Troll

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:34:05 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:06:22 AM »

Do you have a picture of the "original" Giant?

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »

The SOTHR Giant Description is my Old Favourite Giant,

Standing 4 times the height of a human, although the Shadow of The Horned Rat
in-game Sprite looks quite Different.

Keep them Away from Bugman's Brewery! SOTHR Mission 14

and since he is my Favourite Giant Sprite I will create him for Dark Omen.

Early Test Beta - Sprite Increase original Sprite Sheet by 200% to fit Giant onto Original Sprite.

and then I may eventually create the more Modern Giant who fights, primarily for the Greenskins.

I will base the Giant's Sprite Movements on the Treeman

Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:15:50 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »

Giants are mercenaries, all the armies (even the undead !) can hire them. Wink

See you, space scorpion !
Malus
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »

Is the giant bigger than the treeman?  Wink

And big question too, which unit sprite do you change to giant?
Or are you able to add new sprites to the game without change the original sprites?

"I live to cheat death."
Commander Morgan Bernhardt

"We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:29:36 PM »

In theory there is the capacity to add 12 new Units, due to room for a possible Dark Omen Addon that sadly never happened.(See dwarf sprite post for details)

However, its much easier to overwrite existing files and then to flip between original and Mod armies (Future Mod Installer or manaully copy and paste). Any sprite can be used as its own 16 colour pallete will be modded with any new sprite, it just depends on selecting a suitable sprite that has same stances or movements but i can easily adapt the new Giant's Frames to work on the Troll or any other sprite.

To learn more check out my other Sprite posts and

http://wiki.dark-omen.org/do/Updated_Sprite_Format

We can add as many as we like by overwriting existing ones, adding all races/units and switch via the Mod installer.

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:10:47 AM by olly » Logged

Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »

Is the giant bigger than the treeman?  Wink
It should be like 2 times bigger Tongue

See you, space scorpion !
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »

i can't wait to see new sprites in the game, especially giants and dwarves and lots of other. i beleive it will be very funny if new campaing will be issued with fully new sprites!

like instead of mage, there will be a giant, instead of mortair there will be a mage, etc..

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »

My eventual Dwarf v Greenskin Mod will also contain

New Campaigns and new Mutliplayer Characters, such as

1) Orc Boar Charriots
2) Goblin Wolf Charriots
3) Goblin Wolf Rider Archers
4) Goblin Wolf Riders and Spider Riders
5) Goblin Stickers/Spearmen
6) Pump Wagon
7) Doom Glider
6) Giants
7) Orc Warboss, (mounted option), Black Orcs and many of my other favourites

8 ) Dwarf Crossbowmen, Axemen, Thunders, Armoured etc
9)  Dwarf Hammers and many other assorted Dwarves, including a few Chaos Dwarf.

but will also contain new Audio/Speech/Music and possibly new Cutscenes and Game Menus to demonstrate the power of our(Rob/Mikademus etc) Mod tools, as well as being set on Modded maps that will have new 3d Buildings and scenary to alter game play tactics. However, as you know, it does take alot of time but thats my eventual idea and hopefully we will have other races to combine into a Mod Addon package with a User friendly Mod Installer which they simply click on a Picture of a Race to alter the game and Launch Dark Omen.

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:27:55 AM by olly » Logged

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »

oh sir its hears great.
but how are you goning to utilize AI scripts? (like we know that in campaings everything is scripted and even with adding new 3d models there nothing will be changed apart from ghraphic. were u able to chaneg it?)

thanks for the great modding!

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:40:57 AM »

With Rob's BTB editor and other excellent Tools it will be possible

to alter the Waypoints of the AI and Behavouir and possibly how they Enter the

Battlefield but unfortunately there will be some restrictions, we would imagine.

So you will have to wait for WARTBED for complete Campaign remakes.

Smiley

ps By adding new 3d buildings it adds tactics to the battlefield; my Last Level Pyramids

has many buildings/obstacles that break up the middle of Battlefield and add more Line of Sight -> Tactics.

Wink
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:13:04 AM by olly » Logged

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »

Hoping to one day finish my favourite original Giant but I'm currently creating the new Warhammer Giant, using the excellent Call of Warhammer 3d Character models to make new Dark Omen sprites ->

http://forum.dark-omen.org/2d-sprites/call-of-warhammer-3d-models-to-dark-omen-2d-sprites-t805.0.html

Work in progress ->  

*Update* - Have enlarged the Troll sprite by 200% and swapped its colour palette for the Giant and then matching the Troll's poses.

I'm pleased how the Level of Detail has been transferred, such as the Giant's hand print on his belly (warpaint) and the cow and man hanging from his belt. (Guide will follow soon)

Smiley

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:53:41 PM by olly » Logged

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 09:57:57 PM »

Great Giant sprite! It looks very real Olly.
I can't imagine how much time takes to do it with that precision.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 01:22:33 AM »

Thanks, its much quicker and better looking than anything I could hand draw, my guide will show how easy it is to produce good quality sprites and Call of Warhammer have made models for nearly every single Warhammer character!

Smiley

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:07:37 AM »

I have already said to Olly how great his giant was Tongue) let me comment on it now.

You need to check it thoroughly, but to my mind the last (4th) column is redundant. If a unit sprite has 3 columns, DO varies them in order 2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3.
It is important. 95% of the DO sprites require only 3 columns in each section. They wont be compatible with 4-column. And only a few complicated ones have 4 or 5. For example, Treeman movements have 5 as he is moving both hands and legs smoothly and DO artists perfectly displayed it by using 5 columns. Cavalry also have 5, but I believe it will be pretty hard to pick up correct horse-rider pics in 3D Studio. We will see Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: